Epic Games: Doom 64 [FREE]

pseudopop

I thought this might interest the old people here, ie. everyone.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/doom-64

Play the enhanced version of the original game released on the Nintendo 64 in 1997. Years have passed since you stopped Hell’s invasion of Earth. Quarantined for humanity’s safety, the UAC research facilities on Mars were abandoned and forgotten...until now.

Apparently this is a standalone game and a direct sequel to Doom II, not a console port of either of the original games. It has new levels, new enemies, new everything. It's made by a different team than other Doom games, but people on Reddit seem to think it's honestly a good game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

When I was playing Quake II my boys were little (4 &5) and they had previously not been allowed to see (anyone) play these kind of games.

They loved to watch me play and would cheer me on.  The boss fights were too scary though, they would hide under my desk until I was victorious and it was safe to come out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Paul Young said:

My game collection is as big as my VST collection. I stopped collecting free games.

I rarely buy games anymore but I'm still getting the free games. Epic has donated some good stuff over the years.

I hope I'll live to be bicentennial, because that's how long it's going to take (at least) to go through my backlog of games.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am limiting myself to only one game at a time. 

I was playing Oblivion,  but stopped for some reason I can't remember.  Now I don't know what my quest was... anyway.

Now I am playing PGA Tour I got off Steam in a nice sale. I started a "career"... Will see how far I get with that! It's really a nice golf game.

36 minutes ago, Grem said:

I was playing Oblivion,  but stopped for some reason I can't remember.  Now I don't know what my quest was... anyway.

I liked Oblivion. But I got stuck in the Main Quest trying to shut down that damn Oblivion Gate in "Breaking the Siege of Kvatch". Never could figure that out and gave up, LOL! :)

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Breaking_the_Siege_of_Kvatch

Inside the gate:

• Enter the Kvatch Gate to a hellish world filled by lava. At this point, two or three Scamps (or other level-dependent creatures) will start attacking, but you will get some assistance from Ilend Vonius, one of the surviving guards, who went in before. He can be told to stay or leave the choice is entirely optional, at lower levels he will provide some help, but at higher levels (10+) he will die quite quickly.
  • Start out by following the path west. The objective will be the large tower in the middle. Along the way several more level-dependent monsters will be encountered. Watch out for the red Harrada plants and other small flora on the ground as these are capable of attacking and hurting the Hero or Ilend, if they chose to bring him.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, abacab said:

I liked Oblivion. But I got stuck in the Main Quest trying to shut down that damn Oblivion Gate in "Breaking the Siege of Kvatch". Never could figure that out and gave up, LOL! :)

I played Oblivion a while ago, and that title sounds familiar - chances are I got stuck on that quest too. That's when YouTube comes in handy 😜

25 minutes ago, antler said:

That's when YouTube comes in handy 😜

I tried that, but even with help I still had to put it down. Then life got in the way for a while, and I just lost my momentum I suppose. Maybe one of these days... 😉

I still remember that large tower looming ahead. But could never reach it before being killed. Over and over and over.... 🤪

Edited by abacab
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Grem said:

I am limiting myself to only one game at a time. 

Now I am playing PGA Tour I got off Steam in a nice sale. I started a "career"... Will see how far I get with that! It's really a nice golf game.

I usually have  a couple I am always playing - the main one there is Rocket League - with a couple of others I still play once I take care of any weekly/seasonal stuff in Rocket League.  Currently I'm replaying Borderlands 1 (the GOTY/remaster though - and makes perfect sense with about 1,400 games in my Steam library alone...) and playing through Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.  I play some GamePass games to get rewards points to keep getting free months of GamePass Ultimate too but not many of those grab me for more than whatever the challenge is for the rewards.  Hades might be one to really get me, though, I'm sure I could plow through that and enjoy it while reaping 50 points per achievement.

Sheesh, the hours - no, days - wasted on the original DOOM for DOS. Back in the day I'd pack up my desktop computer and haul it over to a friend's house where we'd network our computers and play DOOM all day long. He lived in a high rise apartment building, and when leaving after a marathon session I noticed that when the elevator door opened I reflexively stepped to one side as if expecting an imp to step out.

Not to brag, but I was unstoppable in deathmatch, even against the Microsoft guys who apparently did nothing else at the office all day except play DOOM. You don't want to go head-to-head with a piano player in a keyboard-controlled game.

At my last real job in the 90's, I made a DOOM map of the campus where I worked. The boss found out about our game sessions and tasked me with writing a program that would seek out and destroy all games from employees' computers. Which I happily did. It freed up a lot of bandwidth for the IT department, resulting in better framerates for our own sessions.

Despite my onetime obsession with DOOM, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage, etc. I've had no interest in run 'n gun shooters for some time. Skyrim ruined those types of games for me. Nowadays it's gotta be an open world, story-driven and strategic. Preferably one that supports modding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1