SIDECHAINING WITH OUTBOARD COMPRESSOR

El Gato Loco

Meaning you want to have a track/bus in CW drive the siechain input of your compressor while it processes some other track/bus? I have not tried it but it should be pretty straightforward  if you have the spare I/O channels availalable on your interface. Use an External Insert in the FX bin to apply the compressor to the relevant track/bus and route the sidechain signal to it via a Send on the other track/bus to another output.

Are you encountering some specific issue?

Hi David

Meaning you want to have a track/bus in CW drive the siechain input of your compressor while it processes some other track/bus?

Yes that's the goal.

In order to hear if this works, I'm setting up a "ducking" environment as it easier to hear if the sidechain works.

HW SETUP

COMPRESSOR
I have the External dbx266x compressor INPUT ports connected to OUT port 5 and 6 of my interface
The Outport ports ot the DBX compressor connected to input 5+6 of the interface.

OUTPUT Port 8 of the interface is connected to the INSERT port of the Compressor.

In CW

Track 1 is an audio track with a song and I created an FX External Insert to the Compressor using ports 5+6 on this track 

Track 2 contains a recorded voice with some pauses in order to hear if it triggers the compressor on TRACK1 and release it when not talking.
On track 2 I created a SEND to port 8 of the compressor

Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

NOTE: I'm able to have this working using my FocusRite just as a Mixer without using Cakewalk.

Screenshot 2022-08-17 193049.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-17 193208.jpg

18 hours ago, El Gato Loco said:

OUTPUT Port 8 of the interface is connected to the INSERT port of the Compressor.

If the sidechain input jack is configured as an INSERT (i.e. input/send signal between TS and output/return between RS of a TRS  plug), then you might need to be using one side of a 'Y' Insert cable to take the mono output from your interface to the input side (TS) of the Insert jack. If you're using a mono cable with TS plugs at both ends or a stereo/balanced cable with TRS at both ends that might be the problem.

Did that come up in your discussion with dbx?

Hi there. 

Yes I tried with the Y cable too. 

At the end we went back trying basic setup. 

We realized that only channels 2 was actually working and I was trying the setup using stereo comping. 

In the scenario using only the interface, with no Daw in the equation,  a mistaken wrong routing I made was actuality making it working, because at the end I was not able to repro the working environment. 

Dbx support is great and effective. 

I think it's a plus 

Edited by El Gato Loco