Change gain/volume on track/clip directly?

David Owen

Is there something similar to adjusting the gain/volume without having to use envelopes?  One can click on a waveform/clip/track in Studio One and raise or lower it with the mouse which is handy.  I was wondering if Sonar had something like this.

I find the best way to do this is to change the clip envelope - I know it sounds like using an envelope, but it doesn't actually involve drawing one.

If you change the filter on the clip to Clip Gain, then hold the CTRL key down, you can move the volume up and down for the clip.

As this just affects the clip, you're still free to use volume automation for the track independently:

clip_volume.gif

You can of course do this with the track volume as well, but this will be overridden by any fader changes or track volume automation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 2

6 hours ago, David Owen said:

Is there something similar to adjusting the gain/volume without having to use envelopes?  One can click on a waveform/clip/track in Studio One and raise or lower it with the mouse which is handy.  I was wondering if Sonar had something like this.

The different ways to do it is more intrusive than just moving the Track Fader or gain knob with your mouse.

FYI:  Gain and Track Fader Volume or 2 different things. Gain raises the volume pre effects and pre-sends, unlike the Track Fader that can be post for effects and sends

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you change the filter on the clip to Clip Gain, then hold the CTRL key down, you can move the volume up and down for the clip.

One can do this also without changing the filter to Clip Gain first, just hold CTRL key down and click in the lower half portion of the clip to drag the Clip Gain envelope up and down. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Or, use the Process > Apply Effect > Normalize to the desired peak value. I have normalize on a keyboard shortcut so it doesn't take much time to, for example, drop the peak to -6 dB.

Edited by Craig Anderton
Remove redundant solution, add another option
  • Like 2

I've been lobbying (for a good while) for a static "Clip Gain" parameter.  😉

This static clip-gain parameter would ideally scale the waveform up/down.

This makes it quick/easy to level out the volume of tracks.

Clip Gain Envelope works... but it's a slower process (and no waveform scaling).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I've been lobbying (for a good while) for a static "Clip Gain" parameter.  😉

This static clip-gain parameter would ideally scale the waveform up/down.

This makes it quick/easy to level out the volume of tracks.

Clip Gain Envelope works... but it's a slower process (and no waveform scaling).

That’s what Process, Apply effect, Gain does,  It will Apply Clip gain to the clip or selection and scale the waveform.  That’s the way I do some pre-leveling of lines, words or syllables.

1 hour ago, Blogospherianman said:

That’s what Process, Apply effect, Gain does,  It will Apply Clip gain to the clip or selection and scale the waveform.  That’s the way I do some pre-leveling of lines, words or syllables.

FWIW, I'm well aware of the destructive processing option.  😉

The static gain change to which I'm referring is non-destructive.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 9:47 AM, Max Arwood said:

Like Samplitude. Which is way behind on midi  But has a few really nice Audio features I wish were in sonar. Like the one Jim is talking about. 

I agree...

Samplitude started out as a really advanced (realtime) audio editing application.

It had many realtime processing options decades ago... which was revolutionary back then.

I'd LOVE to see that "Static Clip Gain" control added to CbB.

I'm mixing a project for a client as we speak... and it would certainly help speed up the process.

Yes, I can work around it... but it's not the same.  It would be a huge time saver.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, MARTIN NICKLESS said:

Hi could somebody put this in English please as I’m not familiar with the jargon you’re using what are envelopes thank you so much

Envelopes are the visual representation of automation used to control various aspects of the data and performance in the DAW. 

There is a large amount of information in the documentation about automation and how to use envelopes. There is even a glossary of terms in the documentation. For example,

Envelopes

Reflects the changes in value for a specified parameter (volume, for example) over a period of time. Also refers to the graph of the change—same as vector.

See Automation.

I am sure there are quite a few videos on the subject too. Youtube is pretty good resource for them.