XLN Audio: Early bird sale - 50% Off

MusicMan

3 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

For everyone complaining about the lack of content releases, is there something you are looking for in particular, or do you just want shiny new things?

Most of the rock stuff I do sounds fine with Fairfax.  Sometimes I'll do stuff that might  be called Neo-Soul, and for that it's Kontakt's Abbey Road 60s.  

For electronic stuff I use Battery or RMV.   It's crazy, but there's a 20 year old library from Wizoo I still use for chillout things.

I can't say I've felt the need for more drum packages.  

They want shiny new things. They're getting easily bored with their toys, and who knows, maybe their wives too.

• Haha 2

How do you guys like the Funk kit? I've chosen my 9 pack, and for the 10th one I felt Indy was kind of redundant after all the rest (for hard rock and various other styles), but the Funk sounds more versatile for things other than just Funk and I liked it's overall sound. I really wanted to like Retroplex, but I really didn't like it's snares from the YouTube videos. 

Here's my 10 I think:

1. Reel Machines
2. United Heavy
3. Fairfax 1
4. Fairfax 2
5. Vintage Dry
6. Black Velvet 
7. Modern Jazz Sticks 
8. Blue Oyster 
9. Black Oyster 
10. Funk

As for companies not coming out with new stuff; what about Sound Toys? Have they come out with anything new at all that wasn't a free update to the already Sound Toys 5 we all have? I mean what are those guys doing over there?? Why aren't they making something else?? I mean the current stuff is great and all that but what if I wanna buy something else? 

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with their AD2 preferences.  So far, I have only selected one** of my AD Packs from the bundled promo we got way back when. Thoughts on singles and patterns would also be appreciated because I will have 3 each of those on account.

**I was inspired to get Mallets by this:

Edited by User 905133
to add the inspiration for getting Mallets
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

For everyone complaining about the lack of content releases, is there something you are looking for in particular, or do you just want shiny new things?

I don't argue for additional content, in the contrary I am glad if there are not too many updates.

Though I own 6 AD drum packages today (I like them all) and a couple of MIDI paks, but frankly there is one thing that I would welcome: I am missing a kick with real dry samples (similar to the Kontakt nn-Drummer libraries, they sound more realistic to me, remind me of my old group days! 😄). IMO the AD kick samples have too much room even in the base kick track (I mean if you solo without room/overhead). This makes it very difficult to mix if you want a dry kick and if you want to use your own drum room reverb!

Yes, you can improve the kick base sound by changing the volume envelope or use transient manipulation, but it will never replace good dry samples!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marled said:

am missing a kick with real dry samples (similar to the Kontakt nn-Drummer libraries, they sound more realistic to me, remind me of my old group days! 😄). IMO the AD kick samples have too much room even in the base kick track (I mean if you solo without room/overhead). This makes it very difficult to mix if you want a dry kick and if you want to use your own drum room reverb

Have you tried the AD Vintage Dry? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marled said:

Though I own 6 AD drum packages today (I like them all) and a couple of MIDI paks, but frankly there is one thing that I would welcome: I am missing a kick with real dry samples (similar to the Kontakt nn-Drummer libraries, they sound more realistic to me, remind me of my old group days! 😄). IMO the AD kick samples have too much room even in the base kick track (I mean if you solo without room/overhead). This makes it very difficult to mix if you want a dry kick and if you want to use your own drum room reverb!

Don't forget to kill the FX sends on the AD2 mixer, and then switch to the AD2 Edit tab and kill all of the master processing. Not much you can do with anything baked into the actual samples though...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with their AD2 preferences.  So far, I have only selected one** of my AD Packs from the bundled promo we got way back when. Thoughts on singles and patterns would also be appreciated because I will have 3 each of those on account.

And what a track to be inspired by! I was just playing that video on our television again earlier this week. I love Playing For Change, it's such a great idea and so beautifully executed. Everyone plays great on this track, but the drummer, Stephen Perkins, lays down the beat with a great feel. Bonham would be proud. The first rock album I ever bought was Zeppelin III (when I  was 5), so I've been a huge Zep fan all my life. Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi also gave amazing performances, although everyone did. 

On a related note, last week I picked up Majetone's Truck Drums 2 for under $15. I have a ton of drum sample libraries from NI, Toontrack, XLN, SSD, SR, Drum Drops... But no one has done a better job at getting that Zeppelin / Bonham feel the developer/drummer owner of Majetone. It's a KONTAKT library, but man, it is one of the most satisfying sampled drum kits I've ever played sound-wise (although that's only playing it on the keys, not my Roland V Drums; I actually don't like how the developer mapped the ride/crash cymbal on the same note or that it only has two ride Tom's, but the sound is so incredible,  I can overlook that)  and I felt like when I played it, I still sounded like me, not like a Bonham impersonator.  Otherwise,  the AD2 Mallets adpak is one of the few AdPaks that I don't own. I'd be interested in what you think of it. I didn't pick it up because I have a Superior Drummer mallet library I'm happy with. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, Christian Jones said:

Have you tried the AD Vintage Dry? 

Yes, this is one that I have. It sounds somehow dry, but there is almost only the beater sound.

Just now I have gone through all the AD kicks that I have (10 kicks) and frankly, to me none of them sounds roughly as realistic as for example the one of NI's 60s or 70s drummer!

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Oh yeah, John Paul Jones!

Plus lots of other talent, including Derek Trucks and his better half! :)

3 minutes ago, marled said:

Yes, this is one that I have. It sounds somehow dry, but there is almost only the beater sound.

Just now I have gone through all the AD kicks that I have (10 kicks) and frankly, to me none of them sounds roughly as realistic as for example the one of NI's 60s or 70s drummer!

I like the Pork Pie Custom 22"x18" & 24"x18" in the United Heavy.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, marled said:

The reason I didn't buy that is because I already own Abbey Road 60s Drums and Toontrack's similar offering for that dry drum sound -- which I rarely use anyhow. But I like AR 60s Drums the best and have contemplated picking up 70s drums and their modern drums (I think that's the name). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

And what a track to be inspired by! I was just playing that video on our television again earlier this week. I love Playing For Change, it's such a great idea and so beautifully executed. Everyone plays great on this track, but the drummer, Stephen Perkins, lays down the beat with a great feel. Bonham would be proud. The first rock album I ever bought was Zeppelin III (when I  was 5), so I've been a huge Zep fan all my life. Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi also gave amazing performances, although everyone did. 

On a related note, last week I picked up Majetone's Truck Drums 2 for under $15. I have a ton of drum sample libraries from NI, Toontrack, XLN, SSD, SR, Drum Drops... But no one has done a better job at getting that Zeppelin / Bonham feel the developer/drummer owner of Majetone. It's a KONTAKT library, but man, it is one of the most satisfying sampled drum kits I've ever played sound-wise (although that's only playing it on the keys, not my Roland V Drums; I actually don't like how the developer mapped the ride/crash cymbal on the same note or that it only has two ride Tom's, but the sound is so incredible,  I can overlook that)  and I felt like when I played it, I still sounded like me, not like a Bonham impersonator.  Otherwise,  the AD2 Mallets adpak is one of the few AdPaks that I don't own. I'd be interested in what you think of it. I didn't pick it up because I have a Superior Drummer mallet library I'm happy with. 

Have you checked out the "Classic Rock" EZX from Toontrack? https://www.toontrack.com/product/classic-rock-ezx/

"Heavily inspired by Eddie Kramer’s work with primarily Led Zeppelin, all aspects of this EZX were designed to provide the ultimate source for instant classic rock gold – the choice of drum kits, the presets and the MIDI. This EZX simply bursts loud, reverberant rock from the onset and out. ‘The Amber Kit,’ which represents a reproduction of the acrylic kit that John Bonham used during the now-historic “The Song Remains the Same” recordings in 1976, has a truly unique, open-sounding and blaring tone. To contrast, ‘The Sparkle Kit,’ also a homage to a setup frequently used by Bonham in several classic sessions, presents a more traditional tonal palette while still offering that mandatory, deafening rock sound."

• Includes extras such as two timpani, a gong and several kit pieces
  • Includes drums sampled with sticks, mallets and snare wires off

Edited by abacab

2 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

How do you guys like the Funk kit? I've chosen my 9 pack, and for the 10th one I felt Indy was kind of redundant after all the rest (for hard rock and various other styles), but the Funk sounds more versatile for things other than just Funk and I liked it's overall sound.

I like the funk kit. I mix and match kits and beats and use that funk kit quite a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Have you checked out the "Classic Rock" EZX from Toontrack? https://www.toontrack.com/product/classic-rock-ezx/

"Heavily inspired by Eddie Kramer’s work with primarily Led Zeppelin, all aspects of this EZX were designed to provide the ultimate source for instant classic rock gold – the choice of drum kits, the presets and the MIDI. This EZX simply bursts loud, reverberant rock from the onset and out. ‘The Amber Kit,’ which represents a reproduction of the acrylic kit that John Bonham used during the now-historic “The Song Remains the Same” recordings in 1976, has a truly unique, open-sounding and blaring tone. To contrast, ‘The Sparkle Kit,’ also a homage to a setup frequently used by Bonham in several classic sessions, presents a more traditional tonal palette while still offering that mandatory, deafening rock sound."

• Includes extras such as two timpani, a gong and several kit pieces
  • Includes drums sampled with sticks, mallets and snare wires off

Yeah, I forgot about that library . It does sound very good and of course, it was produced by a legend. It's definitely worthy of picking up in a future sale.  

• Great Idea 1

44 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yeah, I forgot about that library . It does sound very good and of course, it was produced by a legend. It's definitely worthy of picking up in a future sale.  

Yep! It's one of the few EZX that I added to EZdrummer (all at sale prices), Just had to have that Zep vibe! :)

Already had plenty of AD2 kits, and didn't care to duplicate a lot of what I already had. A kick is a kick, a snare is a snare, right? 😉

So I had not really planned to add any kits, with the intention of just using EZD as my AI drummer. But a few of them sounded really good, so I caved. Not a drummer here, so generally not too picky about drums, as long as they don't sound bad.

Edited by abacab

1 hour ago, abacab said:

A kick is a kick, a snare is a snare, right? 😉

Oh the horror!!!!!  

(Of course, if we could just look at your purchase history,  I'm confident we'd realize that you're kidding!) Back in the day, if I could switch kits for songs, I would use a brass deep snare on some, a standard 5 1/2" steel snare on others and a piccolo wood snare for effect. Nowadays,  I just make a couple of clicks to change a drum or cymbal,  but I still love physical gear and while a physical injury stopped me from playing, my basement is still filled with a lot of those drums. It's probably  more than time to sell, I have pain after playing for less than a minute of playing 8th note ride and hi hat patterns sometimes,  but it's really hard to part with that stuff. I digress -- but it seems the norm here anyhow!

Edited by PavlovsCat

3 hours ago, marled said:

Then you probably don't have the funk kit..? ;) 

Edited by chris.r
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Oh the horror!!!!!  

(Of course, if we could just look at your purchase history,  I'm confident we'd realize that you're kidding!)

That's what the winky emoji was supposed to communicate. It was intended to yank a drummer's chain, LOL! 🤣

But seriously, I'm not a drum geek, and have to go by my ears only. If it sounds good, it is good! I do remember when a few friends and I rented a band practice room back in the 90's, our drummer bonded on a smoke break with another local drummer, who showed him in detail how to tune his drum kit. I thought that was awesome, but had no idea what they were doing...

1 hour ago, abacab said:

That's what the winky emoji was supposed to communicate. It was intended to yank a drummer's chain, LOL! 🤣

But seriously, I'm not a drum geek, and have to go by my ears only. If it sounds good, it is good! I do remember when a few friends and I rented a band practice room back in the 90's, our drummer bonded on a smoke break with another local drummer, who showed him in detail how to tune his drum kit. I thought that was awesome, but had no idea what they were doing...

I think overall, I greatly prefer the tuning and tone of Toontrack drum libraries to AD2 (not SD's pricing or awful customer loyalty failings -- referencing their pulling their upgrade pricing for customers of their flagship product). One area where I really find a profound difference is the toms. Toontrack is meticulous about their toms and most of the AD2 AdPaks seem like toms were really unimportant to them. They really miss in that area, with some exceptions,  notably United Heavy, which sounds very 90s alternative rock. 

Edited by PavlovsCat