How do I use an iRig2 Audio Interface in Cakewalk for Guitar?

Lawson Currie

Question

15 answers to this question

Here's a video on setting the iRig 2 up on a PC:

As far as getting it to work in Cakewalk, in theory all you need to do is:

1. Ensure the iRig 2 ASIO drivers are installed
2. Make sure Cakewalk is set to ASIO mode in Preferences->Audio->Playback and Recording
3. Check the iRig 2 devices in Preferences->Audio->Devices
4. Make sure the iRig 2 is chosen for your Playback Timing Master / Recording Timing Master in Preferences->Audio->Device Settings

18 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Here's a video on setting the iRig 2 up on a PC:

This is for the iRig HD 2 interface which has an USB connection.

12 hours ago, Lawson Currie said:

I've been looking at several tutorials online, been to several websites, downloaded an ASIO software, but nothing works. 

If the interface is the iRig 2 (not HD) it does not have a usb connection and is not usable under Windows.

Edited by Jacques Boileau
  • Thanks 1

That's the iRig HD2 in the video (which I have, and it's pretty good actually, although I've only used it on an iOS device, as you can see in my ridiculously compact live rig) but the iRig2 only has a TRRS connection, not the USB/Lightning connector the HD2 has if I recall correctly.

ASIO4ALL is pretty disappointing though. Theoretically, that should be able to use WASAPI though, shouldn't it?

EDIT: Bam! Jacques beat me to it by 2 seconds! 😂

Edited by Lord Tim

Some PCs may have a combination input/output similar to iOS devices and some macOS computers, but you'd need something like ASIO4ALL as mentioned to get any reasonably useful semblance of proper latency etc.  Plus the sound quality will not be even close to something like iRig HD 2 (also mentioned above) since there's a digital connection there thus much better sound quality vs running both input and output through a headphone combo jack.

If you were even able to get it working... This is why we do not list Windows in the Specs/requirements for iRig 2.  Nor even Mac computers, even though you have a much better chance of strangling it into working there https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/index.php?p=specs

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

seems that their marketing people don't speak to their tech people

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/?id=1076

We do speak to each other regularly.  That FAQ says nothing about iRig 2.  It specifically states "Most iRig units with a USB port are Windows/PC compatible" and iRig 2 does not have a USB port it is an analog unit that connects via TRRS connection into a combo input/output headphone jack.  Hence the very low price...

• Like 1