Zoom R8 to Cakewalk - Unable to open audio record device

justinpbrown71

Question

I have connected the R8 to the pc to record guitar directly to Cakewalk. I have the R8 side sorted, with an input signal, after following the instructions in the R8 manual. I have installed the latest R8 driver. The R8 is recognised in the Cakewalk preferences, in all instances except for the Audio Playback and Recording Driver Mode, and under the MIDI options for Controller/Surface, where there is nothing listed.

I have tried the Asio and Wasapi Shared options so far. I had ASIO4ALL installed, but when I selected ASIO option CW popped up a window stating that this driver is not compatible. I read elsewhere that the ASIO4ALL 'wrapper' can 'hijack' other ASIO drivers (I'm not 100% sure what this alludes to). So, I uninstalled ASIO4ALL and rebooted. Now in the Audio Playback and Recording Driver Mode, when I select ASIO I do not see an error window. I assume then that now the R8 driver is recognised and accepted.

Still there is no audio signal registering in Cakewalk.

When I arm an audio track and then select the record button to begin recording, I get this message:

'Unable to open audio record device. Device may not support the current project's audio format or may be in use.'

After creating a new MIDI track, manipulation of the R8 controls, triggers a flash of green at the top of both the track and buss level meters, but I get no signal from my guitar.

I can hear all the project tracks playing within CW through the headphones plugged into the R8.

Anyone can help? Many thanks.

Edited by justinpbrown71
Update about positive headphone routing through R8.

7 answers to this question

Ah, three weeks later I discovered the issue. Very simple...

Windows recognises the Zoom R8 interface as a microphone.

In Windows privacy settings I had access to the microphone disallowed, as well as access to it by desktop apps.

I also discovered that Windows was automatically replacing the native Zoom R8 drivers with Microsoft generic audio drivers, but was able to fix this issue by unhiding the list of (what Windows considers) non-compatible devices during the manual driver installation process, and select the Zoom R8 device.

Edited by justinpbrown71

2 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

Follow the instructions in this video and you will have sound. I guarantee it. 

Hi John,

Thanks for video tutorial.

I have followed the instructions, step by step. I had a positive sound test with the Windows test, but:

1. The Zoom R8 audio interface is not showing in the Audi Devices, nor Driver Settings lists in CW when I select ASIO, but is when I select WASAPI SHARED.

2. When ASIO is set, the Audio Driver Bit Depth is greyed out at 16, not 24, as is set in Windows.

3. The 64-bit Double Precision Engine box is pre checked, unlike in your video.

4. The buffer size slider is set to FAST and greyed out. The ASIO reported latencies are all set at zero.

5. Sync and Caching: there is no device showing; the dropdown menu is empty, and the Use ASIO Reported Latency checkbox is unchecked. It's value is set to 1234.

If I set Playback and Recording to WASAPI Shared I can see the Zoom R8 in all the places it seems it should be when this setting is set to ASIO in your video. Set to WASAPI Shared I get playback sound, but no audio input from the guitar or built-in mics from the Zoom R8 is registering in CW.

Finally, I have to disable the NVIDIA sound device in Windows to have the Zoom R8 'stick' as an option in the Sync and Caching device dropdown (when set to WASAPI Shared).

Last year when I used the Zoom R8 as an interface to record in this manner I didn't have to keep entering into the Windows settings and changing them every time I wanted to use the R8, and when I had finished using it, to turn on my monitor speakers. Is there no other way than having to enter the Sound Settings in Windows and having to change them every time I want to record?

Am I missing something, or have I misinterpreted your instructions?

Edited by justinpbrown71

18 minutes ago, scook said:

install the driver and update the firmware (if necessary) https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/digital-mixer-multi-track-recorders/multi-track-recorders/r8/r8-support/

It is very common for ASIO drivers to work at a single bit-depth, usually 24 bit.

I installed the latest R8 driver yesterday. I'll check the firmware...

UPDATE: The firmware needs updating. Currently I have the previous version. The R8 doesn't detect the firmware file on the SD card though. I've followed the instructions correctly 3 times. I'll have to get in touch with Zoom about this.

Edited by justinpbrown71
Firmware issue update.
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I’ll only add this observation about Zoom and the ASIO ??  driver they supply. I own a Zoom G1 stomp box that has USB connection to PC. I’ll put it in the same category as my Blackstar amp and USB drivers.  
It sucks.  
They both are just what seems to be a modified generic driver. Cakewalk doesn’t like that. 

If you would rather be making music that fighting a loosing battle with badly written drivers then do your self a big favor and buy a proper audio interface like a Focusrite. 
Maybe your Zoom R8 driver is different  than other Zooms drivers from the past, that would be great.   

All I can say is you hook up a Focusrite or any name brand  audio interface and install the driver and everything works. Every time.  

Edited by Cactus Music

@Cactus Music, John, I was a little surprised and disappointed in your post as I've had good luck with the Zoom digital recorder I use. 

However my MRS-8, which precedes the R8, does not communicate with the computer like the R8 does.  My MRS-8 also does not attempt to be everything to everyone like the R8.  The R8 can be used as a digital recorder, audio interface or surface controller.

It seems the R8 has had difficulty communicating with Cakewalk since it was introduced.  This 2012 Sound-On-Sound product review notes:

In the past, I have had problems getting Zoom's products to interface with and control my Cakewalk Sonar DAW. When reviewing the R24, I eventually gave up trying — even though there is a Sonar-specific plug-in option in the Driver Installation. Hoping for better luck with the R8, I was disappointed when I experienced the same problems.

So, once again, John got it right!