automated bus mute?

DSL

Question

Hi Friends,

I've hit a little snag in my current project. I have some lead vocal layer tracks routed to a bus, which I want to bring in and out as required. I wanted to automate this, so went to the bus automation options and...no automated mute. Oh! I can automate each track of course, but that's a lot of work. Am I missing something -  surely muting buses within a mix is a common requirement? Please help if you know what I'm doing wrong,  or can suggest a suitable alternative.

Thanks,

Dave

2 answers to this question

I can think of two alternatives:

1.  Automate the bus input gain - setting this to zero will effectively mute it. Also input gain isn't changed very often ( unlike output volume ), so you should be able to just  switch between zero and whatever your normal input gain is using jump shapes.

2.  Use an aux track  (either instead of the bus, or in between your tracks and your bus), and use automated mute on the aux track.

8 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I can think of two alternatives:

1.  Automate the bus input gain - setting this to zero will effectively mute it. Also input gain isn't changed very often ( unlike output volume ), so you should be able to just  switch between zero and whatever your normal input gain is using jump shapes.

2.  Use an aux track  (either instead of the bus, or in between your tracks and your bus), and use automated mute on the aux track.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Yes, don't know why I didn't think of using an Aux track! Problem solved, many thanks...

Edited by DSL