Roland Guitar synth

Louis

I have a Roland guitar synth connected to my Korg x50.  The sounds play out of my mixer fine.  The sounds from my Korg x50 play and record fine, but when I try to record from my Guitar synth I get nothing.  Remember I going from my Roland guitar syth  MIDI out into my Korg  x50 MIDI in.  I'm connecting to my PC via USB from my X50.  Its as if the X50 isn't sending the MIDI signal to the usb.  If I have an arpeggiator it picks up some of the notes.

Edited by Louis

Generally with daisy chaining Midi we go from Device 1 Midi OUT to Device 2 Midi IN and then Device 1 will be sent to the Midi Thru port of Device 2.   To have the signal from Device 1 show in the Midi OUT of Device 2 you would need to set that up from within device 2 settings.  

Which model of Roland Guitar Synth is this? Does it have USB or just the 5 pin Din.?

Also make sure you download and install any Roland Drivers if available. Even if it seems to work as plug and play,  I find it best to use the drivers from the Support page. 

Edited by Cactus Music

1 hour ago, Cactus Music said:

Generally with daisy chaining Midi we go from Device 1 Midi OUT to Device 2 Midi IN and then Device 1 will be sent to the Midi Thru port of Device 2.   To have the signal from Device 1 show in the Midi OUT of Device 2 you would need to set that up from within device 2 settings.  

Which model of Roland Guitar Synth is this? Does it have USB or just the 5 pin Din.?

Also make sure you download and install any Roland Drivers if available. Even if it seems to work as plug and play,  I find it best to use the drivers from the Support page. 

Yes i have the drivers.  This is Roland Gi-10.  I'm going from Gi-10 MIDI out to Korg X10 MIDI in.  I'm getting output from my X50 audio output with the G-10, but no MIDI coming through USB.  I've tried using the MIDI to USB cables but that didn't work either.  I have this same post on Korg forums.

It seems line external MIDI into X50 doesn't push to USB.

12 hours ago, Louis said:

Its as if the X50 isn't sending the MIDI signal to the usb. 

When you say,  "Its as if . . . ." I have to ask: Have you tested the midi data with a tool like midi-ox? 

15 minutes ago, Louis said:

I'm going from Gi-10 MIDI out to Korg X10 MIDI in.  I'm getting output from my X50 audio output with the G-10, but no MIDI coming through USB.  I've tried using the MIDI to USB cables but that didn't work either.  I have this same post on Korg forums.

It seems line external MIDI into X50 doesn't push to USB.

Do you have a link to the Roland x50 manual?

Little confused as first you mentioned a Roland x50 which I see is a Keyboard workstation but then you are also mentioning a Korg X10 which I don’t see as existing?  Where does that fit in. 
The Roland Gi10 I see only generates Midi data via standard Din connection.  
The only image I could find of a Roland X50 back panel doesn’t seem to have midi jack’s?  

So is it a Korg or a Roland used To connect the Gi10 to? 

It seems is what you need is an Audio interface with Midi jacks. 

Otherwise the Keyboard Workstation needs to be Midi Thru capable.  

Edited by Cactus Music

36 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

Little confused as first you mentioned a Roland x50 . . . .

Do you have a link for the manual?  All I could find was an e-x50 manual.  On the other hand I did find a Korg X-50 Manual.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo

15 hours ago, Louis said:

. . . I going from my Roland guitar syth  MIDI out into my Roland  x50 MIDI in.  I'm connecting to my PC via USB from my X50.

3 hours ago, Louis said:

. . . I'm going from Gi-10 MIDI out to Korg X10 MIDI in.  I'm getting output from my X50 audio output with the G-10. . . .

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

37 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

Little confused as first you mentioned a Roland x50 which I see is a Keyboard workstation but then you are also mentioning a Korg X10 which I don’t see as existing?  

11 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Do you have a link for the manual?  All I could find was an e-x50 manual.  On the other hand I did find a Korg X-50 Manual.

Just to clarify, the reason I asked "Do you have a link to the Roland x50 manual?" was because "All I could find was an e-x50 manual." 

EDIT: I am going to go out on a limb on this, but here goes: Either (1) Louis is confused or (2) Louis is trying to confuse us. (I might be wrong, though.)

Edited by User 905133
to add an EDIT section
  • Like 1

Possibilities: Roland Gi-10 - This is for sure part of the aforementioned devices in use. It is a pitch to midi device that doesn’t generate audio Only Midi. There’s only Midi jacks and no USB.  

Korg X50. It has a USB midi port as well as a Midi in and out ports. In the manual page 39 it explains how to pass Midi in to Midi out.  
Roland X50 ?  Possibly meant  the Korg. The Roland E X 50 doesn’t have Midi ports. Only USB. 

Korg X10?  Possibly meant the X50 but got mixed up with Gi10. 

4 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

Little confused as first you mentioned a Roland x50 which I see is a Keyboard workstation but then you are also mentioning a Korg X10 which I don’t see as existing?  Where does that fit in. 
The Roland Gi10 I see only generates Midi data via standard Din connection.  
The only image I could find of a Roland X50 back panel doesn’t seem to have midi jack’s?  

So is it a Korg or a Roland used To connect the Gi10 to? 

It seems is what you need is an Audio interface with Midi jacks. 

Otherwise the Keyboard Workstation needs to be Midi Thru capable.  

I ment Korg X50.

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

When you say,  "Its as if . . . ." I have to ask: Have you tested the midi data with a tool like midi-ox? 

Yes I have MIDI-ox, that is what I'm using to solve this problem.  I have the manual.  When I change programs with the MIDI guirar I get input ont output on the MIDI-ox.  Still no sound.

30 minutes ago, Louis said:

Yes I have MIDI-ox, that is what I'm using to solve this problem.  I have the manual.  When I change programs with the MIDI guirar I get input ont output on the MIDI-ox.  Still no sound.

I was going to see if the x50 passes midi through, but since you have the manual and midi-ox, I don't think I would see anything that you haven't already tried. Maybe someone else has some ideas to help.  Good luck with that. 

Edited by User 905133
revised wording

Possibilities: Roland Gi-10 - This is for sure part of the aforementioned devices in use. It is a pitch to midi device that doesn’t generate audio Only Midi. There’s only Midi jacks and no USB.  

Korg X50. It has a USB midi port as well as a Midi in and out ports. In the manual page 39 it explains how to pass Midi in to Midi out.  
Roland X50 ?  Possibly meant  the Korg. The Roland E X 50 doesn’t have Midi ports. Only USB. 

Korg X10?  Possibly meant the X50 but got mixed up with Gi10. 

The X50 and Gi10 only have MIDI in & out.

You may be able to change the X50's Global settings to pass data thru USB (manual pg 33-35*). If not, the only way it can send MIDI thru USB is to play notes with it.

(*2006 manual)

Since you're using the Gi10 as the MIDI controller to play notes, it should output to the PC as well as to the X50. You can do this with a USB MIDI router or interface (manual pg 12**).

(**1995 manual)

1. Gi10 output -> MIDI Interface input 1

2. X50 input -> MIDI Interface output 2

3. X50 output -> MIDI Interface input 2 (to use as a controller-option 1)

4. X50 USB -> PC  (to use as a controller-option 2)

4. MIDI Interface USB -> PC

5. MIDI track Input set to Gi10

6. MIDI track Output set to X50/Bank/Patch  (An Instrument Definition file [.ins] is handy for selecting sounds)

When using a USB Interface the X50's USB isn't necessarily needed.

Edited by sjoens