Effects sends positioning flow

Max Arwood

I have a track with a B3 synth on it. A have a ton of reverb on this track post fader. I am fading the track out with clip fade, but is seems the reverb is still going long after the track has been faded to 0. What's up with this?  This can't be a normal way this should work. I have noticed this with vocal tracks that have heavy reverb. As I lower the volume envelope of the vocals the reverb stays the same. What do I need to do? I might have 5 effects sends - I hope you are not going to tell me I must fade all of these on at a time??? I thought the sends should be proportional to the clip volume.

Edited by Max Arwood
error

Make sure the send is set to post fader, not pre fader.  Of course, with a long reverb/delay (long compared to the length of the track fade),  the reverb will still be processing the signal from way before the track volume got to zero, so you'd likely expect to hear some reverb even after the track is silent.

Edited by Kevin Perry

Set tempo of a song to 120.  That equals 2 seconds per measure. Please take a track and add a long reverb on a send 2.3 sec. Set the track send to post and send level to 0db.  Add something to the track. Vocals would work.  Add a volume envelope on the vocals.  Ramp the volume up and down with the envelope. Does the reverb go up and down to match the track volume after the 2.3 sec?  Or does it kinda stay the same and only the track volume changes? Take the same clip. At the end, roll back 6 measures of that clip. Then do 4 measures of clip fade.  6 measures is 12 seconds - plenty of time for the reverb to stop right? When does your reverb stop?

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

Set tempo of a song to 120.  That equals 2 seconds per measure. Please take a track and add a long reverb on a send 2.3 sec. Set the track send to post and send level to 0db.  Add something to the track. Vocals would work.  Add a volume envelope on the vocals.  Ramp the volume up and down with the envelope. Does the reverb go up and down to match the track volume after the 2.3 sec?

Reverb level goes up and down:

image.png.eae3f537c615e7550af51b1572342ad4.png

Send set to Pre for comparison:

image.png.4d844bfccfce1be98ba21a066b015be4.png

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

Take the same clip. At the end, roll back 6 measures of that clip. Then do 4 measures of clip fade.  6 measures is 12 seconds - plenty of time for the reverb to stop right? When does your reverb stop?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, so I've done it two different ways, but in both cases, the reverb dies within 2.3 seconds:

image.png.36f6c82d49961109fc0bbbf0153baee6.png

image.png.c080b56e509bed00f7018d2c6120e6e1.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

sends to a dedicated reverb bus are always before the track fader.

Actually sends are post-fader by default; you have to go out of your way to make them pre-fader. But, the OP was talking about fading the clip which is pre-everything; when the clip fade hits -Inf, nothing will be sent/output anywhere.

But a long enough reverb tail would still be audible.  I'm not sure why Kevin's screenshots aren't showing that. A reverb with a 20-sec decay time should definitely be audible as well as visible in the preview waveform at the high vertical zoom level in the screenshot. Here's Sonitus with a 20-second decay after a single metronome click with no zooming:

320568662_ReverbDecayBeyondClip.thumb.png.e1bac01d1095f49114ab560269739a4c.png

• Like 1

Dang I can’t believe I had that so wrong. Of course it works just like every mixing board I’ve ever owned. The effects send is post and the auxiliaries are pre.
Sorry about that I guess I better delete that so as not to contaminate the internet any more than it already is with bad info. 

Edited by Cactus Music