Windows 11 and plugins

LittleStudios

I'm on Windows 10 and was thinking about updating to Windows 11.  Anyone have any good or bad experiences dealing with plugin licenses?  I'm sure if your doing a clean install you'll have to go through the painful act of reinstalling everything.  I was thinking of maybe just doing an update and not a clean install.  I didn't know if that would cause any issues with licenses.  A while back I swapped out my motherboard and CPU and some of the plugins were like, "Oh no you don't, this is a different machine..."

**UPDATE**

I was able to update without any issues.  Out of precaution I deactivated any iLock lisences and any other plugins that were linked to my machine ID.  It wasn't that big of a deal.

Edited by LittleStudios
UPDATE

I just moved to 10 some months back. Personally, I would let other people work out the bugs and jump in later. I barely have time for the music I want to do, much less time to get things working after a big upgrade. What advantage would 11 bring? Do you have better audio drivers or something in 11?

• Like 1

You’ll need to check that your PC meets the W11 requirements. MS have a tool for this.

Its a piece of Cake to re-authorise vst’s nowadays. And just a couple of clicks using proprietary product portals.

Those vst’s that depend on a pc id (Toontrack, XLN …….) just fire up the product portal it really is easy.

W10 audio drivers will work in W11 (Soundcraft for example),  however most manufacturers release W11 compatible drivers (Focusrite for example).

That being said, before any upgrade you need to do a little bit of homework……

J

My apprehension isn't about compatibility with Windows 11, it was primarily with dealing with plugin licenses.  Swapping out computer parts in the pasts has caused plugins to have to be re-registered.  It's not a big deal, just an annoyance.  I should have put in the first sentence, "This is not a big deal, or deal breaker."  Just wanted to know if anyone experienced if their licenses had issues if they updated to Windows 11, not a clean install of Windows 11.

8 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

My apprehension isn't about compatibility with Windows 11, it was primarily with dealing with plugin licenses.  Swapping out computer parts in the pasts has caused plugins to have to be re-registered.  It's not a big deal, just an annoyance.  I should have put in the first sentence, "This is not a big deal, or deal breaker."  Just wanted to know if anyone experienced if their licenses had issues if they updated to Windows 11, not a clean install of Windows 11.

I updated.  And, as i said above, had to re-authorise certain plugs.

Personally i would be more worried about whether my PC could pass the MS test. Mine did, many do not.

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes

• 3 weeks later...

Updated to Win 11 several months ago on both desktop and laptop - all has been very smooth. No Cakewalk,  audio or plug-in issues at all. Just one problem with an old webcam driver, which prevented the enabling of Memory integrity within the Core Isolation security set.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
Windows 11 Home Version 21H2

As an IT guy, I HATE/DESPISE upgrades. But I wouldn't mind starting a new box with an OS ...just that 11 does not do a thing for me operationally. The look of it reminds me of a bad Mac OS. But 2024 sounds like the year!

Shoot, we still see threads on this forum for Sonar 8.5 on Windows 7 because it still works for them. Amazing really.

• Like 1