basic questions

Lee Rouse

I'm new to Cakewalk. I think it holds great potential for me but I'm at the beginning stage and it will be a good while before I'm comfortable using it. At this point, it can be frustrating because there are things I know I want  to do but each step requires a forum post, a google search and/or reviewing  the manual  (and sometimes just walking away for a while). Anyway, I just finished a project and have a very basic question. How do I set my project length? My tracks end at about 3:15 but when I render the project, the mp3 is about 5 minutes long.

Thanks!

Projects automatically stop at the last event on the timeline when you render them, so if it's stretching out past that, there's likely some automation node or something like that somewhere past the end.

There's no project length as such, but if you drag your mouse over the time ruler at the top and select the portion you want to export, that's all that will be mixed down. Alternatively, you could look for and delete those rogue events that's causing the project to stretch past the end.

I'd also recommend having a look at the fantastic tutorials in the Tutorials sub-forum if you're finding it a slog to go through the manual:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/35-tutorials/

• Like 1

Bonus tip:

If you want to just delete everything from the end of your project, including any left over bits that are making your project to continue to play past the end, do this:

1. Put your cursor at the place where you want your project to end

2. Do CTRL+A to select everything

3. Enable Ripple All (just above the ruler):

2079352360_Screenshot2022-08-15025155.jpg.3297ead5bd01530c21548b6246e6744a.jpg:

4. Click the Set From = Now button in the Select Module on the Control Bar:

1008862097_Screenshot2022-08-15025223.jpg.ab0649a964bf13906704db7e1f95c006.jpg

5. Press Delete. Everything from where your cursor is to the last event on your timeline will be deleted, making this now the new end.

6. DISABLE RIPPLE ALL! Seriously, double check you did this before you tangle yourself up in a big mess. I've done this. It sucks. :/ 

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1