Hi guys,

My eclectic musical ensemble Disconnected Souls has recently released a new track called Kintsukuroi.
I'd describe this one as being a ballad fused with some heavy djenty guitar, electronics, orchestral and world influences.

There are some interesting concepts and instrumentation that we explore :)

If you get chance to listen I hope you enjoy!

Comments/feedback/criticism always welcomed.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher

1 minute ago, evadianepug said:

Well, hmmmmm.  Very interesting tune.  A bit long for my taste but I understand it.  I like the way the video works.  The scream metal (is that what he is?) guy adds color.  Not my cup of tea but worth listening to and watching.  I liked it.

Thank you kindly! Would love to hear some of your music if you make it and have any available :)

We're always really keen to do something a bit different - the balance can be difficult to find between going too out there conceptually/instrumentally and not far enough and creating something that feels like it's been done before.

The length is an interesting point - I think sometimes we want to try and cram too many ideas into a song and that can lead to them going on beyond the usual radio length - in fact this track is probably one of the shorter ones. It is one of the things we're really trying to practice improving with newer material.

I was really impressed with the video - I put out a call on FB for videographers and had several recommendations for the guy who did it. Affordable, prompt and good quality - so he's definitely being used again!

I'm a big metal fan so I love the harsher vocals but we do try and strike a balance - they can be good for conveying specific moods, but wouldn't want to use them all the time.

I think one of the big challenges we often have with this musical project is with marketing/promotion - metal is probably the closest but can throw people off due to perceptions of that genre, so it's trying to find open minded people/communities to share it with!

Thank you one again :)

Matthew

Interesting track and enjoyed all the changes - mix sounds good as well - only comment really is about the cymbals from 1.20 - 1.60  - sounded a bit splashy to me, but in mitigation I've been tracking all day so ears a bit blown!!

Liked the video - these days we all have to be videographers as well as musicians - I know we spend a great deal of time and effort on our videos, as we promote mainly through that medium these days.

Cool

Nigel

6 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

Matthew

Interesting track and enjoyed all the changes - mix sounds good as well - only comment really is about the cymbals from 1.20 - 1.60  - sounded a bit splashy to me, but in mitigation I've been tracking all day so ears a bit blown!!

Liked the video - these days we all have to be videographers as well as musicians - I know we spend a great deal of time and effort on our videos, as we promote mainly through that medium these days.

Cool

Nigel

Thank you kindly for your feedback Nigel!

Have you got anything to share that I can check out and enjoy? :)

I hear what you mean about the cymbals - we ended up having a fair few mixes on this track as it was very difficult getting all the elements balanced; if we were doing another one I'd probably agree on polishing those a little more!

We've been experimenting with a few different engineers, although are trying to do as much basic mixing as possible to really let them focus on the polishing/production to really take it to the next level.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Hi Matthew

You can check our stuff at:-

Check out our  videos on    https://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website    https://www.devinelie.com

I see you're in Chester - I'll be up that way in November when I come to the UK as my brother lives in a little village just outside Chester! Just a quick flying visit, unfortunately this time.

Nigel

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Hi Matthew, thought the track had a cool vibe. I'm listening on cheap cans but the mix sounded good here. I liked that transition at 4:43, wrapped up the tune nicely.  -c

Thank you my friend!
Appreciate the mix feedback - will pass that back to the engineer as he's fairly new to the game, so will value that!

I must admit i'm a big sucker for key changes and so the combination of that and moving to a heavier guitar pattern was something that made me super happy to implement :) I'm glad you feel it works.

Not really my style of music but I certainly can appreciate the talent involved in the creation in such a piece.  It certainly emotes considerable drama and emotion.  BTW, being one who is exploring the South American AfroBeat style  -- song length is certainly not a problem with me.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, freddy j said:

Not really my style of music but I certainly can appreciate the talent involved in the creation in such a piece.  It certainly emotes considerable drama and emotion.  BTW, being one who is exploring the South American AfroBeat style  -- song length is certainly not a problem with me.

Thank you kindly my friend - I really appreciate your feedback :)