Few years away - Q2 - MIDI input

Awes

Hi all

Been a few years since I've recorded anything - about 6 to be precise! Although I've always updated the software with the intention of recording, but just never get round to it. Anyway, got some time today to have a play and hit 2 walls already (will create 2 threads to not confuse things), likely to be related to my interface, but hoping you guys can help here  So my setup is Cakewalk Bandlab (original bought X1 I think, and upgraded right through to latest version, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interfacen and Adam A3X monitors.

Previously I used an M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI keyboard to record any MIDI parts with. Nice and simple, plugged directly into my PC via USB, selected an input on a MIDI track, loaded in an instrument and voila, I had sound.

I've since moved to a Yamaha Portable Grand NP30, which doesn't have a USB connection, but instead a MIDI port. I've then connected my Yahama MIDI to my Focusrite via a MIDI cable, in settings of Cakewalk, set MIDI input as the Focusrite and within a MIDI track, selected the input as MIDI Omni from the Focusrite (and loaded up various instruments to test).

When I hit a key, I can see on the dB meter, it's registering, but I'm getting no sound come through. I've changed the 'Input Echo' on both 'On' and 'Auto Thru' (the only 2 options) but still nothing. Tried loading up other programs (Rapture, Play etc.), but all the same result of silence.

Probably an really easy solution that's staring me in the face, but 6 years away, and I'm a little rusty. Any ideas?

Edited by Awes

Ah, think I may have just solved this one. 

Do I need to create an Audio track, then have the input of the audio track as the MIDI track? I'm sure I used to just have a MIDI track before, but my memory isn't great!

5 minutes ago, Awes said:

Do I need to create an Audio track, then have the input of the audio track as the MIDI track?

When using MIDI tracks for a soft synth there needs to be at least one audio with its input set to the synth or instrument track defined for the synth.

7 minutes ago, Awes said:

I'm sure I used to just have a MIDI track before, but my memory isn't great!

Maybe you are recalling instrument tracks. An instrument track is an audio+MIDI track pair associated with a soft synth plug-in presented as a single track in the DAW.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scook said:

When using MIDI tracks for a soft synth there needs to be at least one audio with its input set to the synth or instrument track defined for the synth.

Maybe you are recalling instrument tracks. An instrument track is an audio+MIDI track pair associated with a soft synth plug-in presented as a single track in the DAW.

Ah, yes, now you mention it, it was instrument tracks that I used to use as they combined the two! all coming flooding back now!

Thanks for the help, appreciated! 

On 8/13/2022 at 10:30 AM, Cactus Music said:

Try my tutorials on setting up midi that will get you there a lot faster than guessing 😬

For some of us 15-30 minutes of exploration and self-discovery yields longer lasting deep knowledge and more thorough understanding than watching a 15-30  minute video.  There's much to be said for hands on learning.

On 8/13/2022 at 11:36 AM, InstrEd said:

I think the starter screen in CbB should have some of Cactus Music aka John's tutorial videos :D

For some of us, bringing back and updating the old "Did you know . . .  ." series but with (1) show again in rotation and don't show again checkbox flags for each tip or trick and (2) links to concise guides and mini tutorials would be far more effective and efficient.  

Edited by User 905133
fixed a couple of typos. fixed typo (mini, not min)

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

For some of us, bringing back and updating the old "Did you know . . .  ." series but with (1) show again in rotation and don't show again checkbox flags for each tip or trick and (2) links to concise guides and min tutorials would be far more effective and efficient.  

Okay you have a very valid point.  It is just other DAW 's like Mixcraft Pro 9 have a nice tutorial section as does Presonus for Studio One.  I do like choice though :)

I learned more about Cakewalk than I had over the last 2 decades when I started making the tutorials.

I needed to explore all the options and make sure I wasn’t missing anything obvious. Then as I picked topics I dug in to ( that’s right) the documentation as well as exploring every little button and menu item. Things I never would have touched I tried just to see what happens. 

Boy did I quickly make a quantum leap in understanding exactly how Cakewalk is glued together. Things I thought were useless features I now include in my daily workflow. 

So in some ways I really don’t care if anyone ever watches them, makes no difference to me, because if anything was worth while it was making the videos was a very good learning experience just for me. 

I do hope I’ve helped a few others along the way. I certainly get thankful comments daily  from Google. And it does mean a lot to me even the small bit of support I get from the forum. Big thanks to those of you who take the time to post the links etc. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 3:43 PM, Cactus Music said:

I learned more about Cakewalk than I had over the last 2 decades when I started making the tutorials . . . . 

Absolutely!  Intentionally stepping through any process can provide a valuable hands-on learning experience whether one records the steps in a video, writes the steps down on paper or in a simple text document, makes mental notes during the process, or even just checks off the steps on a list.  

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo (or -> on)
  • Like 1