Ronan Fed Releases FREE RF-DSP Multi-Effect Processor

Sunraw

VirusTotal reports their plugins as malware. They do state on their website (or at least did!) that it's due to the application they use to package their installer.

That's quite possibly true and nothing to worry about, but I'd rather them just make the actual .VST3 files etc available as an option too.

The suspended website doesn't add to the confidence levels either..

It is a shame as I'd like to try a couple of their things.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MusicMan said:

VirusTotal reports their plugins as malware. They do state on their website (or at least did!) that it's due to the application they use to package their installer.

That's quite possibly true and nothing to worry about, but I'd rather them just make the actual .VST3 files etc available as an option too.

It is weird. The link I posted  and the plugin page still work but the rest of the site which was working when I posted is down.

They posted a link to WordPress at BP with no explanation. They seems OK to me. No complaints and over 1M views on YouTube and they are still posting new plugs.

I'm guessing they code in C++ so they need to use an installer to check for the required redistribable package.

I sent them an Email asking for a response.

Edited by Sunraw
  • Great Idea 1

15 minutes ago, Sunraw said:

It is weird. The link I posted  and the plugin page still work but the rest of the site which was working when I posted is down.

They posted a link to WordPress at BP with no explanation. They seems OK to me. No complaints and over 1M views on YouTube and they are still posting new plugs.

I'm guessing they code in C++ so they need to use an installer to check for the required redistribable package.

I sent them an Email asking for a response.

That's entirely possible about the dependency check. Great idea emailing and it will be good to hear back 🙂 Maybe they could look at other packaging applications too, given they know their products are getting flagged as malicious.

It's one of those cases where I'm sure it's probably completely fine, but given the amount of plugins most of us have, is it worth taking any risks on something that does have warnings.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Niky Serrano said:

Suspended website

20 hours ago, MusicMan said:

I got a reply from Ronan. The site is back up.

Quote:

Hi

I use a free host and domain from InfinityFree, and they suspended it for 24 hours because yesterday the number of hits per day was exceeded.

This is their email:

"Hi,

Your InfinityFree account (Website for ronanfed.rf.gd) has been temporarily suspended.

Your account exceeded the daily limits of your service. InfinityFree monitors the CPU, memory and hits usage (among others) of your account and temporarily deactivates your website if the limit is hit.

Your account will be reactivated automatically after 24 hours. For more information, please check the client area"

Now says this: 

"Your account is Temporarily Suspended

Your account was suspended because you hit the Hits Limits. Learn more about this limit.

Your account will be reactivated automatically in less than an hour from now.

Don't want to wait any longer? iFastNet can migrate your website quickly and for free, even if your account is suspended!"

About the installers:

I use a free software called InstallForge and sometimes VirusTotal detects the exe files as malware.

I tried InnoSetup with the same results.

My plugins are made with SynthEdit and contain several files in the same folder in addition to the dll or vst3 so I use a setup to make the installation process easier.

Regards, 

Ronan

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sunraw said:

I use a free software called InstallForge and sometimes VirusTotal detects the exe files as malware.

I tried InnoSetup with the same results.

My plugins are made with SynthEdit and contain several files in the same folder in addition to the dll or vst3 so I use a setup to make the installation process easier.

The site being down all makes sense and these plugins are free so him using free hosting is understandable too.

The installers one is a little unusual, as it's not so common to see the detections. I'd provide both if I was him. I never mind and often prefer to just copy/paste the VST3 directly onto the VST3 folder as I know exactly what I'm adding to my system. It really doesn't need to be much easier as it's often only a few seconds to do it unless there's a lot of changes the installer makes, like registry keys, or .in files, or unusual things.

Thanks for sharing his reply 🙂

• Like 2