My Attempt at the Blues - updated

Keith Wilby

It needs a proper lead guitarist on it, which rules me out.

https://www.bandlab.com/post/fbc588f7-7e1c-ed11-9441-000d3a3f83b4

EDIT 1: Drums now hopefully behaving themselves, plus a few tweaks to the lead guitar and the organ solo. I decided to leave the brass/horn swell over the vocal as-is, I think it builds the moment nicely.

EDIT 2: Drums backed off a tad and lead guitar improved.

Edited by Keith Wilby
Final mix.
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, evadianepug said:

wonder if there isn't a bit too much reverb

I don't find it distracting.

6 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

needs a proper lead guitarist

I think the guitar is working just fine. If you're playing for/to other guitarists; you're wasting your time.

My only crit/suggestion, side chain the vocal to the brass. When you go to the V, the horns are walking on the vocal.

👍's

t

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I think the guitar is working just fine. If you're playing for/to other guitarists; you're wasting your time.

My only crit/suggestion, side chain the vocal to the brass. When you go to the V, the horns are walking on the vocal.

Thank Tom. I imagined a solo similar to Paul Kossoff's on Free's "Goin' Down Slow" - friend of mine is more than capable of doing that, it's just a question of getting him here and recording him, which might not be quite so easy.

I'll revisit the horns/brass now 🙂

• Like 1

Keith , I Really liked the vocals and the Great guitar tone. You've been hitting a lot of different styles of music lately , and doing Very well with all of them. I believe it was after your "waltz' song I replied you should really try some blues , and  I think you did a Fantastic job on this one. I do agree with Bajan Blue about a drum issue but , for me it was the "cymbals" that I thought were lacking. I really think that the crash would sound better on the right side of the mix (if you have control of it) and there were several spots that could sure use a "ride" cymbal.  Anyway ..  I Really enjoyed it and for sure  the guitar work.           mark

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

the drums don't feel / sound quite right to me - perhaps just a bit too forward in the mix? What drums are they?

Hi Nigel, I use Addictive Drums 2. I've already corrected the rhythm, which I thought was near but not quite right, but I'll certainly have another listen to where they are in the mix 👍

12 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Keith , I Really liked the vocals and the Great guitar tone. You've been hitting a lot of different styles of music lately , and doing Very well with all of them. I believe it was after your "waltz' song I replied you should really try some blues , and  I think you did a Fantastic job on this one. I do agree with Bajan Blue about a drum issue but , for me it was the "cymbals" that I thought were lacking. I really think that the crash would sound better on the right side of the mix (if you have control of it) and there were several spots that could sure use a "ride" cymbal.  Anyway ..  I Really enjoyed it and for sure  the guitar work.           mark

Many thank Mark, I'm a jack of many trades and master of none 🤭

I'm on with the drums now 👍

As a Blues loving guy, I can really appreciate this song.  Reverb, what reverb  --- nah.  Remember this is coming from a guy that abuses the stuff.  Great guitar and horns, and you captured the important part of the blues -- the rhythm!  Very nice

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...