Softube TAPE ECHOES : $15 for owners of Dirty Tape

stony

On 8/12/2022 at 7:08 PM, ALC said:

Didn't realize I had Dirty Tape until I checked.  Purchased.  Thanks.

Same haha.  However I’m having a darn time purchasing this.  Never completes the sale.  Spins and spins and never completes transaction.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I took advantage of the discount previously and like the sound and mechanics of Softube's Echoes.  I wish there were a way to turn off the tape-through-the-record/play-heads animated graphic.  The plug-in uses more CPU that other tape/echo/echo plug-ins I have** and I have wondered if that's due to the animation or the DSP.  I suspect it might be due to the animation because minimizing the UI or switching to another window drops my CPU usage by 8-10% [Task Manager: Cakewalk Application].

**Disclosure: The quickie test included plug-ins from Cherry Audio, IK Multimedia (TR5 instance and inside MixBox), MeldaProduction (including MB versions),  and PSP Audio.  A single live layer was performed on top of a MIDI performance using a Sample Tank instrument/Preset (one track).  ST4 in CbB routed to Voltage Modular (as FX Rack).

As a fan of echoes and delays, I really like having Softube's Echoes among my tools in part because the aesthetics of the UI impart a nice feeling. And it sounds quite nice!!  But if the animation is using that much extra CPU in a single instance, I'd really like to be able to click on an additional display button at the top to turn the animation off, to not see it, and ideally to save some CPU power.   Here -->  image.png.d258f8be2778d448cf5d6871d9f6f090.png   A setting would be OK as an alternative, but the display button would be quicker.

Note: This might not affect people with more powerful CPUs. Just thought I'd mention it as long as I checked it out for myself. 

Edited by User 905133
added details re IK; fixed typos
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

Interesting post. I listened to the Echos demos and really like the sound. I had a ton of other echo plugins in my collection. Mostly from IKM. Still debating. I am also a little antsy as I suspect the new volume collection should be coming out -- and this might be in it.

I'm thinking this will be in the next Softube Volume too, which wouldn't be so bad if they reduced the price based on the plugins you already bought.. 

I know it's only $15 but I decided to sit this one out. I have quite a few tape delays and after testing this, it does sound good and does have a nice sounding self oscillation. But with Valhalla Delay I was able to get pretty damn close to the sound.

The other tape delays all sound good too, they just all have their own flavour.  Valhalla just had the closest sound and self oscillation, along with lower in CPU.

This one is still good though, but I may end up buying the next Softube Volume when it's released.

6 hours ago, MusicMan said:

I'm thinking this will be in the next Softube Volume too, which wouldn't be so bad if they reduced the price based on the plugins you already bought.. 

I know it's only $15 but I decided to sit this one out. I have quite a few tape delays and after testing this, it does sound good and does have a nice sounding self oscillation. But with Valhalla Delay I was able to get pretty damn close to the sound.

The other tape delays all sound good too, they just all have their own flavour.  Valhalla just had the closest sound and self oscillation, along with lower in CPU.

This one is still good though, but I may end up buying the next Softube Volume when it's released.

Yup. Me too. I really like the sound. But sitting it out as am thinking it will be in next volume bundle.