Epic Free Game: Pinball FX 2022 (Maybe a deal)

abacab

Base game always free. There are paid add-ons and subscriptions available.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/pinball-fx

This title is in Early Access

"Pinball FX is an early access title, and many aspects of the game are still in active development. Early access is an opportunity for us to experiment with new ideas and figure out what works best with the help of direct feedback from the community. Throughout the coming months, we’ll be looking closely at how players engage with initiatives, features and content."

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Not until they bring the Archer table over from Pinball FX2/3 (is this still that same company?) and/or the good Williams tables like Attack from Mars, High Speed II, etc.  Or Addams Family from any virtual pin company, I think Pinball Arcade did it IIRC.  :) 

According to some Epic comments I have seen, you can still play your old table versions in the original FX2/3, but they will not carry over to the new version.

Lots of flame comments on the net from existing users regarding this, and the micro payment system. But I am not one of them, so clueless... 🤔

On 7/27/2022 at 12:10 PM, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Wasn't the new Pinball FX a mess recently?  I am not part of the "f Epic" movement but I think the timing was bad because they transitioned it from Pinball FX3 into something people didn't really like during Early Access from what I recall and that's not a great look/time.

I just want Unreal Tournament and was excited for that update that fizzled out unfortunately.  I wonder if the ancient version runs on Windows 10 or 11.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:33 PM, User 905133 said:

I didn't know about the movement, but after my post I went to Epic, saw the FX Pinball there, signed up for an account, got the free starter version, and installed it.  I get a popup saying my PC doesn't support DX12. But, dxdiag says I have DX12.  Not a big enough issue for me to join a movement!  I know I had the MS-DOS versions running on an older PC within the past 5-10 years.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

"Pinball FX is an early access title, and many aspects of the game are still in active development. Early access is an opportunity for us to experiment with new ideas and figure out what works best with the help of direct feedback from the community. Throughout the coming months, we’ll be looking closely at how players engage with initiatives, features and content."

OK.  Since they want feedback I will give it a try.  Thanks for the heads up.

UPDATE:  "This edition contains something you already have. Still interested?"  I said No, thanks.  Instead of Buy it.  Why should I pay to test it for them?

NEW UPDATE:  Launcher still says I need DX 12. Is DX 12 something different than DirectX 12?  Nvidia says they are the same. 

Epic Pinball FX says my system doesn't support DX12. DXDiag says I have DirectX 12 and reports no errors. The internet says DX12 = DirectX12.

Please bring back classic EPIC PINBALL that worked under MS-DOS and don't use DX12.

Thanks.

Feedback sent.  I'll let you know if they honor my "request."

Edited by User 905133
to add a new update; to add an update
  • Great Idea 1

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

OK.  Since they want feedback I will give it a try.  Thanks for the heads up.

I started to download it on my Win 7 gaming PC today, then I realized that it's Windows 10 minimum. Cancelled...

Might be brave and try installing the Epic Games installer on my DAW which is Windows 10, and has an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 with DX12. :)

• Sad 1

OK, installed it on my Win10 PC, and it works great! Big fun! :)

Today's free games are Star Wars Pinball: Masters of the Force, and Williams Pinball: The Getaway High Speed II. They seem to rotate them daily, hoping you will buy some tables.

Just an FYI, the disk space required is nearly 16GB. I was wondering why the download took so long. Assume you get it all, then they just unlock content as needed.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, abacab said:

OK, installed it on my Win10 PC, and it works great! Big fun! :)

Today's free games are Star Wars Pinball: Masters of the Force, and Williams Pinball: The Getaway High Speed II. They seem to rotate them daily, hoping you will buy some tables.

Just an FYI, the disk space required is nearly 16GB. I was wondering why the download took so long. Assume you get it all, then they just unlock content as needed.

I have a soft spot for High Speed II but I may have missed it.  Oh well :) I have it on the PBFX3 anyway

29 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I have a soft spot for High Speed II but I may have missed it.  Oh well :) I have it on the PBFX3 anyway

I never played FX3, but gotta say that the graphics on the new version are outstanding! That's probably why the package weighs 16GB, LOL! 🤣

50 minutes ago, abacab said:

I never played FX3, but gotta say that the graphics on the new version are outstanding! That's probably why the package weighs 16GB, LOL! 🤣

No way, must be all that "physics code" :)   But I will definitely try it out. Still considering a virtual table but it has to have haptic/physical feedback and I prefer it isn't done simply by using bass-heavy audio...  Unfortunately some of the virtual pins out there just use hyped bass to simulate some of the physical aspects of a real table.  I also need to be able to nudge (or maybe tilt!) the table too.

11 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I also need to be able to nudge (or maybe tilt!) the table too.

I'm going to give it a try with my Xbox 360 controller for PC (USB). I'm a bit of a klutz using my PC keyboard with the 'Shift' keys for L/R flippers, 'Alt' keys for nudge L/R, and 'Space' for nudge forward.

BTW, there are still 6 hours left on the free play rotation for "Getaway". :)

51 minutes ago, abacab said:

I'm going to give it a try with my Xbox 360 controller for PC (USB).

The Xbox 360 controller works much better!

The controller has the haptic "rumble" feedback that you can feel when the table moves. It's rather artificial, and non-directional, but gives a cue that something is moving.

The controller uses the left and right triggers as flipper buttons, and the left joystick does the nudging. Careful though, I got a few "Tilts" using that, LOL!!! 😜

20 hours ago, abacab said:

Was this given away some time earlier too? I am already seeing it in my library.

33 minutes ago, Kal S said:

Was this given away some time earlier too? I am already seeing it in my library.

This is a new 2022 edition of Pinball FX in "Early Access" release as of 3/31/2022. You may very well have found it and added to your account already.

It is not Pinball FX2/3.

The base game is always free. Just posted as "Maybe a deal" for those not aware of it.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1