IK - Amplitube TONEX - Has Landed

Heath Row

My desktop computer has a very old Nvidia card in it.  Haven't tested that yet.

Laptop just has Intel graphics and I'm going to need the portability to capture anything other than my boutique pedals.  

What I'm really after with this tech is grabbing PTP Handwired Tube Goodness.  

Is the TONEX Capture "Line Input" balanced -or- unbalanced?  I tried looking for documentation for the TONEX Capture box on the IK site, but couldn't find technical specifications.

Edited by Tom B
Added 'specifications'

@Peter - IK Multimedia   I could open a support ticket on this but it seems that any profile one creates and also downloads from the "user" tone models do not sync to other machines that are also tied to my account.  

This seems problematic to keep things similar across machines as it would be quite labor intensive to manually match across multiple machines.  

Also is there a way to transfer these things manually?  If I create a profile (and also have presets downloaded) from one machine and put them on another?  That could at least serve as a work around until product updates are made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 9:45 AM, Brian Walton said:

@Peter - IK Multimedia   I could open a support ticket on this but it seems that any profile one creates and also downloads from the "user" tone models do not sync to other machines that are also tied to my account.  

This seems problematic to keep things similar across machines as it would be quite labor intensive to manually match across multiple machines.  

Also is there a way to transfer these things manually?  If I create a profile (and also have presets downloaded) from one machine and put them on another?  That could at least serve as a work around until product updates are made.

Sorry I missed this.  They don't sync across machines currently but you should be able to export from TONEX.  If that isn't helpful I'd reach out to support with more details and they may have a better solution/recommendation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

TONEX 1.0.2 and AmpliTube 5.5.1 are out! Please update both using IK Product Manager, and then start TONEX 1.0.2 first to make sure your library.db is initialized properly and then you can start and use AmpliTube 5.5.

Updated.

Note: I had to run the installer twice on macOS as I noticed the VST3 plugins were not updated.  It may have been a result of manually removing the VST and AU plugins after the original installation (SSD space is precious).  I manually removed the VST3 plugins and reinstalled.

19 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Any release notes?

AmpliTube 5.5.1

Release Notes

Changes from version 5.5.0:

• Features the new TONEX improvements that enhance sound accuracy in TONE MODELs without the cabinet.
  • Fixed an issue that could create inconsistencies in sound in TONEX Stomp TONE MODELs and AmpliTube stomp TONE MODELs.
  • TONEX: Implemented gain reduction meter in the compressor module.
  • General reliability improvements.

TONEX for Mac/PC

Release Notes

Changes from version 1.0.1:

• Fixed an issue that could cause inaccuracies when capturing TONE MODEL AMPs without a cabinet ("Amp" and "Stomp and Amp" TONE MODELs).
  • Improved by 30% the Advance Training timing.
  • Added up and down arrows to browse TONE MODEL AMPs and CABs.
  • Implemented gain reduction meter in the compressor module.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause crashes when using TONEX as a plug-in inside a DAW.
  • Fixed an issue that avoided sorting in ToneNET.
  • General graphic improvements.
  • General reliability improvements.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm exploring of Tonex CS 1.0.2 now and getting white "demo" noise even for free online patches like this one:

image.png.4c278cbc758694680d8cf17202349105.png

I have tried to call "Restore Purchase" from Tonex VST and Custom Shop app but without success - the noise is still there.

Am I miss something to do/set/confirm?

Edited by filo

2 minutes ago, filo said:

I'm exploring of Tonex CS 1.0.2 now and getting white "demo" noise even for free online patches like this one:

image.png.4c278cbc758694680d8cf17202349105.png

I have tried to call "Restore Purchase" from Tonex VST and Custom Shop app but without success - the noise is still there.

Am I miss something to do/set/confirm?

I think ToneX CS is limited to 20 or so free models.

29 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I think ToneX CS is limited to 20 or so free models.

Thanks and I'm sorry for your time.  I should read all pages in this thread at first.  I didn't expect online ToneNet behaviour is slightly different from AT5 which I know. My fault.

Edited by filo

10 minutes ago, filo said:

Thanks and I'm sorry for your time.  I should read all pages in this thread at first.  I didn't expect online ToneNet behaviour is slightly different from AT5 which I know. My fault.

AT5 also has the dreaded white noise if you don't own something too though, right?

How frequent and loud the white noise is maddening.  Thankfully now that I have SE, I'd only get that noise if trying out IKM's own modeled gear - when trying out user created stuff there is no noise once you upgrade.  I wasn't in the market for "more stuff" but as long as people keep modeling gear (and doing a good job of it) this will be worth it as it is nice to try some different tones that can be rather high quality on top of modeling your own gear to make future recording sessions easier.  

It seems a pretty rare occassion where I really crank up a real world rig these days.  

As an update to previous posts about the capture process.  With a high end laptop running an Nvidia card in it, I can get a "default" quality capture in about 10 minutes.  Which is crazy considering my other computers with older processors and intel graphics take 5 hours to do the same process.

10 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

AT5 also has the dreaded white noise if you don't own something too though, right?

Right, but noise is present just for online presets where some part of chain is not free  or included  in particular AT5 version.
Here (in ToneX) is quite different situation I think - even free online presets are masked with noise and have to be downloaded at first if you want to rid of it.

26 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I wasn't in the market for "more stuff" but as long as people keep modeling gear (and doing a good job of it) this will be worth it as it is nice to try some different tones that can be rather high quality on top of modeling your own gear to make future recording sessions easier.  

I find the models by DeanWinter very well done. You can search them by name in Tonenet, if you want to check them out.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I find the models by DeanWinter very well done. You can search them by name in Tonenet, if you want to check them out.

Yep, he is already on my "follow" list.  

There are really only a handfull of people it seems like really churning a bunch out.  I said it before when it was released, the method of capture is going to limit what we get as I personally think re-amp devices are not something your average guitar player has.

I did a lot of boutique effects pedal grabs as that was easy for me to do at low volumes.  I also did a few low watt amps with small cabs to test the waters and try out mic combos easily.  But I'm going to have to coordinate some studio time to get some high-end amp stuff.  

• Like 1

I liquidated a couple of my nice tube-amps... but I still have a 20th Bogner Ecstasy and a H&K Triamp mk3.

Also have a nice collection of boost/drive pedals.

I'll get around to Capturing those as time permits.

For testing the waters (easy/silent), I've been Capturing some of my favorite Helix amp tones.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I did a lot of boutique effects pedal grabs as that was easy for me to do at low volumes.  I also did a few low watt amps with small cabs to test the waters and try out mic combos easily.  But I'm going to have to coordinate some studio time to get some high-end amp stuff.  

Are they uploaded? If so, what name can I search? I'm definitely finding myself leaning to the people actually using real mics and listing them. There are a flood of Kemper Profile Amp (KPA) models and I don't know if it's just me being stubborn, but I avoid those ones.