Use KORG nanoKontrol2 to control MIDI CC's of a VST instrument

Viet To

Question

I've just bought the KORG nanoKontrol2 controller in hope to be able to record MIDI CC numbers such as CC #11 by adjusting the slider on the nanoKontrol2 while playing the strings, e.g., Eastwest Hollywood Strings VST library.  I've spent many hours trying to figure how to do that but no luck so far.  Does anyone know how to use the nanoKontrol2 to send MIDI CC's to Cakewalk and can help me set up the nanoKontrol2 to do that?  Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Make sure your nanoKontrol2 is actually transmitting CC events when you adjust a control. (Check the user guide for the nanoKontrol2)

For the MIDI track that has its output set to your VSTi:

Enable “Local echo”  

Make sure the nanoKontrol2 is set as its input

Check the user guide of what ever VST you are wanting to control and look for MIDI learn to attach a controller to a VSTi parameter.

Enable MIDI learn on the VSTi while moving controller on the nanoKontrol2.

ARM MIDI track, then record MIDI events as you would any other MIDI events - then adjust control on the nanoKontrol2.

• Like 1

A bit more concrete:

1. switch the device into CC mode (press and hold SET MARKER and CYCLE buttons while connecting USB cable)
  2. make sure Korg MIDI input is found and enabled in Cakewalk MIDI preferences
  3. make sure you do NOT use any Control Surface plug-in in Cakewalk preferences (at least not with Korg MIDI input/output)

What Korg sends can be configured using Korg editor.

• Like 1

Yeah, like @azslow3 and @Promidi said once you put the nanokontrol into CC mode and use the korg editor to configure which cc is sent by each slider, it works well for what you are wanting to do.

The thing I had trouble coming to terms with is that the unit can only work in either CC mode or DAW mode. And there's no good way to switch between them. So to use it for VST purposes, you have to forget about the transport controls and nice buttons that light up and all that! Once I accepted that and just used the transport controls on my keyboard, I do find it useful for expression and so on. Also I use the rotary knobs for Native Instruments Play series VSTs. 

Edited by musekamp
  • Thanks 1