new project isn't working

alex tillman

Question

5 answers to this question

Check the folder preferences for project templates, then look in that folder using file explorer for the actual <project>.cwt files.

I have had certain odd things get hashed in my global preferences after a few of the application updates over the last couple years. Worth a look.

Edited by OutrageProductions

I think what @alex tillman is saying - when you launch Cakewalk, and get the Start Screen, you have options to open a prior project, or you can click the tab on the left to start a new project.  Usually, there's a list of pre-made project templates (4 track, etc) - those aren't there since the update.  I'm having this same issue.  I'll attach a screen shot of what I'm seeing.

You have to close out the Start Screen and go to File -> New to start a project, and the project that opens is TOTALLY blank.  You have to create the console view, add tracks, everything.

Empty New Project.png

On 8/11/2022 at 8:00 PM, Psycho Bob Studios said:

Usually, there's a list of pre-made project templates (4 track, etc) - those aren't there since the update. 

That's why Outrage Productions suggested, "Check the folder preferences for project templates, then look in that folder using file explorer for the actual <project>.cwt files."

Correcting the path or restoring the template files to the specified path from a backup should fix it. I can't say I've ever seen an update cause a probem like this, but I have all my folder paths pointing to custom locations that are not touched by installs/updates. If I know of some new content being added that I want to use, I copy it over to my custom locations. But I just checked the default Content path, and the default template files are there as expected.