Not A Deal - New DAW From Jim Roseberry

husker

"And ya - it's 2022. Maybe in 2005 you needed someone to help you build a system, because so many parts had compatibility issues. Literal children can build high end systems today. Shit, pcpartpicker will hold your hand and tell you exactly what you need and automatically flag problems in your build. Building a DAW system today is child's play. The only thing that might be a challenge for some is delidding or pasting the CPU. But you don't need to pay a $2000 premium on a $3000 machine for the service. People charging those premiums are just straight up assholes - I don't care how much charm and salesmanship they use to get people to overpay. That applies to Apple or small businesses."

This very specifically defines the difference between an amateur and a professional.   Some of us prefer the professional......... Because  - you know  IT'S PROFESSIONAL.  I have the choice between a 129.00 interface   and a 3000.00 interface. I choose the 3000.00 interface. It doesn't make it a rip off !  I chose it for my reasons.

also - Hosing around the internet does not make a person smart, savey, on top of it ...or  whatever. It might just mean you read about someone who is actually professional - and think you know better.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Studio Monkey said:

I have a question for Jim. So the $2-3k mark up is for putting it together  and for the bios and other settings. But other wise, it’s the exact same parts anyone else can put together? That does  seem very pricey. How much do you charge for just a parts list? How much do you charge to tell someone  just what bios and other settings to make?  And isn’t that same information availability for free from other community members?  Just trying to understand why those things are worth a $2000 to $3000 mark up. Not that there is no value. But dang that’s a lot. Could buy a lot of gear for that difference 

20 minutes ago, Studio Monkey said:

Calling me a hater doesn’t see very impartial. Just saying. 

JMO: Saying, "Just trying to understand," after the previous comments without having gone to his website, doesn't seem to make you qualified to challenge someone else's impartiality. 

Disclosure: I have never bought a computer or any services from Jim.  However, I have seen comments from other forum members who have.  I have also seen many positive and insightful contributions he has made to quite a number of discussions.  I have also seen many posts from others who might be called contrarians, malcontents, etc.  

Edited by User 905133
inserted a missing word: "to"

40 minutes ago, Studio Monkey said:

Thanks for providing some more info. I’m genuinely curious.

From my experience, Jim is a straight up guy. He doesn't overcharge. He charges a price that makes it worth his time and effort. And his systems are rock solid. Which when your in the moment of creating, you don't want anything to stop the creative flow. Jim's studio PC's are worth what you pay for it. Believe me.

Jim will also advise you on what to buy (such as Bapu's situation) so you can build it yourself. That is the route I have taken for the last 3 builds. And every build has lasted me well over five years each. He does charge what I believe is a very nominal fee for that service. But as others have pointed out, he goes above and beyond to help out with his support. He offers many different services revolving around keeping your music machine going with little to fuss.

Sends him an email, let him know what you need, and he will get you fixed up. And the price you pay for it will be worth every cent.

• Like 1

So Studio Monkey created an account today just to post in this thread, picked a username that plays off of Jim's Studio Cat company name, and he's "just curious" with his questions that you can gleam from the website? 

Nothing suspicious there. Nope not at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SmokeyJ628 said:

So Studio Monkey created an account today just to post in this thread, picked a username that plays off of Jim's Studio Cat company name, and he's "just curious" with his questions that you can gleam from the website? 

Nothing suspicious there. Nope not at all.

Thanks for that insight.  I didn't realize that. 

Makes you wonder for sure.

• Haha 1

Since I happen to be on this thread this evening, I am happy to report that this week I ordered Jim's Pro Studio DAW tricked up with Jim's recommended i9-12900k chip, 32GB RAM, and one of dem der newfangled 1 TB M2 SSD drives for sample libraries, along with a few other extras.

I found out about Jim's business through this site, looked at all his "Tower" computer family on his web site and decided on the Platinum Studio. Sent Jim an email with a couple questions and he responded within an hour with complete answers to my questions as well as suggesting to call him to discuss. I did so, and Jim talked me down from that higher priced model based on his understanding of my needs. We had a very informative (for me) conversation and I felt very comfortable with Jim's knowledge and guidance to entrust him to build my dream music machine. As an older retiree, long-time keyboardist/music hobbyist, and very long-time (25+ yrs) Cakewak user, I believe I will be getting a perfect PC to pursue my ongoing study of vocal recording and music production and being able to use some of the CPU-intensive applications (Izotope Nectar3, Ozone9, RX8) , Sampletank4, and IKMultimedia products & plugins that I already own (without having to do work-arounds!) and can now look seriously at other products that I couldn't run on my 11 yr old PC.

I am sooo looking forward to being able to update my forum signature lines with my brand spankin' new music computer in September. Then going through the dreaded process of reloading my software products, plugins, instruments, etc onto the new machine. Hopefully I will have the fortitude to archive or delete many of the  products I've acquired over the last 20 yrs, and skinny my rig down to the ones I really use, like a couple posters here have done.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

7 hours ago, abacab said:

On my soapbox for just a sec...

[soapbox]

There is a huge difference between a computer used by a music professional, and one used by a hobbyist/bedroom producer.

The professional user really cannot afford ANY downtime, while the hobbyist can save a few bucks by rolling their own, and then deal with any downtime that occurs down the road.

The professional has paying clients, and most likely committed turnaround times. Downtime could mean lost revenue and customers.

The hobbyist will possibly need to spend hours, days, or weeks, researching on the internet and posting on forums about his issues while seeking answers. Trust me, I've been in those shoes. I've also been in the shoes of an IT pro at work (non-music related), where an outage typically cost the company approximately $10,000 per minute. Huge pressure, and a completely different perspective when your business depends on 100% uptime.

Paying a premium is similar to a warranty or service plan. My company spent a fair amount on service contracts with providers.

[/soapbox off]

You aren't running NASA. Professional composer for 26 years. Built my own systems most of that time.  It isn't difficult. Knowing how to build and maintain my own systems, knowing each part that is in the machines I use, means I have zero downtime and require zero technical support. Ever. It saves me time and money over and over again. 

Meanwhile, colleagues that pay "premium" (and I said premium as a joke, I clearly meant "ripped off") to have systems built for them are CONSTANTLY calling me for technical help, because they can't be bothered to learn their own systems. Always wondering if there system is running correctly / efficiently. Never sure if a problem is software or hardware.  When a problem occurs in the middle of the night, they have no idea how to diagnose and fix the problem. Because they don't understand what's in their machines. Don't understand the operating system, or how peripherals are interacting with the OS. And rely on other people to maintain critically important parts of their business, and hope those people are available when a problem occurs. 

You basically just advocated for a composer to outsource their technical expertise to someone that is NOT in the studio. If you have an in-house technician, then sure, outsource away. But outsourcing that expertise to someone 1000s of miles away is going to cost you A LOT money and time in the long run. Composing / producing music is a technical and creative job.  You can't ignore the technical part and expect to be efficient.

Horses for courses.

There are no rules about how or not you should get your computer built. Some like to do it themselves, others like to get others to do it. There are pros and cons for each but people have different needs. I'm waiting to do a guts upgrade, a Mobo with an 8th to 10th gen i7 intel with 16gig of ram or more. I don't want the latest because it is too powerful for my needs and I live in a country with the 2nd highest electricity bills in the world, in a state in that country that has the highest bills of all the other states. I don't need all the heat either.

I could do it myself but there is a local guy who is going to do it for me, with warranty, so that's good for peace of mind. If anything does go wrong hardware wise. I've swapped out and maintained computers for years, for video editing and music the reality is, they are incredibly reliable. Back in the day, there were problems but today, not so much. For the average Home muso doing audio recording and using VST's like kontakt or komplete etc with a midi controller all you need is:

i7 7th to 10th gen
16gig ram (all the same)
3 SSD hard drives (minimum)
Separate graphics card
Separate reputable audio interface
4 - 6 USB ports
Windows 10 or 11
No Wifi or lan
No Antivirus
Reputable DAW

Done and dusted. This will do everything you need without problems. 

The only hardware problems seem to come from mismatched or not properly seated ram or lack of hard drives. That's about it really. Any modern computer is pretty reliable. Any other problems are going to be software related which is why I disable any wifi or lan and on board audio and also have no antivirus (just what comes with windows).

DAW related problems, if they occur, can be sorted by googling or on a forum. Windows related problems, if they occur, can be sorted the same way. The reality is though, you shouldn't get any problems. If you've got modern third party hardware devices, like a particular keyboard or mixer etc then there may be some stuffing about setting it up but once set up, shouldn't give any problems. If your using old gear then there may be workarounds or you may need to get more modern gear.

People who have mission critical projects though, it helps to have a phone number of a local tech should something unusual pop up but most home musos don't need that.  I had a video editing business many years ago, in the days of XP and Vista, that was a dodgy period for windows and video editing, it was great then having access to a Tech on the phone. If I were running a business today, I would want access to a Tech on the phone or someone to come around, if for nothing else so I could be doing something else while they fix the problem.

I am amazed at how reliable computers are today, compared to yesteryear.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1

Some people "just want/need it to work." Look at the popularity of Apple's systems among content creators.

If you want to use a Macintosh computer, you have no choice but to buy it from a systems integrator, Apple. They take it to another level by creating both the operating system and the hardware it runs on.

36 minutes ago, Studio Monkey said:

Some of you guys really need to get a life. Hilarious.  Anyway.  The questions I have are not on his web site.  I want to understand the value. Not some  overly flowery opinions.  I want to know how much more does he charge over just the parts cost.  Someone said 2-$3000 over the parts cost. That’s extremely pricey.  Someone else said 300-$400. That’s very reasonable and a good value.  But no definitive answer on that.  I also want to know how much for just  a parts list or how much for just what tweaks to make.  Since that sort of information is available for free from various daw communities. Im wondering what he charges for that info. If it’s reasonable, it may be a good value, given  his expertise.  

Jim charges for consultation but I don't know how much his fee is. Email him and ask. I heard it was very reasonable for his services.  Jim really isn't over-priced for his systems IMHO.  If you price it out yourself on Newegg, Microcenter, etc you will be able to see that yourself.    Jim has been apart of this community from the Cakewalk before Sonar days. He built the PC-DAW's for Sweetwater and helped them setup the Sweetwater Creation Station DAW's.  

I guess because I built computers in the past I know what a good computer costs and Jim is several hundred dollars more for his services.

Peace Studio Monkey :D  

15 hours ago, Studio Monkey said:

You. guys are nuts. Whatever.  I just was curious about the value. But geez man. You guys need to relax. If Jim wants to answer, fine. If not. Fine too.  Not gonna engage in this stupidity. Take care. ✌🏿 [Emphasis added]

1 hour ago, Studio Monkey said:

Some of you guys really need to get a life. Hilarious.  Anyway.  The questions I have are not on his web site.  I want to understand the value. Not some  overly flowery opinions.  I want to know how much more does he charge over just the parts cost.  Someone said 2-$3000 over the parts cost. That’s extremely pricey.  Someone else said 300-$400. That’s very reasonable and a good value.  But no definitive answer on that.  I also want to know how much for just  a parts list or how much for just what tweaks to make.  Since that sort of information is available for free from various daw communities. Im wondering what he charges for that info. If it’s reasonable, it may be a good value, given  his expertise.  

You went back on your word.  After calling all of us nuts, I was really hoping you were going to stop posting. 

You lumped together everyone including many well-respected members of the community who posted fact-based comments and positive accounts of actual first hand experience solely for the purpose of lobbing a collective insult.

If you want to establish some bona fide credibility for anything you have to say, please honor your pledge and stop engaging in stupidity, insults, trolling, etc.   

Edited by User 905133
to fix a typo

Some of the figures from above are humorous... but way off base.

I sent a 9+k machine out a few weeks back... and margin was not 2k.

Turnabout is fair play.

So, what do "Monkey" and "Carl" do for a living... and what do they get paid?

Of course, it will be easy for me to say their services are not worth it... and both are overpaid.

I could certainly do it myself for a lot less.  Total waste of money.

I think you're grossly over-paid... and I'll tell you what I think you should make.

Sound ridiculous?  It is...

• Like 8