Not A Deal - New DAW From Jim Roseberry

husker

Holy bad advice, batman.

Win10 x64 Pro licenses that are sold for $20... are not usually legit.

Legit OEM copies typically sell for $150.

A High-School "gamer" doesn't know the first thing about building/configuring a DAW.

Let's say you have a 10900k based machine... and you're running a Thunderbolt audio interface.

Tell me which BIOS parameters need to be tweaked (and to what settings) for audio to play clean?

Do those same settings apply to a 12th gen 12900k?

I can buy guitar parts and assemble a guitar for much less than a US PRS or Suhr.

At the end of that assembly, the guitar will function.

Will it play like a PRS or Suhr?  No way.

Does that make PRS or Suhr grossly overpriced?

Only if you don't value the quality and attention to detail.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I can buy guitar parts and assemble a guitar for much less than a US PRS or Suhr.

At the end of that assembly, the guitar will function.

Will it play like a PRS or Suhr?  No way.

Does that make PRS or Suhr grossly overpriced?

Only if you don't value the quality and attention to detail.

Excellent analogy.

3 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Save your money people. Just hire a high school gamer to build you a kick ***** system for 1/2 the price. You'll be just fine. That site is an absolutely enormous waste of money. 

That's a very disrespectful thing to say about someone who has been a very helpful long-time forum  member here, and has been building custom DAWs for music professionals for decades.

You get what you pay for. Jim has actual real advice and support to offer DAW users based on many, many years of real experience. Not all musicians have the time or inclination to build their own.

Did you happen to miss the testimonials from the other users in this thread, or just wake up grumpy today?

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's a very disrespectful thing to say about someone who has been a very helpful long-time forum  member here, and has been building custom DAWs for music professionals for decades.

I could really care less. Someone's waaaay overcharging for parts then I'll call them on it. But comments like these - which seem to come every time I point out something is overpriced here - is probably why every musician I know is broke. These aren't your friends. They run a business. They want your money. The more the better.

And ya - it's 2022. Maybe in 2005 you needed someone to help you build a system, because so many parts had compatibility issues. Literal children can build high end systems today. Shit, pcpartpicker will hold your hand and tell you exactly what you need and automatically flag problems in your build. Building a DAW system today is child's play. The only thing that might be a challenge for some is delidding or pasting the CPU. But you don't need to pay a $2000 premium on a $3000 machine for the service. People charging those premiums are just straight up assholes - I don't care how much charm and salesmanship they use to get people to overpay. That applies to Apple or small businesses.

• Meh 1

35 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

I could really care less. Someone's waaaay overcharging for parts then I'll call them on it. But comments like these - which seem to come every time I point out something is overpriced here - is probably why every musician I know is broke. These aren't your friends. They run a business. They want your money. The more the better.

And ya - it's 2022. Maybe in 2005 you needed someone to help you build a system, because so many parts had compatibility issues. Literal children can build high end systems today. Shit, pcpartpicker will hold your hand and tell you exactly what you need and automatically flag problems in your build. Building a DAW system today is child's play. The only thing that might be a challenge for some is delidding or pasting the CPU. But you don't need to pay a $2000 premium on a $3000 machine for the service. People charging those premiums are just straight up assholes - I don't care how much charm and salesmanship they use to get people to overpay. That applies to Apple or small businesses.

If you, your gaming buddies, and PC-Part-Picker know it all:

What Z590 BIOS settings are needed for a Thunderbolt audio interface to play clean? 

What BIOS settings are needed for a RME AES-32 audio interface to not cause high-pitch noise when using Reaper?

If you have no clue, you probably aren't the guy to be giving DAW advice.

I'm such an overcharging ******** that the CTO of Cakewalk uses a machine I built to compile CbB.

Know-it-all... who knows-it-not

• Like 3

Got a Project Studio DAW from Jim back in 2014.  Still use it to this day and have had absolutely no issues with it.  Early on, I had a few settings changes that I wanted to make and was not sure how to proceed, and I called them up and they walked me right through it.  

Yes, you do pay more (parts-wise) for computers from Jim and the other companies that build DAWs, but the know-how to tweak things so they just flat out work is worth extra.  Plus, you've got an actual person to talk who knows their stuff to ask questions if something does go amiss.

That extra cost won't be worth it for some people, and that's fine.  After my positive 8 year experience with a Purrrfect Audio DAW, I'll be going back there for my next one.

Edited by SmokeyJ628
  • Like 2

Can't agree more with the comments (save Mr. Ewing).  You are not just paying for parts but time, knowledge, and service.  Jim is the whole package and is not only willing, but absolutely does go above and beyond the extra mile!  Business?  Yes, but also a man of integrity, character, and patience.

Case in point was the most recent purchase for a church in rural Kansas with an unhappy pastor.  Jim shows up after online troubleshooting a few days later (drove himself) with parts in hand to rebuild if necessary.  Turns out, the youth pastor had prematurely updated the projection software with the latest and greatest which was what was causing the problems.  Jim politely, professionally, and without complaint set things right with the world, the computer, and the staff.

Love you man, and you really don't need to bother explaining yourself.  Thanks for all you do, wish I could afford to buy personally again!  Not that I need it, you're build is still going strong.

• Like 5

It's also slightly strange comparing the price of a PC with all new components including warranty (I'm assuming), to that of a PC with an OS licence of questionable nature and second-hand components where the vendor of your graphics card would probably shrug shoulders if it broke one day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

I could really care less.

When you don't care at all, to be grammatically correct, you should say "I couldn't care less".

What you said is "you could care less" which actually means you are still at some level of caring.

Where's @SteveStrummerUK when we need him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Studio Monkey said:

I have a question for Jim. So the $2-3k mark up is for putting it together and for the bios and other settings. 

Are we looking at the same web site? That studio pro has a base price of $2319 and adding an audio drive + sample drive makes it $2800. Where is the $2-3k mark up? I took a quick look at Dell and couldn't customize exactly, but it would be close to $2500. The mark up over Dell may be $3-400. That seems reasonable to me. I haven't bought from Jim so I'm fairly objective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

10 minutes ago, rsinger said:

Where is the $2-3k mark up?

The haters apparently just made that sh*t up!!! 😢

And I'm rather impartial as well. I have been building my own systems for 20+ years, as a hobby. But I have to say that for as long as Jim has been posting computer technical advice here, and on the legacy Cakewalk/Twelve Tones Inc. forums over the years, I have always listened. And learned a few things.

Strong credibility that one has! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

On my soapbox for just a sec...

[soapbox]

There is a huge difference between a computer used by a music professional, and one used by a hobbyist/bedroom producer.

The professional user really cannot afford ANY downtime, while the hobbyist can save a few bucks by rolling their own, and then deal with any downtime that occurs down the road.

The professional has paying clients, and most likely committed turnaround times. Downtime could mean lost revenue and customers.

The hobbyist will possibly need to spend hours, days, or weeks, researching on the internet and posting on forums about his issues while seeking answers. Trust me, I've been in those shoes. I've also been in the shoes of an IT pro at work (non-music related), where an outage typically cost the company approximately $10,000 per minute. Huge pressure, and a completely different perspective when your business depends on 100% uptime.

Paying a premium is similar to a warranty or service plan. My company spent a fair amount on service contracts with providers.

[/soapbox off]

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Studio Monkey said:

Calling me a hater doesn’t see very impartial. Just saying. 

I never mentioned you!

BTW, I see that you just joined the forum an hour ago. Register a fake account to troll the forum?

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1