Not A Deal - New DAW From Jim Roseberry

husker

Not necessarily a deal, but I wanted to give @Jim Roseberry some kudos for my new DAW.

We recently had two threads regarding new DAWs - @Larry Shelby thread on building his own new DAW:

And @Starship Krupa excellent thread about repurposing parts for a new build:

My last DAW was self built around 7 years ago, and it was time for a new one.  I'm a career "IT Guy," and although I spend most of my time these days in meetings and on airplanes, I've tried to stay technical enough to do everything for myself.  I've built countless computers over the last 25 years or so, so I generally know my way around computers.  I built a new water cooled gaming computer last year, and I came to the realization that I really just don't enjoy it anymore.  Quite honestly, it was a pain in the rear, and I pretty much hated the process.  It had always been a matter of pride for me to build my own computers, but I decided my next one would be purchased.

I started researching DAW builds around a year ago, but really couldn't find exactly what I wanted.  I'm generally picky about things, and needed some flexibility that most manufacturers couldn't provide.  Around 6 months ago, I contacted Jim and started talking to him about what I needed (and, sometimes more importantly, what I didn't.).  Jim was extremely friendly, gracious with his time, and certainly understood my requirements.  We emailed back and forth for several months (he probably wondered if I would ever hit that "purchase" button), and ordered a rack based DAW several weeks ago.

I received it about two weeks ago, and started getting it all set up.  Jim has continually been a great help to me, and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

So, if any of you need a new DAW and don't want to build your own, check out https://www.studiocat.com/

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, husker said:

My last DAW was self built around 7 years ago, and it was time for a new one.  I'm a career "IT Guy," and although I spend most of my time these days in meetings and on airplanes, I've tried to stay technical enough to do everything for myself.  I've built countless computers over the last 25 years or so, so I generally know my way around computers.  I built a new water cooled gaming computer last year, and I came to the realization that I really just don't enjoy it anymore.  Quite honestly, it was a pain in the rear, and I pretty much hated the process.  It had always been a matter of pride for me to build my own computers, but I decided my next one would be purchased.

I started researching DAW builds around a year ago, but really couldn't find exactly what I wanted.  I'm generally picky about things, and needed some flexibility that most manufacturers couldn't provide.  Around 6 months ago, I contacted Jim and started talking to him about what I needed (and, sometimes more importantly, what I didn't.).  Jim was extremely friendly, gracious with his time, and certainly understood my requirements.  We emailed back and forth for several months (he probably wondered if I would ever hit that "purchase" button), and ordered a rack based DAW several weeks ago.

I received it about two weeks ago, and started getting it all set up.  Jim has continually been a great help to me, and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

So, if any of you need a new DAW and don't want to build your own, check out https://www.studiocat.com/

Nice! I assume that you got the Pro Rack DAW? What did you provision yours with as far as CPU, RAM, and drives?

Edited by abacab

15 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

It was a pleasure to deal with Jim every step of the way and I am 100% happy with what he built for me.

He is a total professional.

Jim helped me build my last DAW. It should be good for at least 3-5 more years. After that I hope he's still in business so that I can finally buy a complete build from him.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, husker said:

I received it about two weeks ago, and started getting it all set up.

Specs or it didn't happen!

Tell it all. What was the old system (whenever I see someone give the specs of a system they're retiring from DAW use, the specs are usually a system that would be a significant upgrade for me 😁) If you're an IT person, you must have preferences in input devices as well. I got a new mousie today myself. Logi Anywhere 2.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

It was a pleasure to deal with Jim every step of the way and I am 100% happy with what he built for me.

He is a total professional.

I have enjoyed working with Jim as well. About 6 months ago, I was having a BIOS issue and working with him personally on the phone cured the issue in about 10 minutes!  A total win for me!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Specs or it didn't happen!

Tell it all. What was the old system (whenever I see someone give the specs of a system they're retiring from DAW use, the specs are usually a system that would be a significant upgrade for me 😁) If you're an IT person, you must have preferences in input devices as well. I got a new mousie today myself. Logi Anywhere 2.

@huskerWell???

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bapu said:

Jim helped me build my last DAW. It should be good for at least 3-5 more years. After that I hope he's still in business so that I can finally buy a complete build from him.

When you said "Jim helped me build my last DAW" does that mean you paid him for his parts list and then you built it yourself?

12 minutes ago, locrian said:

When you said "Jim helped me build my last DAW" does that mean you paid him for his parts list and then you built it yourself?

He counseled  me on a parts list based on my budget and needs, I put it together and then he helped me migrate my OS, Samples Drive and Project Drive into the new build. I of course paid him for his time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back in April of 2010 I ordered my i7 Pro + Studio DAW from Jim Roseberry and I am proud to say that it is still humming along as the only DAW in my studio!

I have since upgraded the OS to Windows 10 and swapped out all the original hard drives for SSDs. It runs beautifully and is STILL powerful enough to handle my largest mixes!

It is so quiet, I record my vocals just a few feet away from the DAW! 

I would highly recommend Jim's company. To top it all off, Jim is a great guy!

This Cakewalk forum is also my number one musical resource. Many good people have given me great advice and help here. I've made major purchases for my music making based on advice from people like Jim Roseberry, Bapu, and CCLarry to name a few!

Thank you all! 

Mark

MGC DAW.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Two “Cats” here, the oldest built in 2010. Still purring!!

Wow, Tom and Mark, that is an excellent endorsement for Jim's products. Buy the best and just forget about it for the next dozen (or more) years. And when it's time to retire it, you have a silent case and power supply to give to someone building a quiet gaming rig.

I managed to get my latest build, Narsil (the sword reforged) down to about 32dB with the iPhone dB meter next to the case. The fan from the refrigerator in the next room is louder. But I can still hear the power supply fan. I'm already wondering if I could get it quieter by swapping in a $10 Be Quiet or Noctua.

That kind of fiddly-tinkery stuff is something that I enjoy, but it's something you haven't had to think twice about in a dozen years. A  DAW system that remains viable across 3 presidential terms is pretty danged tasty.

IMO, it's also a testament to the Cakewalk dev team, who have made the SONAR/CbB code more efficient in the past 4 years. The first release of CbB was kind of a slug on the i7-3770 I had at the time, but it runs great on that same system now. See how many times "various audio engine optimizations" and "UI drawing" appears in the release notes.

• Like 3