Cakewalk not selecting where I have selected in piano roll...

Rok TheKasbah

Question

When I make a selection at an interval before a note, say at the beginning of a measure and the note starts somewhere after the beginning of that measure, cakewalk does not copy the space that I intentionally highlighted prior to the the note, so that I can then move further down the timeline and place the cursor directly at the beginning of a measure, then paste.

what happens instead is I highlight starting at the beginning of the measure, but cakewalk automatically decides to start its selection at at the beginning of the NOTE, so when I mover further down the timeline, and place the cursor on exactly on the measure then paste, cakewalk pastes the first note directly on the start of the measure, instead of including the space that I intentionally selected prior to the note.

Is there a setting that will direct Cakewalk to include the space at the beginning of the selection, and also paste that space?

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, bdickens said:

So, of you are copying a phrase that starts on the and of 2,  that's where you have to place the cursor when you paste.

That is really unfortunate, seeing as how I dont know exactly where that space is. I guess I can make a note of exactly how many seconds/samples there are between the start of the measure, and the first note, then go to the measure where I want to paste, and then scroll exactly that amount of seconds/samples and paste there, but that seems ridiculous.

I dont remember having this issue before, at least I dont remember it with cakewalk 3.1. I was using cakewalk for audio after 3.1 so I would not have needed this function if it was eliminated in later versions.

Or maybe this problem always existed in  piano roll in 3.1 but acted differently in the arrangement view I cant remember.

But I am surprised that I can't intentionally copy space prior to midi events, and them paste that space later. I think it works with "clips" in arrangement view does it not? I guess I will try that.