How to Block MIDI Note Range?

Astraios

On 7/2/2019 at 12:43 AM, Astra-Ios said:

781111545_TrackDoorman2.PNG.74c5c6908fd5475136bd14e3e407ea8e.PNGThat's what it looks like, but I haven't yet get it to work

good night - it's late again

Okay, doorman works similarly like the MFX scook has recommended before. It acts more like a filter for already taken notes. Not really what I'm searching for… 🧐

If what you want is the notes to not show up on the track at all, the only way to get that to work is to use two MIDI tracks and a virtual MIDI cable.  Stick the MFX MIDI plugin on the first track, turn it's echo on, set it's input to the keyboard and it's output to the virtual MIDI cable.  On track number 2, the only one you record/use, set it's input to the virtual MIDI cable's output and it's output to the software instrument you are using.

The first track with the MFX MIDI plugin (perhaps more than one depending on what exactly you want to filter) filters out the MIDI and the second track does the recording.

You can also set up something like this using an external app (MIDI Ox) and virtual MIDI cables.

Having Mute and Solo buttons on keys in the PRV I don't think would do what you are talking about either.  All it would do is prevent a key from playing.  It wouldn't stop it from recording/etc.  If you want to use the virtual soft keyboard and have it just not show notes outside the range you'd need a whole new feature inside CbB.

• Great Idea 1

Just FYI, Studio One can do this using their proprietary Note FX (aka MIDI FX) "Input Filter" on the MIDI input, per instrument track. You can set the key range and it will not record or play anything above or below that range.

• Great Idea 1

You are right, Matthew, my way it only prevents notes from playing. When record CbB shows up the notes that are outside of the limited range.

As I wrote before, I want to use the notes from 1 till 24 and from 107 to 127 for midi controlling. (Who needs these very upper and lower notes?) ⁉️

I've had routed the mackie commands, which are sent my midi controller via MIDIox to these upper and lower values and this works fine to me.

So the problem was (or is), when I trigger a note-on command for example in generic  control Surface or ATC an useless sound will also appear.

This is actually not too bad, but I don't like it...

Edited by Astra-Ios

17 minutes ago, abacab said:

Just FYI, Studio One can do this using their proprietary Note FX (aka MIDI FX) "Input Filter" on the MIDI input, per instrument track. You can set the key range and it will not record or play anything above or below that range.

Oh, I didn't knew that and it is interesting.

It seems, ableton can do something similar:

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/note-range-setters/

But I will only stop working with Sonar / CbB if it is forbidden by death 🙄😁😏

Edited by Astra-Ios

Truthfully CbB/SONAR has long needed much more complex MIDI routing features.  It should provide virtual MIDI cables and routing without requiring external drivers.  It could also support more advanced filtering, etc (ability to place the MFX plugin before the record for example).  There were rumors the patch point and aux virtual buses might be expanded to cover MIDI tracks (or perhaps MIDI versions of the same).  But that work has never happened.  I'm still hopeful that one day I can take a single MIDI track, and route it to more than one soft synth without having to use something outside of CbB.  I'd love to be able to bus and patch MIDI data like we can do audio.

I'd also really like a much better drum map editor and the ability to create/edit arp patterns.  All things Cakewalk could/should do, but for now you just have to work around it sometimes.

Well it seems that the majority of CbB users voted for audio editing enhancements recently, so MIDI may have to get on the back of the bus.

According to this survey it was 34% to 16% in favor of focusing on audio editing development.