How to Block MIDI Note Range?

Astraios

Hi and Hello 🤠

Has anyone successfully blocked a range of incoming MIDI Notes from a track?

I want to block lower incomming midi notes  (of my Control Keyboard) from 1 to 24 and upper incomming notes from 101 to 127.

I use these  notes in a mackie based Control setup and

as I use them for control my synths and FX I don't want to hear a certain sound when pushing my buttons.

Something like this: https://isotonikstudios.com/product/note-range-setters/557657235_noterange.PNG.2265ca70b59fd8f7be0955ea382bb434.PNG

Edited by Astra-Ios

Scook, as far as I can see,this tool works only for already existing notes in the track and

doesn't affect the incomming midi note-on commands of my midi-controller not a bit.

What I'm looking for, is a tool or a method to filter out or block incomming note commands

in a certain range of the 0-127 spectrum. I don't really need the very low and upper notes

to work. With the MIDI-OX tool I can do a lot, but this sucks...

It is true, CbB records the data at its inputs. So, to record a signal after an FX rack requires routing the signal through the FX rack and recording it on another track. For audio, this may be done using patch points. For MIDI, this may be done with a virtual MIDI cable. I know of two free virtual MIDI cables, LoopBe1 and LoopMIDI.

The signal flow to filter live MIDI data is -

Controller > MIDI track 1 with input echo enabled and MIDI Event Filter in FX Rack > Synth instrument or MIDI track

• Like 1

I'm using LoopMIDI in combination with MIDIox for years...

So I'm quiet familiar with it ☯️

Another workaround is to create a drummap and sort out desired notes, but I don't want to edit my

synth in the pianoroll view as a drummap.

Too bad, it is not possible to click-off individual notes in the pianoroll piano. ⁉️

44 minutes ago, abacab said:

Can you configure a MIDI keyboard performance split in your controller? That way you could only send the desired keys per channel from the external source.

My controller sends MIDI by two layers

1.  is for keys and wheeels and 8 knobs

2. is for faders, pan, pads and buttons

and has also the ability to split the keys

cme vx   01.PNG

CME VX  U-Ctrl-x.png

Edited by Astra-Ios

13 minutes ago, Astra-Ios said:

My controller sends MIDI by two layers

1.  is for keys and wheeels and 8 knobs

2. is for faders, pan, pads and buttons

and has also the ability to split the keys

That last part you listed is what I was referring to. I don't have that controller, so I'm just guessing out loud about your options.

I have a M-Audio Axiom 49 controller that allows the keys to be split  into  4 zones, with each zone  assigned to any MIDI channel (1-16), so each zone is able to transmit on a different MIDI channel. Then the zone key ranges can then be set for each  zone (hi key: low key).

It is also possible to set the octave and/or transposition of each zone. So for example it is possible to play four different instruments from these zones, in any selected octave.

Your mileage may vary, depending on the controller being used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Variorum said:

You might want to try Track Doorman from tencrazy.com. It seems to do exactly what you're looking for... and it's free :)

Can't hurt to try it. 

Wow!!! I'm blown away - What an answer 😍 Thx a lot - I've never stumbled over this Incredible website

Track Doorman

Oyvind Strandem asked on the SONAR/MFX forum: "Hi, I'm trying to use my laptop running sonar to control several softsynths at the same time, but I'm having trouble specifying the keyranges for the different synths so I can control them all from a single midikeyboard. I tried using the CakewalkFx Midi Event filter to single out the keyranges i wanted the synth to respond to, but it wouldnt work on realtime input, only recorded mididata. Does anyone know about some kind of keyrangefilter that responds to realtime midi input? Or does anyone know how to make one?"

Well, I don't know of one (and it's a pity that the Cake plug doesn't do this), but I can sure as heck make one...

TenCrazy.com MFX Track Doorman in one tough cookie!  He only lets notes into his club if they meet strict requirements!

Edited by Astra-Ios

Track Doorman (and any of the MIDI MFX plugins) won't prevent notes from showing up when you record.  CbB/SONAR doesn't have a pre-record filter.  It will prevent the note from passing to the synth though.  It can also be applied to a clip after the clip is recorded and will remove the notes that way (select the clip and use the menu item Process->Apply Effect->MIDI Effects).  So you can just put it on the track and leave it there, those notes outside the range won't ever be played, then when you want to clean up clip you can apply it directly.

• Like 1

I'm not that much into signal flow and special technical events.

For all to see what I mean, I created a CbB drum map in a project and now I have what I was asking for - but in the pianoroll view the left virtual keyboard is goodbye  and the  appearence of the notes are thinner (what I really don't like)

I guess, would just take a little effort for the programmers to transfer this option (solo/mute) into the regular pianoroll view and off we go 😂

But as we all know, this will never happen *geee189202458_DrumMap.PNG.3decf68518eb9a90e9ca4656616620c1.PNG

Edited by Astra-Ios

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Track Doorman (and any of the MIDI MFX plugins) won't prevent notes from showing up when you record.  CbB/SONAR doesn't have a pre-record filter.  It will prevent the note from passing to the synth though.  It can also be applied to a clip after the clip is recorded and will remove the notes that way (select the clip and use the menu item Process->Apply Effect->MIDI Effects).  So you can just put it on the track and leave it there, those notes outside the range won't ever be played, then when you want to clean up clip you can apply it directly.

thank you for your Input - that is interessting 🤓

Ghhh sh*t! It doesn't...

You can show up the piano roll view with virtual left keyboard, you can even draw notes in it, but it doesn't react at all 😩

Guess I have defenetly decide between using a drum-map or not

Such a biest of a program… 😈

Edited by Astra-Ios