God’s Gonna Cut You Down (cover)

John Bradley

A recent project – and it comes complete with a music video.

The Johnny Cash version of the song has a video that was put together by a bunch of ticket-taking celebs sometime after his death. Let’s just say I doubt their sincerity vis-a-vis the message of the song.

That, and the JC version (which is also a cover, btw) didn’t have nearly enough guitar for my tastes. This one has a swampy Texas blues ‘thing’, at least to my mind.

I did the music, production, and put the video together. Friend of mine did the vocals, and a lovely community of like-minded folks contributed the video clips and stills used in the vid. Also, a more talented guitarist than I provided the first solo.

Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

The Johnny Cash version, recorded in 2003 right before his death,  is de-facto the version of the song. Sort of like how once he recorded Hurt, (and whomever made that killer video for it), it was his song now. Sorry Trent, but you know, it's Johnny Freakin' Cash.

Anyway, both Marilyn Manson and myself were taking JC's version of the song as a starting point. 

But the song was written in 1946, and first recorded in 1947 with a very different feel. Good stuff, even if not really in tune with modern musical tastes.