Plugin Alliance Kills off Forever 29 plan for new users (not a deal)

Brian Walton

Expected this to happen

PA announces important changes to the FOREVER 29 plan. 

The FOREVER 29 offer will run out, effective August 15. So if you want to join the exclusive F29 community, you still have a few days left. We will honor all active plans going forward! So if you are subscribed already, or if you sign up before August 15, there won't be any changes for you!

FOREVER 29 – The Details: 

F29 is a subscription plan that gives you 1 perpetual (aka "forever") plugin license every month, at just $29.99/mo + $1 per plugin.
Pick ANY plugin once a month!

We will not accept new subscribers for the FOREVER 29 plan after August 15.

But, if you are already subscribed to FOREVER 29, we will honor your subscription and will continue to send you monthly $1 codes, as long as you don't cancel.

The same is true, if you sign up now before August 15. So hurry, if you want to join! Last call..!

If you cancel after August 15, 2022, you won't be able to re-subscribe to FOREVER 29.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Disappointing, but not surprising. The Forever29 plan screws up their entire marketing plan of "Hey, look at these amazing sale prices" when those of us that know about the Forever29 plan say, "That's ridiculous, every plugin they sell is only worth $30.99 and here's why."

That said, the discontinuation of the Forever29 "subscription" and their change to the $25 loyalty voucher requiring a minimum purchase of $75 means that I'll be purchasing far fewer plugins from Plugin Alliance going forward.

• Like 8

I'd be disappointed if they killed the plan without a warning, as they did before for another plan that I don't even remember the name now.

We have a week to think about subscribing to the plan before it goes.

Maybe I'll sign it as, even getting 1 plugin per month for the reasonable price of $31, I'll probably never get all of them.

Edited by Sergio

17 minutes ago, wyley said:

Disappointing, but not surprising. The Forever29 plan screws up their entire marketing plan of "Hey, look at these amazing sale prices" when those of us that know about the Forever29 plan say, "That's ridiculous, every plugin they sell is only worth $30.99 and here's why."

That said, the discontinuation of the Forever29 "subscription" and their change to the $25 loyalty voucher requiring a minimum purchase of $75 means that I'll be purchasing far fewer plugins from Plugin Alliance going forward.

yep, even the $75 voucher with $125 spend means stars have to align to make it worth while.

Disappointing as I'm curious about a couple of the upcoming releases (Amek Console and Amek EQ250), but no idea on the release dates or if it would be worth the $31.  

I've been signed up. And will remain until they stop introducing nifty new things.

This month I got NEOLD U17.
Next month I plan on getting SBC.

After that, my plan is to acquire the 4 Ampeg models ($31 x 4 = $124) as opposed to my discounted price for the three Ampeg models from UAD is $232.

Beyond that, who can say.

Edited by Bapu

48 minutes ago, Sergio said:

I'd be disappointed if they killed the plan without a warning, as they did before for another plan that I don't even remember the name now.

We have a week to think about subscribing to the plan before it goes.

Maybe I'll sign it as, even getting 1 plugin per month for the reasonable price of $31, I'll probably never get all of them.

It equals a subscription to 372$ a year for getting 12 plugins. At that price, it’s better to get their subscription to use all their plugins all year long, then get a cashback voucher to buy some of them. Don’t count me on either of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

It equals a subscription to 372$ a year for getting 12 plugins. At that price, it’s better to get their subscription to use all their plugins all year long, then get a cashback voucher to buy some of them. Don’t count me on either of them.

The F29 IMO is a way better deal than having the cashback because you can choose any plugin you want without having to wait for a sale that include all the interesting ones (as you need to use the cashback all at once). You just have to be patient to get one per month.

The "use all their plugins" option does not interest me because (a) I already have most of them and  don't need a subscription for that and (b) I don't like the idea of using a plugin that I do not own in a production. Maybe I'm silly. YMMV.

Edith says: but you never "own" a plugin my silly boy. I know that but... anyway... you got the point.

Edited by Sergio
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

2 minutes ago, Sergio said:

The F29 IMO is a way better deal than having the cashback because you can choose any plugin you want without having to wait for a sale that include all the interesting ones (as you need to use the cashback all at once). You just have to be patient to get one per month.

The "use all their plugins" option does not interests me because (a) I already have most of them and  don't need a subscription for it and (b) I don't like the idea to use a plugin that I do not own in a production. Maybe I'm silly. YMMV.

For my tastebuds ATM, Sergio has the right of it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Carlos Iglesias said:

They create a subscription and after a few months they eliminate it. These people are not serious.

The idea is to have a regular income. Maybe some people are subscribing to get a specific plugin and cancelling soon after. PA does not have a good record in creating promos that end up being a good deal for them in the long run.

PS: Too many corrections. Sorry for my bad English.

Edited by Sergio
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wyley said:

Never got on board. Thankfully PA (unlike PB) sells virtually nothing I want. Bought Tantra and Thorn, but most of what they seem to offer are emulations of classic analog gear. Maybe they sound great, but I don’t get the appeal of knob-based EQs with fixed frequencies, etc. when things like Fabfilter Pro Q 3 exist. 

Then again, I also don’t get the appeal of control surfaces, either, so it’s probably a personal shortcoming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergio said:

The "use all their plugins" option does not interest me because (a) I already have most of them and  don't need a subscription for that and (b) I don't like the idea of using a plugin that I do not own in a production. Maybe I'm silly. YMMV.

Edith says: but you never "own" a plugin my silly boy. I know that but... anyway... you got the point.

I agree with you when we could subscribe and cancel PAForever29 at will. Now, having to stay subscribed forever at 29$ a month to get the 1$ voucher every month is expensive.

40 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

Maybe they sound great, but I don’t get the appeal of knob-based EQs with fixed frequencies, etc. when things like Fabfilter Pro Q 3 exist. 

There's a slight difference though - Pro Q3 (which indeed is excellent) is a more clean/transparent EQ, whereas the PA models introduce some colouration to the sound. Both approaches are equally valid; it just depends on the end result that you want. A typical approach might be to use the colouring EQs on individual tracks, but then to use the cleaner EQ on a bus.

5 hours ago, Bapu said:

I've been signed up. And will remain until they stop introducing nifty new things.

This month I got NEOLD U17.
Next month I plan on getting SBC.

After that, my plan is to acquire the 4 Ampeg models ($31 x 4 = $124) as opposed to my discounted price for the three Ampeg models from UAD is $232.

Beyond that, who can say.

Get in and get 'em now, I just got in and got Knif Audio Soma, NEOLD U17, NEOLD Warble, and Lindell Audio SBC, Going to cancel 3 subscriptions and just keep 1,

But I might get another Sub today, depending on how it goes with Lindell Audio 902 De-Esser. If so I'll cancell that 1 as well. I only want to keep 1 Sub while it lasts.

Then anything else I want to purchase from PA hasn't been released yet, so 1 Sub should be enough

Nothing new with this announcement, no surprises.

Some of us talked on this forum a few weeks/months ago that PA was making a misstep with this marketing campaign.

And the same when we talk about IKM for example

PA has seen their campaign do poorly and they are pivoting. I like to see that a company is able to investigate the results, make self-criticism and change to be better and useful for users... however, we knew that this was going to happen.

2 hours ago, Niky Serrano said:

Nothing new with this announcement, no surprises.

Some of us talked on this forum a few weeks/months ago that PA was making a misstep with this marketing campaign.

And the same when we talk about IKM for example

PA has seen their campaign do poorly and they are pivoting. I like to see that a company is able to investigate the results, make self-criticism and change to be better and useful for users... however, we knew that this was going to happen.

Since they haven't dropped the min voucher spend back down yet.   I really do wonder if they investigated the results in the right area.  

On the surface it seems like they saw sales drop but are pointing at potentially the wrong places.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Since they haven't dropped the min voucher spend back down yet.   I really do wonder if they investigated the results in the right area.  

On the surface it seems like they saw sales drop but are pointing at potentially the wrong places.

I think they might be pointing at one of the good places. I felt no hurry anymore to buy any of their plugins since that subscription is available and barely bought anything since then because of that.