M-Audio Oxygen 49 (not PRO)

Yves Chaput

Hello,

I've been searching the web high and low to find a proper way to hook up this keyboard as a controller to Cakewalk.
I'm new to this and this is getting me very frustrated.
It should be quite simple but it seems to be one of the most complicated thing to do.

Anyone has a step by step guide to do this?

Thanks.

I have the Oxygen 61 version. Just plug it into a USB2 socket, turn it on and then start CbB, in that order.

As it is class compliant you do not need any drivers for it. Windows will take care of that. It should now show up in Preferences/Midi Devices. Check the boxes to select it as input and output, Apply and you’re good to go.

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes
The Grammar Police pounced

@Jeremy Oakes;

That works for playing the keyboard and is as you said, easy to setup.

@Yves Chaput:

Is that what you are asking or are you looking at getting the sliders, knobs, buttons, to control Cakewalk as a control surface?

If so you may want to start here: Connect a MIDI Control Surface

I have done it for my Oxygen Pro 61, but it is different than yours.

Edited by Jacques Boileau

@Jeremy Oakes

Thanks but as @Jacques Boileau said, that's only for playing the keyboard. It doesn't work if you want to use the keyboard as a controller to control the DAW.

@Jacques Boileau

Yes! That's exactly what I'd like to do.
Unfortunately, just about all info I can find are for either the PRO version or the MK4 of the "non-pro" version.
There are major changes in the way the buttons are assigned in the MKV vs the MK4 and I didn't, yet, find the equivalent for the MKV.
I was hoping to find a step by step tutorial on how to do this as I'm new to this type of connectivity.
I had limited success following the "Setting up Cakewalk" portion of this Reddit thread, https://www.reddit.com/r/Cakewalk/comments/mx9d16/connecting_maudio_oxygen_pro_midi_controller_25/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I guess I'll have to experiment more and try to figure it out.
But it's a shame that I have to go thru those hoops and loops to try to figure out how to set it up.
It should be a much easier process. I don't know who'S fault it is, Cakewalk for not being compliant or M-Audio for the same reason.

Anyways, MERCI for the link and the reply.

This is a more complicated route but may help you out. It uses an extension to what Cakewalk offers. It is more powerful but less user friendly. I used it for my Oxygen Pro.

M-Audio Oxygen 61 3rd (blue)

But I hear you when you say it should be simpler, but alas it really isn't. 😞 I spent quite a bit of time getting my Oxygen Pro working as I wanted it and I am a software developer.

Bonne chance!

1 hour ago, Yves Chaput said:

But it's a shame that I have to go thru those hoops and loops to try to figure out how to set it up.
It should be a much easier process. I don't know who's fault it is, Cakewalk for not being compliant or M-Audio for the same reason.

...or may be user can read the documentation (for the device and for the DAW).

Reading the first, you can find how to switch DAW modes on MKV. Set it to Mackie 1 ("NC1"). Also you can notice you have to use "MIDIIN2 (Oxigen 49 MKV)" as DAW control input (and since your device has no feedback, probably start with output unassigned).

From the second, you can find how to add some Control Surface (https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=ExternalDevices.03.html), and since your device imitate Mackie, you can choose "Mackie Control" here (do you remember what to set as input for it?).

Also in Cakewalk documentation you can find https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.003.html and in fact you have to set "Disable handshake" (if not already set).

After that, most DAW operations should work as described in M-Audio documentation.

If you buy a e-guitar, you also have to plug it into "correct input" and set correct "parameters" to make it sound "right". Probably you will not write "it should be a much easier process..." is this case 🙄 What is "correct input" and what are "correct parameters"? Obviously it depends from what you want. With (some) surfaces that is the same, there is no single "correct socket" nor "correct parameters".   General purpose surfaces like yours are flexible.

-----

But may be something is not working yet... From the same sources, you can find that changing mode on keyboard to Mackie 2 ("NC2") will change knobs "resolution" while setting "Universal" or "Cubase" mode in Mackie Control plug-in can change the function of some buttons/knobs.

-----

And  in case you don't like what M-Audio has considered to control in DAWs, you may consider "rolling your own". Yes, that takes more time. But that is possible. You will need to learn how to configure MKV to send what you want (for that you have to find what you want it sends) and then configure the reaction on all controls.

• 2 weeks later...

@azslow3

Thanks for your inputs. It actually help me managed to make it work.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:52 PM, azslow3 said:

...or may be user can read the documentation (for the device and for the DAW).

The thing though, for a novice, the information provided are quite plentiful and confusing.
There are so many ways to setup a controller, depending on the brand, the type and what you want to control, that it gets very confusing fast.

Anyways, thanks again for your help.

One last thing:

On 8/8/2022 at 12:52 PM, azslow3 said:

And  in case you don't like what M-Audio has considered to control in DAWs, you may consider "rolling your own". Yes, that takes more time. But that is possible. You will need to learn how to configure MKV to send what you want (for that you have to find what you want it sends) and then configure the reaction on all controls.

Is that that ACT interface i need to configure to change the behavior of some of the buttons?

28 minutes ago, Yves Chaput said:

Is that that ACT interface i need to configure to change the behavior of some of the buttons?

Unfortunately Mackie plug-in is not flexible. And if you don't use it you need to start from scratch.

"ACT MIDI" has too many limitations, even for your device. If you have time, read "ACT MIDI explained"

It is possible to use ACT MIDI in parallel with Mackie-Control. But there are some conditions for that:

• Mackie Control should not react on control you use with ACT MIDI. Otherwise engaging the control will produce both operations. Taking into account Mackie Control defines something for all Mackie controls and "compatible" devices send use subset of that controls, in practice that mean you need to redefine what particular control sends
  • insert ACT MIDI as the first in the surfaces list, before Mackie Control. Otherwise messages from all controls not defined in ACT will "leak" as MIDI input.

• 4 months later...

I also have ordered the M-Audio Oxygen 49 MKV (not PRO) and I am hoping to use it with Cakewalk.  I am confused if I made the wrong choice?  I found this video on YouTube and it makes sense, I think, if any of you want to look at it and let me know what you think:  https://youtu.be/HZCxnAVSy9o

• 1 year later...

I have, I think a related issue. I have the Oxygen 49 keyboard, Sonar Platinum is my DAW. The plugins I am using Session Drummer and True Pianos Cakewalk. When I play  or record the piano, I get background drums. If I mute Session Drummer during playback the drums go away. How do I get only the piano to play without the drums in the background? In advance, Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
When inserting a synth such as Session Drummer or True Pianos, ensure that the 'Enable MIDI Output' box is unchecked.
Set all track inputs to 'None' unless it's the track you're recording /playing through.
Those are the first things I would check.

• Like 1