AudioAssault: The Crown - Guitar Amp Sim (Mesa Boogie) $5 with code - RRP $39.99

MusicMan

AudioAssault: The Crown - Guitar Amp Sim (Mesa Boogie) $5 with code - RRP $39.99

Don't let the price fool you. This punches well above it's price 🙂

Use: AAFIFTY to get it down to $5

3 Channel Californian Amp Sim
Modeled on the Mesa Boogie Triple Crown 100*

https://audioassault.mx/products/thecrown

The clean channel on this one is probably a bit nicer than some of their others. The gain channels are great too and it's got some different functionality. Instead of just clicking on the different IRs, it's more of an amp room so you can just click on the different amps as well and move the microphones too.

A great feature that all amps should have, is that all the controls are per channel, so you can configure clean different to high gain and all the bass, mid, treble etc are retained when you switch between channels 🙂

Walk through

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Web page says it's on sale for $9.99
Not seeing where I can enter the AAFIFTY code...

NM it shows up in the credit card payment option.
(where you can then pay by PayPal as well)

When you intend to pay by Paypal, you are in a first step directed to the Paypal page, then you are re-directed to AA to confirm your payment. Here you can find the button "apply voucher code" near to the "confirm" button...

Edited by stony
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, stony said:

When you intend to pay by Paypal, you are in a first step directed to the Paypal page, then you are re-directed to AA to confirm your payment. Here you can find the button "apply voucher code" near to the "confirm" button...

I've gotten burned enough times by sites that immediately cash you out once you give your PayPal info that I won't go there unless I can put in the discount code upfront (or unless I've confirmed that as you mentioned I will get the opportunity later).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I've gotten burned enough times by sites that immediately cash you out once you give your PayPal info that I won't go there unless I can put in the discount code upfront (or unless I've confirmed that as you mentioned I will get the opportunity later).

That's one thing I didn't like either.

If you select credit, you can enter the coupon code, but if you go with Paypal then you authorize the payment first and then go back to review order where you can enter the code to reduce the price. It all works correctly and you only pay $5 but I don't like it working that way around. At $9.99 it's still a great deal, so I wasn't too concerned as it's not a lot of money, but I would rather they change it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MusicMan said:

That's one thing I didn't like either.

If you select credit, you can enter the coupon code, but if you go with Paypal then you authorize the payment first and then go back to review order where you can enter the code to reduce the price. It all works correctly and you only pay $5 but I don't like it working that way around. At $9.99 it's still a great deal, so I wasn't too concerned as it's not a lot of money, but I would rather they change it.

You can choose credit on the first page and on the next page where you give your information (and enter the coupon code), you can change the payment method to PayPal. At least that's how it worked for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Frankly, I am disappointed of their newer amp versions! Yes, they improved the appearance and the cabinet emulation, but the sound is now more like distorted mash. There is almost no good, clean sound anymore. If you are not in hard rock or metal, then it gets difficult to find a pleasing sound now.

E.g. they removed the (good) clean channel of Dominator. It is now distorted down to gain 0 (and I have never played on a real amp that behaves like that!). Also their distortion/overdrive effects went this way. What a shame!

25 minutes ago, marled said:

Frankly, I am disappointed of their newer amp versions! Yes, they improved the appearance and the cabinet emulation, but the sound is now more like distorted mash. There is almost no good, clean sound anymore. If you are not in hard rock or metal, then it gets difficult to find a pleasing sound now.

E.g. they removed the (good) clean channel of Dominator. It is now distorted down to gain 0 (and I have never played on a real amp that behaves like that!). Also their distortion/overdrive effects went this way. What a shame!

Ironically the only reason I picked up the Crown was I thought it could get a decent piano like clean tone with good note separation.  Never been a mesa metal tone fan overall.  

Now I haven't used it again since the demo period after I picked it up as I haven't had the time and also live in a Nembrini or PA world most of the time when I do get a few minutes.   So take it with a grain of salt.  

Overall, most of the amps they release are WAY over the top too gainy for my taste as well....but the price is good and the interface is nice and modern/resizable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marled said:

I think they definitely target hard rock and metal, but I was able to get some nice clean tones out of this one. It almost gets a nice 3D tube kind of sound.

Have you tried this one of theirs in particular?

The other huge callout is that almost all their presets are terrible and not even close to what the amps are capable of. Maybe they suit their guitars/pickups/DI but I usually flick through all their presets, hate them all and then start tweaking including trying some different cabs.

Once I've done that, they normally hold their own very well against most of the competition 🙂 

Edited by MusicMan
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MusicMan said:

I think they definitely target hard rock and metal, but I was able to get some nice clean tones out of this one. It almost gets a nice 3D tube kind of sound.

Have you tried this one of theirs in particular?

It's also clear to me that they are in hard rock and metal, but I think even in those genres are real amps used and they behave completely different! Yes, I have tried (even purchased) this one and I agree that with some tuning you get somewhat better tones.

The other huge callout is that almost all their presets are terrible and not even close to what the amps are capable of. Maybe they suit their guitars/pickups/DI but I usually flick through all their presets, hate them all and then start tweaking including trying some different cabs.

I consent absolutely!

Once I've done that, they normally hold their own very well against most of the competition 🙂 

YMMV, but I prefer the amps of Kuassa, PA and IK (though I don't like their installation/authorization).

In former times I played some authentic, real gear, several of the sought-after icons (still have one left). That's why I always compare with their sound and behavior. Also, I still prefer to use a real amp for recording, even if it's something like my Katana 50 with a direct out.