Hey Joe - JIMI HENDRIX Cover

PavlovsCat

This was my impromptu one-man jam session version of "Hey Joe." I didn't play the entire song, but as much as I felt up to at the time. Considering that until last year, I had stopped playing music for more than 20 years due to a repetitive stress injury that limits me to playing to just a few minutes at a time before pain sets in I thought I did an okay job. 

Edited by Peter Woods
Grammatical edit and attempted to fix a broken link.
  • Like 5

The link didn't work, so I popped over to your SC page to listen.

Nice cover - I like it. Some great guitar work in there too.

Splitting the vocals so wide is quite unusual - it was a little distracting. I didn't really notice the vocals popping in, but I did feel they disappeared quite quickly after each phrase; almost like there's a noise gate that's chopping the tail off with quite a fast attack. It's sounds ok, but in response to your question: if you're not doing so, I'd recommend passing the vocals through an optical compressor quite gently. Maybe add a little reverb here too to give the vocals a little tail*. Then maybe compressing the whole mix a little (again quite gently) on the master bus to help glue the elements together.

Maybe before any compression, also use an EQ and roll off the lower frequencies on the vocal - this will help to not trigger the compressors with the bass content.

Nothing wrong with how it sounds now though - well done!

*Remember that the tails of a reverb are what's heard, and that the bass of the reverb has a tendency to muddy up a mix; if you put the reverb on a separate bus, put an EQ after it to roll off some lows if things start sounding mushy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, antler said:

The link didn't work, so I popped over to your SC page to listen.

Nice cover - I like it. Some great guitar work in there too.

Splitting the vocals so wide is quite unusual - it was a little distracting. I didn't really notice the vocals popping in, but I did feel they disappeared quite quickly after each phrase; almost like there's a noise gate that's chopping the tail off with quite a fast attack. It's sounds ok, but in response to your question: if you're not doing so, I'd recommend passing the vocals through an optical compressor quite gently. Maybe add a little reverb here too to give the vocals a little tail*. Then maybe compressing the whole mix a little (again quite gently) on the master bus to help glue the elements together.

Maybe before any compression, also use an EQ and roll off the lower frequencies on the vocal - this will help to not trigger the compressors with the bass content.

Nothing wrong with how it sounds now though - well done!

*Remember that the tails of a reverb are what's heard, and that the bass of the reverb has a tendency to muddy up a mix; if you put the reverb on a separate bus, put an EQ after it to roll off some lows if things start sounding mushy.

Thanks for the kind words and helpful advice. I'm going to put it to use this weekend. BTW, the guitars and bass are Orange Tree Samples libraries played from my midi keyboard in real-time. 

I keep replacing the original file with an updated file and the forum has issues finding it after the original is replaced for some reason. Here's the working link. I changed some things on the vocal effects and mix and added in some reverse guitar parts near the end of the song that I thought helped the vibe I was going for. This was all really just a one-man jam session. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

I know the Haas effect on the vocal was intentional, but just one thing to keep in mind: the 'important' elements in a mix (e.g. kick, bass, etc) are usually centred for two reasons:

• Mono compatibility
  • They will automatically be louder in stereo because you have two speakers playing the centre signal in phase

I think the vocals could do with being brought up a bit more in the mix, but otherwise it's sounding great. The guitars sound great too - glad I picked up a few in the OTS group buy a little earlier 😁

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 3:10 PM, bdickens said:

That was a very cool and very unique interpretation. Really relaxed and low-key in spite of the nature of the lyrics. And when it cut down to just a piano bit at the very end that was awesome.

Wow, thanks so much.

Edited by PavlovsCat

• 1 month later...

I thought that was a terrific effort, vocals sound cool also. The sampled  guitar was trippy.

I won't comment on the recording/mixing as I am only an amateur but sounds good to me😎

I did a cover a while back of Hey Joe I'm just a guitar player but added some vocal that I sung using a weird android phone app that made me sound a bit like Bowie🤣

https://k00.fr/20b6sq9c 

Edited by ℜ𝔦𝔣𝔣 ℜ𝔦𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔯𝔡𝔰 -·=»‡
Forgot link
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ℜ𝔦𝔣𝔣 ℜ𝔦𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔯𝔡𝔰 -·=»‡ said:

I thought that was a terrific effort, vocals sound cool also. The sampled  guitar was trippy.

I won't comment on the recording/mixing as I am only an amateur but sounds good to me😎

I did a cover a while back of Hey Joe I'm just a guitar player but added some vocal that I sung using a weird android phone app that made me sound a bit like Bowie🤣

https://k00.fr/20b6sq9c 

Wow, I love that guitar tone and playing! Yeah, the mix is pretty trippy, but the guitar playing and tone sounds awesome! I really love it. Yeah, that puts my little version to shame. I want to come over to your house to jam! Haha. Except with my tendonitis, I could only play for one tune and I'd need to stop for an hour before doing another! 

Also, "I'm just a guitar player"? Well, as you can tell, I'm a guitarist wannabe! An old drummer that plays the keys also that attempts to pretend he's a guitarist, but very poorly. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Wow, I love that guitar tone and playing! Yeah, the mix is pretty trippy, but the guitar playing and tone sounds awesome! I really love it. Yeah, that puts my little version to shame. I want to come over to your house to jam! Haha. Except with my tendonitis, I could only play for one tune and I'd need to stop for an hour before doing another! 

Also, "I'm just a guitar player"? Well, as you can tell, I'm a guitarist wannabe! An old drummer that plays the keys also that attempts to pretend he's a guitarist, but very poorly. 

Cheers for listening & kind words. Tendonitis is a bugger & anti inflammatory drugs can cause even more issues for your body!

My mix's are always trippy I like psychedelic tracks😵 And usually go OTT in  using way to much delay, bit of a fan of the Valhalla Supermassive plugin.

Keep on rockin'

• Like 1

Peter , Nice cover! Excellent job with the guitars , I especially liked the organ when it came in. I'd probably paste it in another time or two somewhere with different panning. I Really liked the laid back feel of the vocals early in the song. Enjoyed it ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Wow! Now that's a horse of a different colour! I am impressed!

t

I actually did a demo for Orange Tree Samples for their newly released Evolution Vintage Violin Bass (a sampled Hofner 500/1 bass)  that should be available next week. I'll share it here when it's officially out. My struggle is that, having tendonitis that stopped me from playing professionally -- or even play as a hobbyist -- 23 years ago and only starting to play again last year makes it tough to accept that I can't play like I once could. Consequently, when I listened back to this cover, it sounds terrible and I'm grateful for everyone for the kind comments, but listening back, I wish I didn't even share it. I put a lot more time into the demo I did for Orange Tree Samples. It's a medley that starts out with me playing a chord progression from McCartney's "Dear Boy" with a guitar solo over it and then goes into a very McCartney-esque song I wrote when I was around 13 years old. Back when I wrote it, I thought the song sounded too much like McCartney's style, so I shelved it, but after creating 4 demos, one that was green-lighted and almost finished, I started getting bored with what that demo song I was about to complete and started jamming on the McCartney chords before going into my old song and it just seemed a lot better than my other demo songs and much better than the job I did on "Hey Joe."

All of that said, I greatly appreciate how encouraging people here have been and try to do the same for others. It's just that trying to play again can be part joy, part frustration. But I am at least getting better as I go along. 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1