Help! Midi newbie!!!

C Wilson

Hi all - I have recorded before using different DAWs but always with real instruments or audio loops. I've decided to enter the Spitfire Audio comp to try using Midi instruments and all was working fine until today. Here's the issue: I created a new instrument track using the Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra. In the piano roll, I inserted my note info and used sound on sound to build up the different instruments within the one track. Everything worked fine and I was able to use the automation to set some volume changes to the track. Then, I created another new track to use a different Spitfire Audio instrument - same thing; everything working really well. During the many playbacks I began altering the automated volumes of all tracks to suit, and somewhere along the line, the first Midi track with the Orchestra stopped playing! All the Midi notes are still there and the volume automation still seems to be doing something(slider on console moving), but no sound from that track. Everything 'appears' to be set the same as it was, and the same as the second Midi track. I did drag the midi tracks a little to adjust their position on the timeline but other than that, am unaware if anything else has changed. I'm doing all of this on a laptop with quite a sensitive track pad, so maybe I've clicked something without knowing it. Much head scratching and frustration now! Any advice greatly appreciated - screen shot attached. Thanks.

Screen.png

I don't personally operate with simple instrument tracks. But - I would suggest that you ( bounce to clips)  the non operating midi track, Control shift to copy just the midi to a new track and try to direct the new track to a new instance of your instrument. There maybe an assignment error you made and this will give you a fresh instrument instance to check against. You can always archive your initial track to have for learning purposes if you figure out what might have happened.

Thanks RBH. I went ahead and copied all the Midi note info to a new instrument track and it's working again perfectly. No idea what happened for it to stop in the first place, but at least I didn't lose anything! Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Examigan said:

how to change the Control bar to look like that.  (?)

Right-click in an empty area at the top so you can select which modules you want. You can also drag them around to place them where you want in the control bar.

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

Right-click in an empty area at the top so you can select which modules you want. You can also drag them around to place them where you want in the control bar.

I meant how to get it to look like that 2-tone type of coloring. 

I only have two themes to choose from, and neither of them makes it look like that.

Cakewalk's control bar on my PC looks like this:

control bar.jpg

Edited by Examigan