Cold in here without Larry

Fleer

5 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Because some woke SJW who lives in his mother's basement and spends all his time trolling the internet inventing racism where it doesn't exist created an account for the sole purpose of jumping in with no knowledge or context to white knight on behalf of imaginary people who neither asked for, nor need, his help against people who did nothing to said imaginary people....

Well apparently I missed that while sleeping...

56 minutes ago, husker said:

You missed the couple of hours of excitement on it.  Several posts were deleted (and needed to be deleted), and one user was banned (and needed to be banned).  The thread should have been locked.

Hahaha! Just to be clear that isn't a reference to my posts. I inadvertently overshared, but I was well intentioned. There were two posts by two users that were outright malicious that I saw that were deleted hours later. But, like everyone else, I am wondering why the thread was locked -- maybe someone complained it doesn't belong in the deals forum?  I was looking forward to Larry seeing it upon his return (he still hasn't opened my Facebook message -- we're not connected, so it's easy to miss messages like that, so I'm not taking it personally, Larry and I always got along very well and regularly had very encouraging PMs on this forum, and hopefully will again in the near future).

I think I understand why Larry went away and I hope he's just taking a break from the forum for a bit and will return, regardless if he still posts deals like he once did. He invested a lot of time and energy here and I don't think it's surprising that he got a bit burnt out and could use a break. 

Edited by PavolvsCat
  • Like 2

Despite our major differences in certain matters, I consider Larry a stand-up guy.

Around the time that various software companies were issuing statements about solidarity with certain social movements and multiple people on this forum were spitting nails and swearing off the developers in question, I broke my own rules and weighed in on it pretty strongly.

Larry never gave any sign of holding it against me. The things we have in common are more important than our differences.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, husker said:

You missed the couple of hours of excitement on it.  Several posts were deleted (and needed to be deleted), and one user was banned (and needed to be banned).  The thread should have been locked.

I didn't think that has happened before.

48 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Any idea why he bailed? His own business, of course. I'm just curious.

I'm just guessing that a couple of threads on July 24th may have contributed to his "vacation".

He got unfairly trolled on a couple of posts. The first one about Studio One getting shafted, where he got accused of "click-baiting", and another about some plugin by Wusik where he got accused of "promoting" a company's products that he knew were not reliable.

I think he just decided that he needed a break.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I didn't think that has happened before.

Usually it's just spammers and one-time trolls that get banned and posts deleted. The rest of the time regular users that cross the lines may get warned, or a thread can be suddenly locked.

12 minutes ago, abacab said:

Usually it's just spammers and one-time trolls that get banned and posts deleted. The rest of the time regular users that cross the lines may get warned, or a thread can be suddenly locked.

In this case the replies that I saw were not offensive. At worst, they quoted either too much or inappropriately reveal too much about the issue which had been handled respectfully (in my opinion) by regular forum contributors prior to the troll.   I will admit that my reply was far more assertive that I usually am:

I don't do Facebook or Twitter. I categorically resent your totally inappropriate and off-base assertion that anyone who contributes to the forum (or even this thread) is a dreg of society.

Mine was the first reply. I tried to be very judicious about what I references I chose.  I was very offended by the post for several reasons. In retrospect I should have just asked for the post to be removed in hopes that it would be gone before anyone else saw it and replied.

14 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Mine was the first reply. I tried to be very judicious about what I references I chose.  I was very offended by the post for several reasons. In retrospect I should have just asked for the post to be removed in hopes that it would be gone before anyone else saw it and replied.

Are you aware that you can edit your own posts here up to and including deleting all the previously written text and either leaving the post empty or just type the word delete, removed etc.?

• Like 1

• scook locked this topic