3 Home Studio Rules For 2019 - RecordingRevolution.com

Øyvind Skald

I liked the sentiment...drank the cool aid...signed up and watched the (free) WEBINAR for "5 Recording & Mixing Hacks to Create a Radio-Worthy Song". 

Didn't expect much and no surprise!

Basic Recording 101 content, with the sales pitch to buy $400 of 'courses"

The 'raw' tracks presented seemed Radio-Worthy as is and the webinar added a touch of verb and compression to "shine 'em up"

Normally, with webinars, the comment fields are live and everyone can see the comments and activity...no so here....I though this was odd....

I'm not faulting the business model......good luck.....just not buying.

Many thanks to the contributors on this forum and other forums in providing their experience and contributing their time to help their fellow musicians!  

Seriously, interested in some comments from you guys on these business models and promo sites.

Play better?

Write better?

Record better?

"secrets"?

Lesson learned.... I'll keep checking in here.

10 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

One should be stay off of forums.  It relates to the others.

But we need help, guidance and inspiration, from forums like this too. Maybe if you go to the forum instead of making songs and working, it is bad. But you can’t work on mixing for 12 hours straight. Your ears wont work after an hour, so you need breaks. This forums is excellent for taking breaks while mixing and working with music.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:28 AM, mcmd said:

I liked the sentiment...drank the cool aid...signed up and watched the (free) WEBINAR for "5 Recording & Mixing Hacks to Create a Radio-Worthy Song". 

Didn't expect much and no surprise!

Basic Recording 101 content, with the sales pitch to buy $400 of 'courses"

The 'raw' tracks presented seemed Radio-Worthy as is and the webinar added a touch of verb and compression to "shine 'em up"

Normally, with webinars, the comment fields are live and everyone can see the comments and activity...no so here....I though this was odd....

I'm not faulting the business model......good luck.....just not buying.

Many thanks to the contributors on this forum and other forums in providing their experience and contributing their time to help their fellow musicians!  

Seriously, interested in some comments from you guys on these business models and promo sites.

Play better?

Write better?

Record better?

"secrets"?

Lesson learned.... I'll keep checking in here.

Play better:

Play better is always a challenge. I am not as good as I want to, and I am not as good as I should. I envy people that are better than me, in many ways. But you cannot wait till you are at “this” level to start making music. Also, the best soloes for guitar, for instance, is not the most technical and hard to play. It goes more on the melodic/feeling/fitting to the song thing.

Write better:

The sad thing here is that the most technical music most people don’t like. They want familiar music. But writing isn’t about you showing off your writing abilities most of the time. Its really making the song your audience want to hear.

Record better:

Record better is always learning from mistakes. If you don’t see mistakes in your old tracks maybe you need to listen to what other on this forum and such can say about them.

All this is humbling. We show of our baby to the world, and the world is ether ignoring it or hating it.

Remember Rebecca Black? Her first song and people compared her to pro artists. My first song was not as good as hers. That doesn’t say anything about her song or mine. But all about that the world chose someone to hate. If it is your song, then…

I’m happy there is forums like this were we have a form of filter. If people here hate the song, then it is ok to not release it and work on it/ toss it and start over.

Been following Graham for a while. The best thing I like about his approach is that it is back to basics. Use the plugins you have. That $500 plugin is not going to make a lousy recording sound great. However, spending time to learn to play better or sing on key will likely have a dramatic improvement on your recordings. He does get some push-back because of that, on occasion. But overall, seems to be more on target.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mandolin Picker said:

Been following Graham for a while. The best thing I like about his approach is that it is back to basics. Use the plugins you have. That $500 plugin is not going to make a lousy recording sound great. However, spending time to learn to play better or sing on key will likely have a dramatic improvement on your recordings. He does get some push-back because of that, on occasion. But overall, seems to be more on target.

Ken Tampling talking about the singers of the 80s, and he was one of them, how they could track 100 to 200 versions of the vocal to choose the best of them all. Singing much without proper technique will kill your voice. Guess they did the same with the rest. I think I remember a Norwegian band worked a week to get the bass perfect for one track (don’t remember the band or tune).

So, have we been lazy with all this tech?

4 hours ago, ØSkald said:

So, have we been lazy with all this tech?

In some ways, maybe. Perhaps its more just trying to take a shortcut to get the same results. Folks who make a living at music usually can afford the time to practice and to learn and apply the right techniques. Others of us, perhaps working at a regular job, may be able to get a little bit of time to practice a couple of days a week, if we are lucky. Recording, that may only be at night when everyone is asleep (as it is the only quiet time in the house) and since I have to get up early the next morning to go to work, I get only one or two takes in. The tech provides a short cut that helps me get to that 'on tune' sound. But the tech can only go so far.

In my case, I'm now retired, and while I have the time nothing will improve this old voice of mine. So even if technology can put it on key (I consistently sing slightly flat no matter what I try), its never going to sound good.

• Like 1