BBC Symphony Orchestra crashing Cakewalk

hhal9000

I'm having problems again with the free BBC Symphony plugin from spitfire which keeps crashing Cakewalk when I attempt to create a track with it.This used to happen a few versions of Cakewalk back, then stopped and is now re-occuring.This never happens with my other DAWs so looks like a Cakewalk problem. The usual fix is to ''repair'' the BBC Symphony Plugin and start up Cakewalk a few times.Sometimes I have to re-start the PC. Rather anoying. Do others have this problem and is it a known issue with Cakewalk?

58 minutes ago, hhal9000 said:

I'm having problems again with the free BBC Symphony plugin from spitfire which keeps crashing Cakewalk when I attempt to create a track with it.This used to happen a few versions of Cakewalk back, then stopped and is now re-occuring.This never happens with my other DAWs so looks like a Cakewalk problem. The usual fix is to ''repair'' the BBC Symphony Plugin and start up Cakewalk a few times.Sometimes I have to re-start the PC. Rather anoying. Do others have this problem and is it a known issue with Cakewalk?

BBC Symphony Discover (as well as Core) works fine here on my PC configured as per my signature.

Can we please have your PC specs.

Edited by Promidi
  • Great Idea 1

My PC specs are: Processor:   Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           W3540  @ 2.93GHz   2.93 GH

RAM: 8GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Windows 10 profesional

What about audio interface?  Installed latest drivers for all hardware (including Nvidia - latest Studio Drivers are version 516.93).

What driver mode (should be using native ASIO , not ASIO4ALL)?  What sample rate, bit depth and buffer size are you using.

....and yes, ram is a bit slim.  Also, your CPU (released Q1'09) is even older than mine.

Audio interface? i just have a Keystation Mini 32 MK3 as my midi keyboard and my Driver mode is WASAPI Shared.

Yes my specs are a bit old now.Had the PC a while.Tried to keep it going with a new Graphics card (the NVidia) and more recently an SSD drive which is rappidly filling up since I started all this!

On 8/3/2022 at 4:35 PM, hhal9000 said:

I have had this issue before and like you it didn't happen in other DAWs.. are you using vst3 for the BBC? I have complete stopped using vst3 in Cakewalk and have been using the vst2 unless the plug only uses vst3's and I haven't had any issues since I made this change... Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

Hi

I've come across a similar problem on my config. What I've noticed is:

• VST3 usually crashes when loading BBC Symphony Orchestra. One time it loaded but didn't produce any sound
  • VST2 loads properly and works fine
  • If I load the VST2, then remove it, then add the VST3 back to the same project, the VST3 loads and works fine