Noob: Visualize spectrum of live input

HenrikS

Question

Folks,

Noob question:

Is there a way to see the spectrum and potentially EQ a live signal coming in via USB Audio interface - before recording?

I was only able to do both on an already recorded track.

Thx a lot!

Henrik

9 answers to this question

19 hours ago, HenrikS said:

Is there a way to see the spectrum and potentially EQ a live signal coming in via USB Audio interface - before recording?

The DAW always records the signal at the track input.

When the input is set to the audio interface, this means the recording occurs before any plug-ins.

In order to record a signal affected by plug-ins, the plug-ins must be placed before the track input.

To record plug-ins on a live signal, place the plug-ins in the track with the input set to the audio interface then set the track output to an aux track.

Record both tracks.

This results in the original audio recording in the track with the input set to the audio interface and the original signal + plug-ins in the aux track.

While recording both tracks is not absolutely necessary, it can be really handy if aux track recording is unsatisfactory.

• Thanks 1

Henrik , If you just want to see the EQ curve of an instrument you are fixing to record - Arm your track and turn the input echo on. Open the pro channel for the track you are using. Use the flyout button (>>) on the EQ module to extend it onto your main screen. It will become quite large and useable. Play your instrument and it will show you input in real time without actually having to record it. You can use the "pin" looking icon to lock the EQ module in place. If you want to play along with your other tracks , when you press "play" the module will disappear unless pinned .      mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You beat me to it I was going to say insert Voxingo Span or a similar spectral analyzer in the effects bin.  but the Pro Channel Eq is a great idea as it's built in. As said when ever you need to hear or see any effects while tracking you have to always turn on input echo. You will here a small delay caused by your systems latency. If that bothers you just turn down the tracks fader and use your interfaces direct monitoring system. This is of course for what your doing which is just Looking at a Plug in. If your wishing to hear any effects then the fader needs to be up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, rsinger said:

Yes, but why? Do you want to use it live, or record the processed signal?

I was trying to identify some parts of the spectrum that was bugging me in a live situation where feedback frequently happened. That is: (ab)using cakewalk as a live spectrum analyzer. Then trying to fix it in the analog mixer.

Thx to all for taking your time to answer!

ah. ebay - feedback destroyer pro. 🙂 should be reasonable price (got mine for $50) and it (being a powerful parametric eq) can be used for a number of things besides feedback. i use mine for simulating the Bose 901 EQ box curve and sometimes a room response EQ'ing (where i need to tweak some peaks down a bit).

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, HenrikS said:

I was trying to identify some parts of the spectrum that was bugging me in a live situation where feedback frequently happened. That is: (ab)using cakewalk as a live spectrum analyzer. Then trying to fix it in the analog mixer.

The aforementioned ProChannel Quadcurve EQ that others have mentioned has spectrum analysis, but I'd prefer a free plug-in like Voxengo SPAN or Meldaproduction MAnalyzer (the latter is my favorite).

I figured out feedback a long time ago.
First - Not enough Power.  An Underpowered system trying to fill a space it’s to small for will just feedback when you try and achieve full volume. 
Second- pour speaker design and placement. Move the speakers. Don’t use cheap plastic Cabnets that back wash 

Third-  Wrong  choice of mikes. I only use SM series . Even my drum overheads are Shure. 

Very very last thing I do is EQ. A feed back destroyer is just an automatic EQ that quickly trashes you mix. 

But the OP has an interesting idea that might be a useful tool to use once a show has started and my options are now useless. 

Edited by Cactus Music