[Solved] How To Change Midi Channel On All Notes On A Track

Grem

I want to use the notes on a Midi trk , but all the notes are being sent to Midi Channel 6, and I want to change them to Midi Channel 7. I cannot figure out a way to do this all at one time.

I want to send the Midi info to the same  VSTi, SampleTank 3.

Edited by Grem

MIDI tracks have a "channel" attribute (dropdown) that you can set from the default "none" to a specific channel, after which all notes will be output on that channel regardless of the channel they were recorded from.

See: Reference Manual

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read your question thoroughly enough. This may not help you if you want to direct the MIDI notes to a VST that is already loaded on another track.

I'll have to think about this. You can't "bounce" a MIDI track into a new track to get the channel change to be written out along with the data... A CAL script could probably do it but that is getting complicated.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
misread original question
  • Like 1

So the jist of it is, once the channel info is set on a midi note, it seems hard to change them all at one time. I can go into the properties and change the note info one note at a time, but that is unrealistic for a whole trk that has many notes. I am just finding it had to believe there is no way to do this all at one time.

Thanks for your response Colin.

Colin I found the answer on Page 110 of the Reference Manual.

There is a option in the trk header to select which Midi Channel you want the info sent to.

My issue was that my Widget Filter up on top was set to Custom and it was not showing the Channel Widget on the Midi trks. Changed it to All and it shows al the widgets and the Channel Select widget was then visible and I was able to set the trk to send the notes to the channel I want.

image.png.79883c56cd6db7c61d8dda89f2236e8f.png

Never thought about that Steve. That is an easy method too. Thanks. 

I tried the Event Filter, Event List, all of the Midi fx that I thought might give me the results. All with dead ends as far as changing the channel. 

I had the same question a ways back, and also asked it on other forums. But people convinced me it doesn't matter. As long as your vsti's are configured correctly and Cakewalk's inspector agrees with them, it doesn't matter. For example, I do orchestral music and I move whole phrases around from inst. to inst. This cause the channels to get messed up in Event List. So, although I have violins on channel 12 and violas on 13, if I move a melody from the violins to the violas, the violas will suddenly have a bunch of notes on channel 12 instead of 13. but it doesn't matter. It's just an artifact. The new melody will still play correctly (have the right pan, volumes etc) because the initial settings take precedence.

Edited by mdiemer

• 4 years later...