MIDI Keyboard Delay

DallasSteve

Question

I have a MIDI keyboard I have been using successfully to enter notes in Cakewalk for over a year.  This morning when I press a key there is a delay of about 1/4 second from when I press a key to when I hear a sound.  I didn't change any settings in Cakewalk or my computer.  Cakewalk playback of previous work sounds normal.

Steps I have taken so far.  I closed and re-started Cakewalk.  I re-started my PC and almost nothing else is running to slow down the processor.  I ran the Wave Profiler button shown below.  I don't seem to be able to change the Mixing Latency settings in the screenshot below.  I also did a Google search and a search of posts here.  What I found said to try adjusting latency, but I can't adjust it on this screen below.  Is there another way to adjust it?  Can you suggest any other steps I could take to fix this problem?

Cakewalk2.jpg

5 answers to this question

scook

Thanks for the reply.  I think I just found the problem.  I realized one thing I am doing different is I am using bluetooth headphones this morning.  So I turned them off.  It sounds like that solved the problem.  Now when I press a key on the MIDI keyboard I get the normal prompt sound response.  But that leaves me puzzled why the playback in Cakewalk sounds normal in the bluetooth headphones, but the keyboard notes have a delay.  If anyone has a thought on that, I'd be interested.  If anyone knows how to get the delay out of the bluetooth headphones that would be helpful, too.  It's nice to work with them, but I can work with speakers or wired headphones to continue with my project.

Edited by DallasSteve

2 hours ago, DallasSteve said:

If anyone knows how to get the delay out of the bluetooth headphones that would be helpful, too.  It's nice to work with them, but I can work with speakers or wired headphones to continue with my project.

There is no way. Bluetooth is not suitable for real time audio production because of the inherent latency.

• Like 1