USB Expression pedal /MIDI issues in Cakewalk---Resolved

Ozz

Purchased a USB Expression pedal....have never used an expression pedal of any kind before.....essentially got it to use with Amplitube 5 Max (Wah, Whammy, etc).....Getting it to work with the standalone version of Amp5 was pretty straight forward....

However, I'm not sure how to get it to work within the DAW.....and essentially, that's where I really need it to work....

I went in to Edit-> Preferences and played around with the MIDI inputs and outputs....but that doesn't do anything...

Had anyone, by chance, set up a USB expression pedal in Cakewalk?  (If it matters, it's a Crumar UP4)

I know it works, as I had said, it works fine in standalone.

Thanks for any suggestions/assistance.

Does the Crumar UP4 show up in Preferences - MIDI - Devices? If so, is it selected under “inputs”?

Insert the effect that you wish the Crumar UP4 to control into a audio or Simple Instrument track’s effect rack. Make sure that effect’s “MIDI in” in enabled.

Then create a MIDI track with the Crumar UP4 set as its input.  Set the effect as above as its output.  You might need to set the MIDI channel of the track to a specific channel rather than “none”.  Enable “input echo” for that track.

Now open the GUI for the effect you inserted.  Head for the parameter you wish to control.  It might have a MIDI learn function.

Now while I do not have the Crumar UP4, the principle is the same as with any expression pedal that generates MIDI data.

I tested the above with a Yamaha FC7 Expression pedal connected to a PCR-800.  This Expression pedal transmits CC1 events

I used the “WAH 47” effect inside Amplitude 5 and mapped the expression pedal to the WAH parameter using Amplitude 5 MIDI learn function. This allowed me to use the expression pedal to control the WAH parameter in real time while playing the keyboard.

Thanks for the detailed suggestion.....I tried it....unfortunately, no dice....but.....I'll give it another try tomorrow when I'm "fresh"..lol.......the thing works fine with the standalone version of Amp5. 5.....a couple of simple settings changes.... 

At least I know it WILL work...and it works for you...so it's just a matter of setting it up right (I should have just hooked up my actual wah pedal to my interface....lol....but they give you so many wah models in Amp 5, I just had to try)

Edited by Ozz

This is driving me nuts....it works fine with the standalone, but I'm not doing something correctly within Cakewalk.....In addition to what Promidi suggested, I must be missing a step/setting somewhere (or I'm not doing what he suggested exactly right......what kills me is that it's probably a really easy thing to do...but.....full disclosure...I've never been accused of being the brightest bulb in the fixture.....)

I believe I finally got it....lol....Many thanks for your assistance Promidi....there were a couple of your steps I thought I had done (kind of by default), but didn't realize there was actually a place you had to click the setting.

Had a couple of glitches afterwards...where it said I didn't have enough memory to use the pedal as an input....and even froze the program a couple times....but with a few changes, I think (hope) I've got it under control now.

I never would have figured it out on my own......thanks again

• Ozz changed the title to USB Expression pedal /MIDI issues in Cakewalk---Resolved
  • 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Riley Baird said:

One I don't really know where midi in is at lol. On my screenshot I have a midi track and a track with Amp 5 in it. I've tried fresh at doing the steps you said and it still wasnt working. Axe I/o interface with amp 5 

If you are trying to control Amplitube 5, based on the image above the track 1 output should be set to Amplitube and not Axe I/O.

16 minutes ago, Riley Baird said:

On the actual plug in where it says VST3 and then a drop down. I had to actually enable midi on the plugin itself... I didnt know that wouldnt be automated. Is there a way to automate that?

It depends on the plug-in.

Most plug-ins capable of accepting MIDI data have "Enable MIDI Input" automatically selected causing the plug-ins to show up in MIDI track output drop downs.

Some plug-ins require the user to configure the plug-in itself to use MIDI data and manually select "Enable MIDI Input" in the VST2/3 drop down in the plug-in standard header before the plug-in appears in MIDI track output drop downs.

Then there is the issue of an incomplete MIDI implementation in the original VST3 spec and slow implementation of updates to the spec by plug-in manufacturers leading some users to stick with VST2 for certain applications.

I do not have any IKM plug-ins to test.

• 6 months later...

So having this same issue
My Nektar expression pedal works fine in Amplitube....but still not being seen in Cakewalk for the Amplitube plug in
On the Amplitube plugin contrul panel, under teh VST3 menu....I do have "Enable MIDI input" checked
But on any wah pedal....when I try and go to the learn function for the pedal, its still greyed out

Missing a setting on Amplitube or Cakewalk you think ?

Attached are the relevant screenshots

On the controller panel as well everything locked....wont allow any changes either if that matters (screen 3)

vst screen.jpg

midi screen.jpg

pedal panel.jpg

Edited by Marc Shackelford