NI FM8 for $12

Frank

On 8/1/2022 at 12:26 PM, Lionel said:

Such a good deal. I’m hoping this means a new version is on the way 

I would be a little surprised, considering that it's a fairly complete synth which goes well beyond the original concept of being a DX7 synth.  Most of what it needs are more in line with compatibility updates as opposed to features.

But the effects are a bit dated (and while cool, I always thought that PsycheDelay was an odd inclusion)  Who knows, maybe they can include some of their updated effects, add the compatibility stuff, update the interface, and that might be enough to call it FM9 and stick it in Komplete?

Edited by Magic Russ

16 hours ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

SO tracktion fem or NI FM8 ?

If you decide on F'em, make sure you do a deep trial first  I can make F'em crash in any host, any iteration (PC specs in sig).   I have reported this to Tracktion support.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ALC said:

The only that is M1 Native is Kontakt.  I know FM8 isn't listed explicitly.  But everything else seems to work under Rosetta.

I was able to start it up as an AU in Big Sur in One running in native mode and make some noise.  Beyond that, I don't know since I'm not a user of this synth.

That's great news. Thanks so much for trying it out. It's much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 1:25 AM, satyabrata satapathy said:

SO tracktion fem or NI FM8 ?

At $10 I wouldn't leave FM8 behind.

F'em is nice but (AFAIK) the only source of F'em patches is F'em Content Packs from Tracktion.

There's tons of FM8 patches out there, e.g. PluginGuru has had several recent sales, and you can import from multiple formats (sysex (DX7), FM7, KSD?) which means tons of free patches are available.

• Like 2

I was looking at the F.'em deal--even had it in the cart.  In the nick of time I saw the FM8 deal which was better for my budget.  The comments here were very helpful, so I decided for my needs FM8 would be useful and was within my budget.  I am still going through it, but I am very happy with the purchase even if there are better FM soft synths available.  Part of it for me is the full slate of 600 or so parameters I can choose from to play with using Voltage Modular (not all of them at the same time).  Of course, I do have a number of other more costly FM options already.  So, thanks to everyone who chimed in with factors to consider.  They helped me and I hope they help others make their decisions.   

53 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

I'm on the fence. $10 seems like a nobrainer but I honestly think that that Arturia's DX7 sounds slightly better. Other than recreating skrilex-esque bass growls, I'm unsure if it's worth it

True, that Arturia DX7 is remarkably close. But FM8 and definitely F.’em do much, much more with than the original. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fleer said:

True, that Arturia DX7 is remarkably close. But FM8 and definitely F.’em do much, much more with than the original. 

FM8 definitely carved it's own niche that goes way beyond simply emulation. I just wonder if it's worth my while to dive that deeply into a synth when i have too many already lol. One upside of FM8 is there are a ton of resources for learning

• Like 1

I never cared for the sound of the DX7 and the others in the DX line.  Too boring for my tastes.  I opted for Casio's iPD [interactive Phase Distortion] in the form of the VZ-8 which was the same as FM or was totally different depending who was making the legal argument. 

11 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

One upside of FM8 is there are a ton of resources for learning.

From what I have seen, yup!!  Even though I have found FM8's implementation to be quite intuitive, I found a number of very helpful videos to fill in some gaps in my personal knowledge base and hands-on experience.  

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I never cared for the sound of the DX7 and the others in the DX line.  Too boring for my tastes.  I opted for Casio's iPD [interactive Phase Distortion] in the form of the VZ-8 which was the same as FM or was totally different depending who was making the legal argument. 

From what I have seen, yup!!  Even though I have found FM8's implementation to be quite intuitive, I found a number of very helpful videos to fill in some gaps in my personal knowledge base and hands-on experience.  

I owned a cz3000 which was basically two cz1000's. I found it possible to get FM like sounds.  It was also the secret weapon to getting a particular type of bass sound popularized in Jersey house. I do appreciate those DX electric pianos though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

I owned a cz3000 which was basically two cz1000's. I found it possible to get FM like sounds.  It was also the secret weapon to getting a particular type of bass sound popularized in Jersey house. I do appreciate those DX electric pianos though.

The CZ1000 was my first synth, mid-80's. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAGinz said:

For those desiring to pay even less than $10 ….actually zero….for some nice FM sounds, don’t forget about Dexed. Definitely one of my favorite free synths.

I have Dexed and it is awesome for free but head to head it falls very short.  The $10 is an absolute and audible upgrade that is worth it.

14 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

Yup.  I still have my CZ 5000 (the CZ 3000 with the built-in sequencer).  I even found my FSK patch/sequence dump cassette tapes a few months ago. But its the VZ line that has algorithmic flexibility for the iPD and can make real FM-sounding patches as well as all sorts of creative sounds, miles beyond the CZ.  In fact one VZ fan made several banks that put the factory patches (built in and expansion cards) to shame.

Previously I did not find a software FM synth that let me re-create the VZ algorithms.  But I haven't given up.  If anyone is skilled at creating Instruments in MSoundFactory and is interested in trying to re-create a VZ-type instrument, I'm open to working on this.  Or if someone knows a soft FM synth that can implement this, please let me know.                                                                                                    

Casio VZ Algorithm-small single and four.gif

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo -> CZ 5000; to insert image
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Fleer said:

That CZ in the Arturia bundle is quite something. 

I already have Oli Larkin's VirtualCZ (from Plugin Boutique) which meets my needs.  When I first got it, I found some CZ patch dumps I had saved years ago as syx files, loaded them in quite easily, and found that tweaking them was easier than tweaking them in the CZ.  I understand from others in the forum that Arturia's CZ V's sound is a bit closer to the CZ. From a video I watched today, the CZ V GUI brings editing CZ sounds into the 21st century.

My goal was not to mimic factory CZ presets or to make new presets that sound like they would if done on a bona fide CZ, but to have a soft synth that I can use to duplicate as close as possible a couple of dozen unique / original CZ patches I did back in the 80s.  VirtualCZ has allowed me to do that without hurting my wallet.  But thanks for the recommendation.    

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

That CZ in the Arturia bundle is quite something. 

I have that CZ V, as well as the Virtual CZ, and an original CZ1000 (not still in the box). The printed manuals for CZ1000 and the patch book were all you needed to get started with a synth. Big fun, although I was disappointed that the hardware keyboard, 49 full size keys.  was not velocity sensitive. So the soft synth versions now allow me to have that long missing feature! :)

The Virtual CZ sounds just like the original, but I think that I like the UI from Arturia better.

When I used to try to run my CZ1000 through my home stereo (couldn't afford studio monitors in the 80's), the low notes nearly ripped the 12" woofers out of the speaker cabinets. Those fat mono sine waves were nasty!!! 🤪

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2