Staff View: Global Search and Replace of Enharmonic Errors

Michael McBroom

It's been quite a while back that I made this request -- several updates ago, at any rate, so I'm gonna repeat myself. Sorry if this steps on forum rules, but it looks like I was ignored, which I suppose isn't too surprising. I realize the Staff View doesn't rate real high with a lot of folks, but CW does have its share of traditionalists who actually use -- and compose with -- the Staff View. If you're looking at the Piano Roll, an F and E# don't make any difference, but when you look at the music on the Staff, it makes a big difference. 

I'm currently working on a rather lengthy piece with 15 tracks in the key of A (3 #'s), where I make periodic modulations to a Dm7 chord. First of all, I would like to think that CW is intelligent enough, when it sees a Dm or Dm7 or Dm9 or whatever chord how to spell it properly. But this doesn't seem to be the case. So I'm now having to manually go through the piece and correct every single E# to an F in all 15 tracks -- well, 13 really, cuz two are drum tracks.  It's annoying that I should have to do this at all, but it would be very much less annoying if the Staff View had a global search and replace feature (with confirm) to take care of this, the same way any decent wordprocessing software package has had since the 80s.

I also ran into this in another piece in the key of C where, whenever a C# was supposed to occur (think, oh, A major, or D major 7), a Db was displayed instead. Really, CW is gonna spell and A major chord with a Db?  Argggh. Same issue with that piece. Way too much time wasted doing a manual scan and replace.

So, please you baker guys -- how about paying a little attention to the Staff View for a change?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Me too. I've used CW since the first years and miss some of the lost staff view features.

There was a time, when one could drag a note either diatonically or, by holding down both right and left mouse buttons, chromatically.

It was much easier to edit music that was not strictly diatonic.

( I also recall, also , that one could drag a note vertically and keep it in the same same place timewise. Big time saver.)

i sure could use this...