WIN 11 + CbB - what's the latest?

gmp

I've been running Cakewalk on Win11 since release and have had no issues :) That includes running many plugins that weren't officially supported either.

Not sure what issues others have referred to but in my experience Win11 is mostly cosmetic with a few additional features; not a huge amount having changed in terms of drivers/compatability; at least with respect to audio.

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher
  • Like 1

I went to Updates and security on my DAW and MS asked me to let them see optional info for my computer.

"To manage the Windows insider program settings for your service and all it to stay in the Windows insider program you'll need to turn on optional diagnostic data."

I did this and got a message saying my computer did not meet the minimum requirements for Win 11. This is the way it was when WIN 11 first came out and I was told that eventually MS will fix Win 11 so older computers can upgrade.

Any other thoughts on this will be appreciated

Windows Insider is a voluntary program for more up-to date OS builds - I would personally recommend leaving this if you're in it for stability purposes; as often these builds do break things and can be difficult to troubleshoot. You shouldn't need to turn on optional diagnosis data if you're just using the standard OS builds.

If your PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements then I would recommend remaining where you are - given Windows 10 will still be supported for some time to come and there aren't many real justifications for upgrading to 11 anyway - at least with respect to audio/DAW.

If you really want to be on 11 then there is a custom installer that can be used which will remove the restrictions.
These are TPM V2 which is a security restriction to make the device more secure and a minimum supported CPU age.
Both of these restrictions are a little extreme and plenty of people are using it on devices not meeting these requirements, but you're taking a risk of things breaking when they roll out further patches/upgrades, as these older builds are unlikely to be tested as thoroughly, if at all.

There was some talk of some of the restrictions being relaxed but as far as i'm aware these are just rumours at the moment - so I wouldn't hold out hope on that :)

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher
  • Like 1

I asked the question in tenforms.com and now know why MS is doing this.  - for the kick back from OEM's. And because of this, I'd be surprised if they let me upgrade to Win 11. Actually, I have no compelling reason to upgrade, I just figured in time I'd need to. I use my main computer to record audio for my recording studio, so it's vitally important to have a problem free computer.

I'm a strong believer in Murphy's Law, so I often make image files of my boot drive any time I update CbB and do the Win updates.  I never let Win 10 update without me initiating it.

Sometimes because of some weird MS bug, I have to revert back to an earlier image. Or even if I installed Win 11, I could easily revert back to win 10. For now I'll stay with Win 10 and keep life simple

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Windows Insider is a voluntary program for more up-to date OS builds - I would personally recommend leaving this if you're in it for stability purposes; as often these builds do break things and can be difficult to troubleshoot. You shouldn't need to turn on optional diagnosis data if you're just using the standard OS builds.

If your PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements then I would recommend remaining where you are - given Windows 10 will still be supported for some time to come and there aren't many real justifications for upgrading to 11 anyway - at least with respect to audio/DAW.

If you really want to be on 11 then there is a custom installer that can be used which will remove the restrictions.
These are TPM V2 which is a security restriction to make the device more secure and a minimum supported CPU age.
Both of these restrictions are a little extreme and plenty of people are using it on devices not meeting these requirements, but you're taking a risk of things breaking when they roll out further patches/upgrades, as these older builds are unlikely to be tested as thoroughly, if at all.

There was some talk of some of the restrictions being relaxed but as far as i'm aware these are just rumours at the moment - so I wouldn't hold out hope on that :)

Thanks for the useful info. I'll be  leaving Windows Insider Program for stability purposes like you suggested

• Like 1

CbB is running seamlessly on a new Dell Inspiron laptop with Win11 pre-installed, using WASAPI with onboard audio.

I won't be upgrading my 7-year old desktop DAW that came with Win10;  I'll just get a new machine with Win11 (or 12!) when the time comes.

Only one Win10 update caused any issue for me, and it's minor: I now have to power up my old MOTU MIDI interface after the O/S loads or the driver won't load properly.