MIDI input = NONE - possible?

kmather741

I've happily used Cakewalk for many years. I have recently purchased Scaler 2 and Melody Sauce 2, and have started using them in Cakewalk projects. They normally operate as plugins with MIDI outputs.

One annoying issue/mystery seems to have appeared now. Every new MIDI track/instrument I create starts out by showing MIDI input as "Omni". If I click the combo box to get a menu, the menu shows "None" is checked.  (See image below.) "None" is the behavior I really want. But the tracks/instruments actually behave like "Omni" - they respond to all the MIDI outputs being generated by the plugins.

The following clumsy workaround seems to be successful: change the input to "Virtual Controller > MIDI Omni". Since I don't have any virtual controller, I stop getting all the extra MIDI noise. (Or I can select some other physical MIDI port with nothing connected.)

Is this considered normal behavior? Does it need to be this way? (Input "None" on an audio track seems to really mean it.)

midi-input-none-question.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, that thread and the other threads referenced in it are accurate, at least at time they were written.

The current behavior is slightly different.

Starting with 2021.01, if a project

• has a plug-in with "Enable MIDI Output" turn on anywhere in the project and
  • an instrument/MIDI track input is set to None and
  • input echo in enabled for the track

instead of changing the input to "All Inputs - Omni" the DAW will use "All External Inputs - Omni".

The change was made to address the problem of tracks unexpectedly picking up MIDI data from plug-ins in the project.

FWIW, audio tracks will change from None if input echo is enabled for them too.

IOW, input set to None and input echo on are mutually exclusive settings.

Thanks. I'm using the latest 2022.06 build 034.

I guess it raises a slightly different question. Since I am hearing unwanted MIDI data from the plugins, maybe they are appearing as "External Inputs"? Maybe an issue with how the plugins are built?