Folder Locations not retained

Mo Jonez

Question

When I am working on multiple project and open a project file and check where the locations are for saving the project file and the audio experts, Cakewalk always defaults (or retains) the locations from the previous project.  I end up having to change the folder locations to the current project folder each time I move to a diff project.  Is this normal or is there a way to adjust the settings somewhere to default to the current project folder?

Screen shot attached.  Notice the name of the current open project top left and the default folder locations listed on the right from a previous project.  Not sure if I've explained it properly, hopefully it makes sense, happy to provide more details.

Cakewalk folder screen.png

6 answers to this question

Normally the project files entry in preferences is set one time, by default it is "C:\Cakewalk Projects" but may be any path always available to the DAW. If the DAW cannot find the project files path the DAW will silently reset the project files entry to the default. The DAW cannot run without a valid project files entry.

Projects may be created and opened anywhere the DAW has access.  Because of this, if a project is opened any subsequent saves will be relative to the open project's location.

Starting with 2021.09 the default audio export changed from the wave files entry to the export audio files entry. Generally, these preferences are set one time just like the project files entry. For info about the current export process see http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.010.html

You seems to have set some of your default pathways to specific project folders. This is not normally done.

Example I set the first pathway for Project files to the Root of my E drive. I can then choose what I wish to open from there. Most people would only have one Cakewalk project folder but I work with clients as well as I have my own categories like Original songs and Backing tracks. The E drive is only for Cakewalk and Movie studio files. 

The default for exports at the bottom of the list was a placeholder that would automatically put the export folder inside the project folder. You have removed it and replaced it with a very specific pathway.  What I did is set this pathway to a global folder I use called Exports. Inside that folder is different categories for what I'm working on. It is an extra step during export to choose the correct location but worth it for me as I like to be organized that way. And Cakewalk often remembers the location I chose the next time I export that project. They are still fine tuning the export dialogue. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:25 AM, Cactus Music said:

The default for exports at the bottom of the list was a placeholder that would automatically put the export folder inside the project folder. You have removed it and replaced it with a very specific pathway.  What I did is set this pathway to a global folder I use called Exports. Inside that folder is different categories for what I'm working on. It is an extra step during export to choose the correct location but worth it for me as I like to be organized that way. And Cakewalk often remembers the location I chose the next time I export that project. They are still fine tuning the export dialogue. 

Similar to you Cactus, I save projects to separate folders as many are for specific clients and I want to keep the project file and associated wav files, etc.  all in the same client folder... especially the auto generated wave files created during composition and editing.  If I could somehow get back to that to a default that will automatically pick up the current project that would be great, maybe I can find what the original file path was from someone and insert it into the export path, that may be worth a shot. 

@Mo Jonez - it's worth pointing a few things out...

1.  Everything in Preferences is global, apart from the pages under the "Projects" section, which is the only part that deals with per-project settings.

2. The "Wave Files" setting within File->Folder Locations refers to where the CbB Media Browser will point to when selecting "Audio Library" 

3. The "Global Audio Folder" setting within File->Audio Data is where recorded audio data is saved to when you've not yet saved your project, or when you're not using per-project audio folders.

4. When you save a project, you're given the option of saving the project audio data alongside the project file. This is checked by default, and when checked will save your audio in an "Audio" subfolder in the same folder as your project file:

image.png.eab2b8e8c60961e6ec43c16973416887.png

5. For exported audio, the default path is set to be an "Audio Export" subfolder in the same folder as the project (set within File->Folder Locations->Export Audio Files).  However this can be changed within the Audio Export dialog, and the last used location for that project is saved along with the project, so it'll pick up your new location the next time the project is loaded.  If you've not saved your project yet, exported audio will go to an "Audio Export" subfolder under the Global Audio Folder path.

• Thanks 1

I see said the blind man!  By resetting to the original path - thanks @@scook - and utilizing the set of Save As settings for new projects moving forward - thanks @msmcleod - I am back on track and after some testing everything is located correctly when re-opened. 

I get so caught up in new projects and moving folders and files around I forget the basics sometimes.  

Love his forum!