Dragging kik drum audio track to midi track problems

Hi, i am having problems with dragging an audio track to a midi track.

When i drag the audio track to the midi track, in this case a kik drum, the program spends like 10 minutes making midi tracks of everything else in the project as well and stacks them all in the midi track!

I have tried un linking the track, taking it out of the folder, making sure its the only thing selected, changed the default algo in melodyne to perc, made the track have a region before dragging it etc etc nothing helps.... What am i doing wrong?

This is actually how it works - it converts audio to MIDI when you drag an audio track to a MIDI track. It's great for turning melodies into MIDI notes for triggering softsynths.

What's the reason that you're doing this rather than just dragging it to another audio track?

Yeah, apologies - I think I misunderstood the issue in the OP. So the idea was you were planning to do the Audio to MIDI conversion on a track, but instead of just that one track converting, you're saying the entire project is doing it?

Yes I have had this problem and its been discussed on the forum before. What I do as a work around is copy or move the audio way beyond the end of the projects tracks where it is alone, convert it to midi, then put it where you really want it to be. Its a pain when you have many tracks and the conversion does them all on top of each other in the same track! Ill look for the previous discussion on this and see if there were other things I forgot. 

I'm wondering why this would be a problem. I have converted 100's of audio tracks to midi since way back when,  even using Sonar Home Studio. It's a simple process.

Create a new midi track or a simple instrument track. 

I always first move the tracks so they are next to each other to avoid glitches. 

Then I just highlight the audio track and drag and drop it onto the midi track. 

I've never had this not work. 

Sometimes the results were not usable if the audio in question wasn't something simple like a bass track of single drum track. I've even converted a lot of lead guitar solos into midi to use with a synth instead. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering about why this happens too ! Its odd but from posts it does seem to happen to some people. I have converted many myself with no issues before this started happening. I haven't had much time for making music in many months so haven't tried it lately, but it was consistently happening. When it does happen its a sight to see. The receiving track just starts loading overlapping clips/tracks and for me they load right to left from the end to the beginning, all over and on top of each other and I have no idea how to make it stop so waiting seems the only option. So I started moving what I want to convert to past the end of any tracks and it works normally. Maybe its a simple misstep in the process and I would like to know myself.

Gave it a go both before and after upgrading Melodyne Editor 4 to 5 that I hadn't yet installed, and could not reproduce a problem. I also tried with Ripple Edit - All engaged and that didn't cause a problem despite all the clips becoming selected when I clicked on one.

Might need someone to share a problematic project to see if it's project-specific.

I have read posts about the crazy stuff ripple edit can do so the 2 or 3 times I have ever used it I am diligent about turning it immediately off. For me I doubt it is ripple edit related since I  have rarely used it and know to turn it right off. I suspect it has something to do with selecting somehow more than the one you want to convert. My life crazy stuff is getting done so I can get back to music and my curiosity is intrigued again about this. 

Thanks so much for all the discussion. My goal is simply to make a quick midi track of the kick so i can run Superior drummer on it and get a sample going.

Nudging the track 500 seconds to the right to get it out of the song frame, then creating a region using the perc algo on the kik clip, then shift dragging onto a midi track did the trick!

Thank you all for your suggestions on this!

Actually moving the track out of the timeline of the song then back doesn't work. When the midi that was created is moved back to the song position it glitches and halfway though the midi notes goe out of sync. Life is too short for this.

I did finally find a work around for this.

If you take the track to be made into midi and put it in an empty session(that is the same tempo) make the midi track by dragging the audio file to a midi track....(it works in an empty song) then export the midi track and re import to the original song, it works, you just have to line it up to the source track at the sample level.