MODO Drum 1.5 SE $39.99 at APD (3 new kits)

BTP

IK reply: This an update for the software. Do note, this update is just some fixes that we made to the software for a smoother experience for the user. The update fixes small issues such as certain bugs etc.

So it seems in this case it seems that the improvements are not that big, and we can probably do without them.  However, I've responded and suggested that the updating outside of a rather slim 180-day cut-off is rather exploitative.

Edit - in the last minute they replied again to say they've reactivated my downloads. Sure enough, they have, but now there are no updates shown on any kit.

They chop and change a bit don't they? ... worse than a UK Conservative Party leadership campaign (believe me there's nothing worse than that).

Edited by jerrydf
Updated reply from IK
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This is just crazy. Think about what they are saying. Basically they want to surprise charge us for a few unenumerated  minor bug fixes! Indeed, so minor that they are now telling us we don’t really even need them. This whole “180 day” justification is not even on point. The purpose of that 180 day rule (in their own words) was that they wanted to conserve their server space, and we could protect ourselves by just backing up the installers. In this case, they could have just replaced the old with the new on their servers…..and backing up the original installers (as we were urged to do) has not protected us against this bizarre upcharge.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You will not be charged for bug fixes that are in either application/plugin or sound updates.  A sound reactivation is only required if you haven't backed up your sound libraries (if you need to reinstall, most times you'll have these expanded already - I know I've been using the same external drive with my expanded sounds for about a decade - works either connected to or transferred to any new install).

14 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

You will not be charged for bug fixes that are in either application/plugin or sound updates. 

OK, I get that Peter.

But if you go back and read my posts, look at the screen shots I posted, you would come to the same conclusion I have. I would have to pay to get the updated files for my drum kits that I already have.

Let me be very clear:

I have all my kits from MODO 1 d/l, installed, and backed up.

What I don't have are the updated files for the old kits that IKPM is showing me needs updating.

IKPM is also showing me that the D/L period for the old kits is expired. So to get the updated files I would have to pay to d/l them.  However, the d/l period for the new kits (which I got in May) has not expired. 

SO what I am saying exactly is this: If the old kits that came with MODO 1 needed updating to get the full advantage of the new MODO 1.5 features, those file should have been included with my MODO SE 1.5 installer. Users shouldn't have to pay to d/l the new files.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grem said:

OK, I get that Peter.

But if you go back and read my posts, look at the screen shots I posted, you would come to the same conclusion I have. I would have to pay to get the updated files for my drum kits that I already have.

Let me be very clear:

What I don't have are the updated files for the old kits that IKPM is showing me needs updating.

IKPM is also showing me that the D/L period for the old kits is expired. So to get the updated files I would have to pay to d/l them.  However, the d/l period for the new kits (which I got in May) has not expired. 

SO what I am saying exactly is this: If the old kits that came with MODO 1 needed updating to get the full advantage of the new MODO 1.5 features, those file should have been included with my MODO SE 1.5 installer. Users shouldn't have to pay to d/l the new files.

This ^^^^, exactly.

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Let me be very clear:

I don’t think the kits have changed.  I’m in the same boat, with the expired MODO DRUM 1 kits.  On Windows, if I uninstall MODO DRUM, and install 1.5, I get missing kits.  If I first install MODO DRUM 1.1.3 and update to 1.5, then all the kits are there for me.  I mentioned this previously.

6 minutes ago, ALC said:

On Windows, if I uninstall MODO DRUM, and install 1.5, I get missing kits.

What kits are you missing? The 3 new ones?

Or do you mean that all the old kits will be kits missing?

9 minutes ago, ALC said:

I don’t think the kits have changed.

7 minutes ago, ALC said:

I mentioned this previously.

Yes, I remember. Because IKPM is showing all the old kits as having an Update available, leads me to believe there are some up dates to the old kits. With the response Jerry got from IK Support confirms (I believe) that there are some updates to the old kits.

Based on what I am reading. I think IKM should put something in the system where is, if the a new purchase of Modo Drum 1.5 SE is added to an account, if that account already has Modo Drum 1.0, it should extend the download dates for all other Modo Drum kits e.t.c.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

And on it goes….I can’t figure out why IK can’t just clarify in writing this very simple scenario that multiple people have, and which I understand to be as follows;

1. We all purchased original Modo Drums and downloaded and installed contents (with 10 original kits) more than 180 days ago;

2. We all kept it up to date by virtue of any free updates;

3. We’ve all kept backup copies of our installers;

4. We all recently purchased and installed Modo 1.5 SE, which gave us 3 additional kits so that we now have 13 kits. All of these (13) appear to be fully operating;

5. Despite 1-4, above, our PMs are showing an apparently inoperative orange “update” button under the sounds tab, next to each of the original kits, suggesting they are inoperative because the 180 day period for download of the original kits has past.

What goes???

Edited by LAGinz
Clarify

I believe that was due to the changing to the CS/SE/full model but I also believe that you'd still be all set.  I'll have to check with Ryan/Support, as there are some FAQs but none get as specific about the kits at least not in this context so I understand.  In other words, I think the system gets a little funked up for some that had the pre-CS setup but I'll have to get more details on that.

At least I know there are some FAQs and they can't point me to any that I haven't seen (I hope) or tell me to RTFM :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Grem said:

What kits are you missing? The 3 new ones?

Or do you mean that all the old kits will be kits missing?

Yes, I remember. Because IKPM is showing all the old kits as having an Update available, leads me to believe there are some up dates to the old kits. With the response Jerry got from IK Support confirms (I believe) that there are some updates to the old kits.

I was missing the old kits that were in MODO DRUM 1.

If I did an update to MODO DRUM 1.5 from MODO DRUM 1.1.3, it didn't show the old kits needed any update.  Leads me to believe that the kits didn't change (unless it changed if you purchased MODO DRUM SE which doesn't seem right).

Which OS are you running?  I think I had a different behavior on macOS (the upgrade trick didn't work) but I haven't spent time to reproduce that.

18 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I believe that was due to the changing to the CS/SE/full model but I also believe that you'd still be all set.  I'll have to check with Ryan/Support, as there are some FAQs but none get as specific about the kits at least not in this context so I understand.  In other words, I think the system gets a little funked up for some that had the pre-CS setup but I'll have to get more details on that.

At least I know there are some FAQs and they can't point me to any that I haven't seen (I hope) or tell me to RTFM :)

Thx. for looking into it. Now that you mention it, I haven’t been able to locate Modo Drums CS on my computer, even though it’s showing as part of the Modo Drums pruduct line that is checked off as installed and authorized in my PM. Maybe if there is a way of separately downloading and installing that….and hitting restore?

9 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

I haven’t been able to locate Modo Drums CS on my computer,

Me neither.

And I did have CS.

[edit] I don't have any version of CS in my start menu at all.[/edit]

Edited by Grem

28 minutes ago, ALC said:

(unless it changed if you purchased MODO DRUM SE which doesn't seem right).

That is apparently what has happened. I bought MODO Drum SE.

29 minutes ago, ALC said:

Which OS are you running?

Win10

3 hours ago, Grem said:

Yes, but after IK updated things my Product Manager has the time limit restored - now 179 days left on everything, but the drums are no longer showing "Update Available" - just the green "Installed."  Since it was apparently a "minor" update I decided to leave things as they are.

I don't hold out much hope for their new AI modelled amps if this is what they do to IKPM and everything else in the back office. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jerrydf said:

the drums are no longer showing "Update Available" - just the green "Installed."  Since it was apparently a "minor" update I decided to leave things as they are.

Yes, I did read and understand your post. And as LAGinz and I was saying, everything "appears" to work inside MODO drums. And we did discuss this being nothing to really worry about.

We just were pointing out that they updated all the kits and IK was requiring us to pay for the updates.

Thought maybe Peter could get us some answers.

13 hours ago, Grem said:

Yes, I did read and understand your post. And as LAGinz and I was saying, everything "appears" to work inside MODO drums. And we did discuss this being nothing to really worry about.

We just were pointing out that they updated all the kits and IK was requiring us to pay for the updates.

Thought maybe Peter could get us some answers.

In the manual it mentions the "2022 cymbal collection".  The Brit Custom has it. My guess is you get those if you get Brit Custom and they are shared  and can be used in other kits. (I may be wrong).

"It is coupled with the 2022 cymbal collection that includes: 20” Ride 2022, 18” Crash 2022, 16” Crash 2022 and the new Hi-hat 2022. "

"Cymbals: IK, Elegance,Vintage, IKX, 2022 and Custom.

Hi-hat 2022, Crash 16” 2022 , Crash 18” 2022, Ride 20” 2022 "

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mdbritcustom/?pkey=modo-drum-kit-brit-custom

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1