Separating Notes In Melodyne?

Keni

Hi Gang...

I’ve  been using Melodyne for a good 2 years or more now. My editing has been pretty good as I’ve been learning it’s use.

One thing has been eluding me. Separating notes so that head/tail latch of consecutive notes can be disabled allowing editing say the tail if one note without affecting the beginning if the note that folliws.

Most often I can’t get it to work and must seek other solutions. Every once in a while it works so I know I’m missing something.

With time grid disabled, Melodyne Studio 4

I select the note (click on it and it turns red)

R-click to select cut tool

While context menu (tool selection pop up) is open and mouse over the cut tool, I move the pointer up to the Separate Note command and select it. Most of the time this seems to chop the note into two pieces on being a tiny portion of the note beginning. On rare occasions it separated the end of the note from the beginning of the note that follows which is what I was trying to achieve.

So? What am I missing why is such a basic edit eluding me?

I sure would appreciate a little guidance here if anyone can...

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i'm on version 5 editor and the splitting seems to work on even tiny slivers and gaps. i zoom way in and place and split.

Hmmm...

Thanks!

My first lightbulb just went on?

I need to position the time marker as well as select the note! Of course!

I just thought as well... We are talking about separating the note, not splitting. The split tool works fine. I have no problem there.

I guess I didn't explain my dilemma well.

In working note start/end times if you slip the end of one it also drags the beginning of the next. They can be disconnected, but the SEPARATE notes command seems to not heed note selection alone, so with this thought in mind I'm going to see if this affects my need in such...

Thanks again...

Ahhh!

Well... That idea didn't work either, but I did finally stumble on the secret!

This might get more refined as I use it more, but this is the scene...

Select the note

Select the tool split type

Dbl-Click on the vertical line at note junction which has already changed to a different marker appearance

Now using the note slip tool works independent of neigbor notes! At Last I can repeat this!

I may have missed or done things not/necessary and I will clean it up with more use, but at least I'm finally on the path. I really needed this tool as the work arounds have been driving me batty! 😉

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 7:38 PM, Keni said:

Hi Gang...

I’ve  been using Melodyne for a good 2 years or more now. My editing has been pretty good as I’ve been learning it’s use.

One thing has been eluding me. Separating notes so that head/tail latch of consecutive notes can be disabled allowing editing say the tail if one note without affecting the beginning if the note that follows.

Most often I can’t get it to work and must seek other solutions. Every once in a while it works so I know I’m missing something.

With time grid disabled, Melodyne Studio 4

I select the note (click on it and it turns red)

R-click to select cut tool

While context menu (tool selection pop up) is open and mouse over the cut tool, I move the pointer up to the Separate Note command and select it. Most of the time this seems to chop the note into two pieces on being a tiny portion of the note beginning. On rare occasions it separated the end of the note from the beginning of the note that follows which is what I was trying to achieve.

So? What am I missing why is such a basic edit eluding me?

I sure would appreciate a little guidance here if anyone can...

Thanks

Keni,

Check out this Video.  Celemony has a YouTube channel with lot's of video tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/c/celemony/videos

Edited by jesse g

1 hour ago, jesse g said:

Keni,

Check out this Video.  Celemony has a YouTube channel with lot's of video tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/c/celemony/videos

Thanks Jesse.

I got a handle on this tool already but I will checkout some of the other vids as I can. I’ve got a pretty good grasp of most of the tools, but this one eluded me. Luckily, I didn’t need it often and found work arounds in the past. But I always seek to learn more! 🙏

• Like 1