Errors updating Cakewalk with older Win 7 version

Sven

I realize the WIn 7 is no longer supported by both Microsoft and Bandlab but if it's possible I would still like to try and update my older OS Cakewalk.  The last successful update was to version 2021.04.

image.png.94ad290ed9662aff6e1cda6aaedd1d41.png

I have a newer Win 10 machine which is my main work station and it works fine including updates but I'd like to keep this older Win 7 machine working for my children to use.   I'm not sure if it's a Win 7 problem or a Cakewalk updater problem.   Bandlab Assistant hangs at 0/0 on the update process consistently  Cakewalk program updater generates the "Connection Error".  I can't seem to find the thread anymore but someone said the solution was a Win 7 registry fix and this was a known Win 7 issue.  Can someone point me to that thread if that's the problem?

I've read various threads on this issue and most people with update problems are now advised to use the Bandlab Web Installer.  I downloaded the installer but it looks like it wants to do a fresh install.  Is it smart enough to see the existing installation and simply update that version?  

If I can't update this version it's not the end of the world.  The app works fine for almost everything except keyboard shortcut assignments.  If there is an update workaround I'd like to try it.

Thanks.

image.png

I never wanted to use Bandlab Assistant.  It was never part of my life until recently but I was simply trying "whatever worked" to update to a more recent version of Cakewalk.

Does the new installer know that you've already got an installed version working or does it overwrite your old installation?  If it's a completely new installation I want to go in prepared.

Thanks.

When a previous installation is detected, the Cakewalk installer follows the same rules as the in-app update process.

If the installed version is the previous release the update installer is applied otherwise, the full installer is used to update the installation.

• Thanks 1

And to add, it wouldn't have mattered anyway because Cakewalk stores all your settings and preferences in it's core folders so you would not have noticed any difference. It's always bee "smart".  

I've been running the latest versions of Cakewalk on a W7 Laptop for years now and I see no differences in how it works. I only use it for remote recording but otherwise W7/ Cakewalk still works fine. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.ae27e0f64bbe0271b1b53ff4de9109b2.png

I got sidetracked with life but I'm finally back to this update problem.

Since the Check for Updates isn't working in my older version for whatever reason I plan to try a new install.  It sounds like I won't lose my previous settings with a fresh install.    Correct??

Thanks for your help.

14 minutes ago, Sven said:

Since the Check for Updates isn't working in my older version for whatever reason I plan to try a new install.  It sounds like I won't lose my previous settings with a fresh install.    Correct??

It depends.

Simply running uninstall and re-installing does not affect the registry or user modified files on disk.

Running a clean install includes steps to

• remove registry entries used by CbB and all Cakewalk software (step 5),
  • remove the user directories for CbB and all Cakewalk software "%appdata%\Cakewalk" (step 8) and
  • remove everything in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk" which could include all Cakewalk software and any third-party plug-ins installed in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins" (step 9).

I'm just trying to get up to date with the latest version the easiest way possible.  If I download the latest installation program and run it without even uninstalling the current one will I be getting into trouble? 

Normally I would uninstall/clean install but I'm just looking to get my version # up to date as easily as possible.   Updates from the Help menu currently won't work.  It may not be worth updating if I'm going to lose too many previous settings I care about.   

I don't mind telling Cakewalk again where my vst folders are but if it's going to change all my vst presets for Cakewalk or other vst's, or workspace settings I'm used to or anything else too dramatic I'd rather hold off.

Again, I'm just trying to get my version number up to date as painlessly as possible.  Everything is working fine in general.  

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Sven said:

I'm just trying to get up to date with the latest version the easiest way possible.  If I download the latest installation program and run it without even uninstalling the current one will I be getting into trouble? 

Should be OK.

Download the Cakewalk Installer from the bottom of this page and install CbB using it.