Time Heals All Wounds

Barry Seymour

I like this - real folksy feel - reminds me of guy called Mike Silver (folk singer based in the UK that you've probably never heard of).

Anyway, great vocal, nice guitar tone and the bass guitar sounds just great. I like the occasional surprises in the chord track and lyrical craft - tells a good story.

Andy

Edited by AndyB01
  • Thanks 1

Got a sort of Rocky Raccoon feel to the guitar and this ballad is right up my street ...so good, a real story with great lyrics, super M8 and chorus, very understated message that needs a couple of run through's ..everything a ballad needs. Mix spot on and the vocal is clear ..can't say enough good about this, apart from the fact, I wish I had written it ! ..love it a lot plus I always feel 3/4 suits ballads ( 6/8 ? ) much better so it get my vote @ 10

ATB

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I feel I'm continuing to improve in my efforts to record my own music. I also got some good suggestions from a Michael West on the Creative Sauce group on Facebook, suggestions I've implemented with really good results. He recommended a free plugin called 'Wider' (https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/) which adds a sort of stereo effect to a mono signal without any phasing or chorusing. The result is really quite striking, taking a voice in the center and moving it to each speaker / earpiece, making it sound closer and - fascinatingly - more intimate. I have a new mix I'll post later today, but I pretty much feel like this is the last piece of the puzzle. He also recommending adding a little more 'beef' to the bass drum kick, which I've done.

I'll have it up soon.

Great one Barry ! Fantastic vocal quality on this one (as usual). I did feel like the shaker sounded behind the beat. I've always had to move them a little forward , especially if recording the shaker from the metronome section. I absolutely Loved the lead break nylon sounding acoustic. I would really like to know how you captured and processed it. Great Job on a fantastic song .  Enjoyed it ..   mark

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Great one Barry ! Fantastic vocal quality on this one (as usual). I did feel like the shaker sounded behind the beat. I've always had to move them a little forward , especially if recording the shaker from the metronome section. I absolutely Loved the lead break nylon sounding acoustic. I would really like to know how you captured and processed it. Great Job on a fantastic song .  Enjoyed it ..   mark

Thanks, Marky Mark. 🙂 Since the shaker was digital, I suspect it was the rest of the musicians ( i.e. me) who may have been off a bit. I'll take a look. It may end up being easier to move the shaker, ha ha.

As for the lead break, it was a steel string, my old Goya, my chum since the 70s! I recorded it on an Electro-Voice ND 457 microphone, another piece of my 'vintage legacy' (read 'old') gear, my favorite live gig rock mic dating from the late 80s.  (I'm not even sure you can find/buy these any more.)  I really struggled getting a sound for the rhythm acoustic guitar that I considered acceptable, but in the end I got it, using my wife's Takamine guitar and an Audio Technica P46 Cardiod Condenser microphone. After that, the usual tricks - BREVERB and TDR Kotelnikov for the audio effects on the rhythm guitar.

Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2022 at 6:20 AM, STEVE POOLE said:

Got a sort of Rocky Raccoon feel to the guitar and this ballad is right up my street ...so good, a real story with great lyrics, super M8 and chorus, very understated message that needs a couple of run through's ..everything a ballad needs. Mix spot on and the vocal is clear ..can't say enough good about this, apart from the fact, I wish I had written it ! ..love it a lot plus I always feel 3/4 suits ballads ( 6/8 ? ) much better so it get my vote @ 10

ATB

Steve

This was my first attempt ever at recording a song in 3/4. There are no grooves for this in MT Power Drum Kit, so I ended up doing it super-simple by hand. (I'm no drummer.) Thanks for the good feedback.

• Like 1

Great job on the Goya. I didn't realize they also made a steel string version. They and You captured a nice clear nylon sound.  As far as the shaker goes , with a real one , the first rattles come into play when you first start moving  , but the actual "on time beat" is when you quickly Stop and snap your wrist to a dead stop. It seems to me like just about all the Vst's place the instruments sound incorrectly at at the start , instead of the dead stop at the end . It must be hard to program or they would have addressed it by now ..  or maybe it's just me ..   ?    Enjoyed it again ..  mark

• Like 1

Wonderful song. I was sort of surprised by the 3/4 time at first but it works very well.
I remember a while ago you had some problems staying on pitch. I think that was you. Here your voice sounds really good.

1:22  Seemed like something changed, like mono to stereo?

-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 11:29 PM, Barry Seymour said:

Here's the new one. Some of my friends say this is a departure for me. Maybe more like a return to my roots.

Anyway, mixing suggestions welcome.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Wonderful song. I was sort of surprised by the 3/4 time at first but it works very well.
I remember a while ago you had some problems staying on pitch. I think that was you. Here your voice sounds really good.

1:22  Seemed like something changed, like mono to stereo?

-Bjorn

Regarding the pitch problems, I just sang, sang, and re-sang until I got them close enough. I don't have the effortless control I did when I was younger.

As for 1:22, yes, I split the acoustic guitar, clipped out the first verse and panned that hard right. The first track stayed center until the second verse, then I panned it hard left using automation. A nice little build on the second verse, without too much work.

You have a good ear!

Edited by Barry Seymour

I'm not familiar with your earlier work but I really like this return to your roots.  I like ballads and you have a good voice for a soft ballad like this.  The song is really unique.  I like the background violins in the second verse. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 10:19 AM, Jim Fogle said:

I'm not familiar with your earlier work but I really like this return to your roots.  I like ballads and you have a good voice for a soft ballad like this.  The song is really unique.  I like the background violins in the second verse. 

Thanks, Jim. Much of my recorded output (since February 2020, when I finally figured out Cakewalk) has been more rock oriented.

Barry Seymour Music on YouTube

I did do more than a few solo acoustic gigs back in ancient times, however.

The strings are the BBC Orchestra Discover plugin, which I found for free.  https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/ I think it sounds marvelous!

Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1