Cakewalk's Plug in Signal flow

22 hours ago, David Baay said:

Interesting, My experience with hardware mixers is pretty limited and I hadn't ever encountered that.

'gate every FX in the signal path' is kind of an odd way of describing what's happening. You're gating the signal (from a clip in CbB or from a tape in the analog world), and that gated signal is passed on to the next effect if there is one. So all the FX see an altered signal, but their behavior isn't directly affected by the gate except to the extent that they might respond differently to the altered attacks and decays in the signal.

I suppose my gate example was on point but maybe I could have had a better example. I think the use of an Aux track or a parallel track would do the trick. It's ironic I always knew FX plug ins cascaded from one plug in to the next, I just never got deep into every single possibility of signal processing. That's what I've been trying to do lately.

With the help of you, Steve and others here you've given me some insights. Thank you very much.

• 8 months later...
On 7/25/2022 at 6:57 AM, scook said:

Using clip FX racks may require multiple instances of the same plug-in; one for each clip needing the effect.

If you need to reduce CPU hits, you could bounce all clips using the same FX together so there's only one instance, and allow any adjacent clips to overlap it.

Curious why Gain is at the top of CV strips but comes after Volume & Pan in TV and Track Control Manager.